Mt. Rigi & Mt. Pilatus & Rhein Falls in one day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 14:36:38 #815197

Hi,

I’ll (with my wife and 8 years dayghter) be in Switzerland from 31.05.18 – 06.06.18.

We have taken 8 days Swiss Travel Pass and intend to do Mt. Rigi / Mt. Pilatu and Rehine Falls on one day. Can it be done in one day if we start early. Also help me with the best route.

We are staying at Swiss Tour Apartment in Lucerne .

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 18:59:38 #881356

Hi zatakiap78,

No I think that is too much for one day – perhaps two of those would be fine though.
    Use the Swiss Railways timetable here to plan out the trips that day and see what can work for you and your family. The timetable will give you the most direct options automatically to get to each destination.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 23:05:11 #881357

Far too much for one day I think, especially with an 8 year old.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 5:59:30 #881358

At first, Thank You So Much For The Reply.

So, I’ll opt out Rehine falls.

Can Mt. Rigi and Pilatue be combined in one day.

My stay is for 6 days in Switzerland from 31.05.2018 – 06.06.2018

My tour itinerary as below

4 Nights in Paris –

Day 1 leisure as will reach at around 19.30.

Day 2 City Tour

Day 3 Disneyland

Day 4 Leisure

Day 5 Move to Lucerne via Basil & will be staying in Lucerne for my stay in Switzerland at Swiss Tour Apartment.

Day 6 Day trip to Geneva via Montreux on Golden Pass and back in night to Lucerne (Day will be long but will cover it in one day)

Day 7 Mt. Jungfrau

Day 8 Schilthorn

Day 9 Mt Titlis

Day 10 Mt Pilatus / Mt. Rigi

Day 11 Leave for Zurich – Day time city tour and catch flight at around 21.30

Now

On Day 6 : Can I do Golden Pass and Geneva City in one day.

Day 8 : Schilthorn – Is there any other option. Or can you suggest any other excursion for that day.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 8:03:56 #881359

Day 6: Yes, I’d get an early start though. You can take a regional train back to Lucerne which will be quicker.

Day 8: It depends on whether you want another mountain excursion but it is free with the Swiss Travel Pass – but it is quite far from Lucerne (just like Jungfraujoch). As an alternative excursion what were you thinking? Another mountain option? Boat cruise? Have a look at what can be done closer to Lucerne here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 12:48:55 #881360

Thank You

How about doing on Day 8

Option 1: Stanserhorn in the first half and than post lunch do Rehine Falls

Option 2 : Gotthard Panorama Express

Also let me know whether my itinerary is good for my holiday in Switzerland. If any changes kindly suggest

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 16:10:49 #881361

I think with all the mountain trips you would have already done I would try the Gotthard Panorama Express on Day 8. Read about the trip details here. The total trip time, one-way, is about 5 hours with the lake cruise but the return trip (if done on the fast trains and using longer tunnels( can be done in 2 hours).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 17:11:00 #881362

Thank You

So for day 8 will do Gotthard Panorama Express.

I’m missing out on Rehine Falls which I hope to see. Can you please suggest me on which day can I do it.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 April 2018 at 18:35:50 #881363

Hej,

For your trip to Geneva on Day 6 via Montreux: To speed things up you might consider doing your return trip via Biel/Bienne and Olten. It is longer in kilometres but much quicker in time because these are lines where the fastest trains run. Since you are using a Swiss Travel Pass, all your travel is covered. If time is not that critical, you could go via Berne.

I don’t usually ask why people have this place or that in their itinerary, but I am curious what you are planning to do in Geneva. I ask this because if you have nothing special, you could consider getting off the train in Lausanne and this would give you a bit more time to do things on the way back to Lucerne.

In the same way, I notice that you are planning to go to all of the following: Jungfrau, Schilthorn, Titlis, Pilatus, and Rigi.. That’s a lot of mountains ! Are you planning on going up to the Jungfraujoch? I see you have Jungfrau on one day and then Schilthorn on the following day. I am thinking that you could do both of these in one day, but will leave it to the train experts to comment. If this would work, you could free up a day which could include a trip to the Rheinfall, and possibly Stein-am-Rhein.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:18:26 #881364

Day 9 seems the most manageable for the Rheinfalls if you are only going to Titlis that day.

Perhaps drop one of the 3 Lucerne mountains and make a day of the Rheinfalls and Stein am Rhein as Peterli mentions.

Have a read through my trip report from last year.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:25:19 #881365

How can Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn be done in one day.

It would be great for me if I could do these two peaks in one day as I will save a day and can do

Option 1:Rehine falls.

Option 2: Gotthard Panorama Express

What would you suggest.

And thanks for suggesting Lausanne. I will work it out and opt out Geneva.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:41:26 #881366

Here is something about Lausanne. It is in French but I am sure that the photos will enchant you. http://www.my-lausanne.com/fr/vues-incontournables-instagram-lausanne/ At top right you can click on “English” but it will take you away from the article to My Lausanne, where I see there is a list of 50 things you must do in Lausanne, and many other things, so click away ! Lausanne is beautiful and vibrant, definitely my favourite of the “big” cities in Switzerland. You can sense that it is alive ! For slightly smaller cities, it is hard to top Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 23:35:28 #881367

By the way, there is nothing wrong with Geneva as a city to visit…

There are a lot of steep hills in Lausanne. Geneva is less hilly.

The main concern I have about this overall itinerary is that it is exhausting, and trying to do everything from one base in Luzern adds to that. Be careful of packing in too much on consecutive days without a break in between.

The advantage of a trip all the way to Geneva would be the chance to relax on the train. Travel out by Goldenpass and back on line IR15 Geneve – Bern – Luzern

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 4:06:04 #881368

Thank You

My stay is booked for 6 nights at Lucerne. I’ll be in Switzerland for 6 nights and 7 days.

I plan to do 3 Peaks (Jungfrau, Mt. Titlis and Mt. Rigi / Mt. Pilatu) and also want to do sinic trains Golden Pass and Gotthard Panorama Express, I also want to do Rehine Falls.

I can also do alternate days train and peaks so it’s less tiring.

How can Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn be done in one day. This will help me save a day and can cover two attractions.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 April 2018 at 5:12:54 #881369

<< How can Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn be done in one day >> Take a look at the attached map. I have indicated the Schilthorn, the Jungfraujoch station, and Lauterbrunnen, which will be the best starting point for both ascensions. I have drawn a red arrow at the bottom of the page so that you can see the scale of this map. They are really not that far apart. The views from these two locations are quite different. I suggest you look for videos on YouTube. If the weather is not good, I think I would not spend the considerable amount it costs to go to the Jungfraujoch. On the other hand, the trip to the Schilthorn is now free, and you get much more of a panoramic view from up there. Remember that when you are at the Jungfraujoch you are not at the top of the Jungfrau, nowhere near it. You are in a relatively level shoulder between the Mönch and the Jungfrau. However, from there you have a closeup view of the glacier running off to the Valais to the south. Also, there is a station midway up to the Jungfraujoch, called the Eigerwand, hollowed out inside the Eiger, which has windows in the face of the west wall of the Eiger from where you can gaze down and out. I’m not sure how long the train stops there, so if you are not aware of this, you might have to wait for the next one coming up, and this will cut some time out of your day. And oh yes, it will be chilly in both of these locations. Dress appropriately.

I notice that you are quite set on staying in Lucerne for all 6 nights of your visit. Just keep in mind that this is going to add to travelling time (not to mention duplication and more of certain runs). So I suggest that you aim for as early a start as possible from Lucerne to go the Jungfrau/Schilthorn region. I wouldn’t worry about coming back after it is dark as you are going to see the same scenery the day you chose for your day trip on the Golden Pass to Montreux and beyond.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 April 2018 at 5:45:32 #881370

Hello 1960man,

<< By the way, there is nothing wrong with Geneva as a city to visit…>> There is certainly nothing wrong with Geneva, but in my humble opinion Geneva pales when compared to Lausanne as a place for tourists. Perhaps some of the other contributors will chip in with their opinions.

<< There are a lot of steep hills in Lausanne. Geneva is less hilly. >> True, and this adds to the charm of Lausanne. I will attach an image of Lausanne done around 1820, two hundred years ago. It is in a spectacular location. There is also a fine public transportation system (even Switzerland’s only Métro) to help people navigate, and avoid getting pooped out on the steeper slopes.

<< The main concern I have about this overall itinerary is that it is exhausting, and trying to do everything from one base in Luzern adds to that. Be careful of packing in too much on consecutive days without a break in between.>> I agree that having one base in Lucerne is going to add to travel time. Our visitors are only in the country for six days and so it’s kind of understandable that they don’t want to spend too much time relaxing. I guess they want to max every moment.

<< The advantage of a trip all the way to Geneva would be the chance to relax on the train.>> The train run to Geneva is about three quarters of an hour, and so both ways that is about two hours taken out of their day right there, if one includes walking from and back to the train station in Geneva. I would rather go down to the port at Ouchy and take a ride on one of the boats. Or if I wanted to really relax, go down to the water’s edge and find a nice comfortable park bench. << Travel out by Goldenpass and back on line IR15 Geneve – Bern – Luzern >> Agreed, and as I stated yesterday, it would probably be even quicker going via Neuchâtel and Bienne as far as Olten and then catching another fast train from there to Lucerne. It will be dark and so I won’t even mention coming from Berne to Lucerne via the Emmental. (oops, I just mentioned it). But I leave it to the train experts (are you reading this, Rockoyster ?) to pronounce on this.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 14:30:28 #881371

These forums are so very helpful and informative.

Can you suggest me any alternate excursion if I happen to opt out any one peak.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 April 2018 at 18:23:29 #881372

You might consider reducing the trio of Pilatus, Rigi, and Titlis to two of these.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 4:15:09 #881373

With Swiss Travel Pass, how much will is cost for 2 Adult and 1 Child – 8 years:

For Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis.

How do I make prior reservations or should I buy tickets at the counter.

Is it required to carry printout of the tickets?

For Goldenpass and Gotthard Panorama Express are reservations required or can we board without reservations?

And if required from where can we reserve seats.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 9:13:15 #881374

Prices for Jungfraujoch can be found here and for Mt. Titlis here. I would buy the tickets on the day you go up. You never know what the weather is like.

For the Golden Pass it’s not needed to make reservations for the whole trip, although we recommend reservations for some trains on the Montreux to Zweisimmen leg. You can make reservations here. Please note that you cannot make reservations in May due to construction works.

You do need seat reservations for the Gotthard Panorama Express. You can do that here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 11:58:28 #881375

So in your opinion, its best to buy tickets on the day itself. Fine.

Golden Pass is free – With Swiss Travel Pass and no reservation required – I’ll be taking Luzern to Interlaken to Zweisimmen to Montreux leg. Am I Right?

For Gotthard Panorama Express – Boat Ride is free

And reservation required for Flüelen-Bellinzona-Lugano – can this be done on the day of the trip.

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 60 total)
  • The thread ‘Mt. Rigi & Mt. Pilatus & Rhein Falls in one day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.