Mülibach Falls – Giessbach Falls trail

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 5:49:14 #825016

I am looking for details of this walk . From website of Giessbach hotel I understood there is a stroller friendly path from Isetwald to Giesbach falls (not the one next to lake but at some elevation from lake). From some other tripadvisor posts I am guessing it is same path from Mulibach falls to Giessbach falls but not able to get confirmation. If anyone has walked this path could you please provide details about :

1. where does the trail begin in Isetwald?

2. How to reach the starting point by public transport. Once we reach Giessbach I guess we can walk down towards lake and then take boat to Brienz.

3. Is the path completely stroller friendly ?

regards,

Suri

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 9:30:01 #928844

Hi Suri –

This link….and the links on the page…will give you a lot of information about that walk. You can access an “enlarged map.” A height profile is included.

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/routes/route-0360.html

I last walked it many years ago, from Giessbach to Iseltwald. Memories have faded. However, I recall that the the stretch between 6and 7 on the profile:

images0.schweizmobil.ch/files/WL_360_00_HP.pdf

was fairly steep and not a smooth trail.

This map shows the trail in yellow (the least demanding kind) , not red, which means that it is not a “mountain hiking trail” and does not require boots, hiking staff etc. Yellow trails can still be steep, and do not guarantee suitability for strollers.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2642415.01&N=1175590.71&zoom=6

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 14:31:37 #928845

Thank you Slowpoke. I guess we will skip it then.

I was referring to this page http://www.giessbach.ch/en/walking-bicycling.html

For trail marked ’15 High trail to Iseltwald’ they have mentioned ‘well maintained trail, suitable for children’s buggies’ so i thought this is some different route.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 15:30:34 #928846

I’ll spend some more time with the maps.

The link you provided does not give a very clear picture of the entire route. However, the description that they provide is promising. Don’t give up yet.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 17:16:42 #928847

Hello Suri,

I am quite sure that the route you mention, No. 15 in your map, is suitable for children’s buggies as I was there last summer, although I didn’t take the entire route, I chose a different one in the end.

From what I saw the path is wide (wide enough for a car) and mainly either hard soil and partially concrete, so I believe you should be fine.

Maybe Slowpoke or somebody manages to find more details.

Best,
    Steph

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 17:38:14 #928848

Hi Steph –

Good news.

The maps show more than one trail along the hillside, and perhaps the route from Switzerland Mobility picks a more scenic route, instead of the easiest.

Thanks,

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 January 2020 at 17:41:14 #928849

Hey there! 🙂

As said, I DIDN’T walk the route entirely, I chose the path zigzagging down to the lake, and that’s for sure NOT suitable for prams. But from what I saw it was a typical “Spazierweg”, as we would call it, nature material, but hard, wide and nice to walk on.

Best,
    Steph

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 January 2020 at 18:40:42 #928850

My concern is at the end near Iseltwald. Depending on which direction you hike it, you have to go up or come down a 100+ meters unless you take advantage of some of the roads and trails that have a more gradual ascent/descent.

The height profile on the Switzerland mobility map shows that.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2640810.01&N=1173715.71&zoom=8

Further toward Giessbach from Farnihubel which just shows on the map at this scale (scroll to the right), the trail looks good. That would lead to the part that you saw.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2020 at 8:06:46 #928851

Thank you Steph ans Slowpoke. I wanted to walk this trail from Iseltwald to giesbach so that we could reach the fall early morning and then proceed to Ballensberg museum by 11. The issue with public transport is that boats to giessbach are starting at 10 so we if we explore falls and then proceed hardly any time will be left to explore museum. I will try to rework my itinerary.

In case you guys get to know the starting point for this trail in Iseltwald reachable by public transport please do let me know. It will be great if I can still carry on as per my current plan of walking this trail as early as possible with strollers ofcourse 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 January 2020 at 9:57:24 #928852

Hi Suri –

We understand what you would like to do, and it makes good sense to go in that direction for the reasons that you have stated.

I am still working at the maps, and my memories of which exact trail I took near Iseltwald. I think that there may be a possible route to meet your goals. However, I think that some parallel approaches to learning more would help. I can see ways to get to the trail from Iseltwald that could probably involve smooth trails or roads, but I will need to formulate a clear way to show them to you and let you confirm them with the local experts

You might contact the hotel directly and explain your problem. Their map does not cover the part of the trail #15 that concerns me, closer to Iseltwald.

The tourist information office at Brienz will quite likely be helpful.

http://www.brienzersee.ch/en/info-service/tourist-offices-in-the-lake-brienz-area/brienz-tourist-office

[By the way, I just noticed that if you look at the picture of the tourist office, you can see on the right that there is a sign showing the route for strollers to get to the railroad platform. They certainly are aware of strollers.]

If you wish to wait a day or two before contacting them, I should have a marked up map or two for you. You can then use it to ask specific questions about the best way to get up from Iseltwald and onto the smooth trail that is described on the hotel web site as #15.

Meanwhile, no matter whether I can point out a smoothly paved route or not, there is one issue which we have not clearly resolved.

Do you understand that no matter what smooth route is available, when you start from Iseltwald to go to Giessbach, you will have to climb from about 566 meters altitude to a high point of 711 meters, and that the first section of the route will require a climb of at least 100 to 110 meters (or more) in about 1 km of distance. Are you prepared to push your child’s stroller up such a hill?

Here is the topographic map that I am looking at, if it helps you to understand that. I have not marked it up yet.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2641133.98&N=1173793.93&zoom=8

You can switch that map from colored map view to aerial photograph view, if it helps.

This map shows a marked route, with the starting point at the ship landing in in Iseltwald clearly noted. However, it requires an immediate steep climb from 566 to 693 meters elevation in a very short distance of about 1/2 to 3/4 of a kilometer, directly up the hill by Iseltwald.

map.schweizmobil.ch/?lang=en&land=wanderland&route=360&layers=Wanderland&photos=yes&bgLayer=pk&logo=yes&season=summer&resolution=2.5&E=2640512&N=1173306

More later…. but not till tomorrow from me. Others may have better knowledge of the details. The geography is clear. There is a notable climb. What is not clear is the quality of the route up from Iseltwald to get on the trail to Giessbach.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 January 2020 at 10:03:48 #928853

Hi Suri,

Hikes are not my strong suit but can you not just reverse this – http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/giessbach-iseltwald?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 January 2020 at 10:07:28 #928854

Hi Rockoyster –

According to the “map” from the hotel, that route is not suitable for strollers. Check the link in the 3rd post in this thread.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 January 2020 at 16:01:07 #928855

Hi Slowpoke,

Really appreciate your help. I will wait till you mark the trail on map. I hope it’s not too much trouble for you. We are travelling in may so there is no hurry. I will write to tourist information center as well has hotel with reference to map you provide.

I think we should be able to manage strollers..kids can walk some portion too as they are 3 & 4 year old.

regards,

Suri

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    28 January 2020 at 21:46:10 #928856

<<“I hope it’s not too much trouble for you. “>>

It is not a lot of trouble. I have the computer tools to do it easily. I just want to make sure it is very clear, and good pictures wit a bit of text on them will do that.

I’ll get to it tomorrow or the next day. Just have a couple of other things that I need to do.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    29 January 2020 at 22:46:20 #928857

Hi Suri-

I’m doing it in two portions.

First, today, will be to consider following the trail shown in Switzerland Mobility, at:

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en/hiking-in-switzerland/routes/route-0360.html

It has the advantage of being a known and marked trail, and that web page has lots of useful information about it, such as a height profile. Next post…probably tomorrow…. I’ll discuss a possible diversion which may be worth considering.

We know from the Giessbach Hotel “map,” (I quote – “A wonderfully scenic route over mostly open land, well maintained trail, suitable for children’s buggies). We also read Steph’s observation of one end of the trail near the Giessbach Hotel, and this comment from the Switzerland Mobility web site:

<<“After a short walk you reach the Mülibach Falls – a wonderful, mystic

spot above Iseltwald. You hike along a well maintained hiking trail

through a forest, then across open fields with views of Lake Brienz to

reach the impressive Giessbach Falls, which cascade over 14 steps into

Lake Brienz.”>>

that the trail is “well maintained.”

I have looked through my files of paper maps, and found the one that I carried as I did the walk in June, 1996. My memory has faded somewhat , and my notes are not complete, but I can recall recall some general items. Indeed, the trail ( I took it from the Giessbach toward Iseltwald) is a good trail in my memory. I diverted partway along the trail to Iseltwald, and headed downhill , which diverted route I shall discuss further after some more general information, in my next post in this thread, probably tomorrow.

So, the first task is to figure out where there might be some problems for a stroller if you follow the Switzerland Mobility route. As a way to do this, I have started with their map , made a screen grab, and added some comments in my first attachment. Take a look at that attachment. I have circled two areas of concern. I’ll discuss the first one in this post.

I then switched to the maps of the SwissTopo website –

map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=swisstopo&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&E=2640663.47&N=1173264.02&zoom=9&layers=ch.swisstopo.amtliches-strassenverzeichnis,KML%7C%7Chttps:%2F%2Fpublic.geo.admin.ch%2FX-zbcggpRz-GgyBn6mrj2Q,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_opacity=0.85,1,1,1

which have the advantage that you can turn trail color markings on and off on the map.. As a reminder, the yellow trails are suitable for walking with ordinary (but sturdy) shoes. They will have a good surface, which may have loose gravel, and may be steep. They do not have to be level.

I have attached two marked up maps, screen grabs from the SwissTopo map,focusing for this post only on the Iseltwald area circled in the first attachment. The ship landing is noted.

I have also attached one poor quality photo from Wiki. There are better ones, particularly one useful stock photo from Alamy, which may be copyrighted, at this link. Since it may be copyrighted, I did not copy it here.

http://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+Iseltwald&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=ACYBGNSS9r_5f-Udqh1HS4ynEcvwyfnR9w:1580334144194&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=M7Q1ygSR4OnjBM%253A%252CElUC3mLpYhQRdM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kR4vSD5xL0W94U1YFGPlTmUMQhX-w&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjk5qm646nnAhVhZTUKHU4pANYQ9QEwAnoECAoQCA#imgrc=M7Q1ygSR4OnjBM:

The comments I marked on the map, and the images point out a couple of problems.

First, the climb up the hill to reach the the trail is is quite steep. You do not climb all the way up to where the patch of green shows. You climb to just above the autoroute. You cannot see the autoroute in the Wiki Photo. In the Alamy photo, it is visible on the hill side in the right hand part of the image.

In the marked up map, with color coded trails, you can see an arrow pointing to a jagged line, just above the autoroute,near the number 634..

If you look at the actual map on the website, linked here, and zoomed in, near the blue triangle, you can see that there is climb of about 40 meters in a distance of about 50 meters, to get to the marked trail:

map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=swisstopo&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&E=2640153.21&N=1173028.47&zoom=11&layers=ch.swisstopo.amtliches-strassenverzeichnis,KML%7C%7Chttps:%2F%2Fpublic.geo.admin.ch%2FX-zbcggpRz-GgyBn6mrj2Q,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev&layers_opacity=0.85,1,1

That is really steep. I don’t think that you could manage that.

However, on the map that I have marked up, I have put a green line beside another trail, on a road, close to the autoroute, which doe not go to the Mülibach falls, but, instead offers a short cut to the trail to Giessbach. It still climbs about 35 meters before connecting with the trail, but it is done over about 300 meters of distance, which should be possible. It continues through Louberli, and the makes a left turn at Steinera, where the trail leaves the road. (Check various maps). Some of it passes through a small meadow. Since it can be seen to be a road, if you switch the this link to “Aerial Image”, it is likely to be OK for a stroller.

map.geo.admin.ch/?lang=en&topic=swisstopo&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.swissimage&E=2640258.97&N=1173123.93&zoom=12&layers=ch.swisstopo.amtliches-strassenverzeichnis,KML%7C%7Chttps:%2F%2Fpublic.geo.admin.ch%2FX-zbcggpRz-GgyBn6mrj2Q,ch.bav.haltestellen-oev,ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&layers_opacity=0.85,1,1,1&layers_visibility=true,true,true,false

( You can make the hiking trails appear by clicking on the appropriate box in the menu)

Once it diverts from the road, it is on the official trail marked on the Switzerland Mobility map, and, if we can believe the descriptions, should be OK for a stroller.

But, there is a small concern that the trail conditions may not be as good near the Mülibach Falls as they are closer to Giessbach. You would have to ask about that.

Another concern –

We come to a different concern as we look further along the trail toward Giessbach. That concern is that from that point where the road joins the official trail close to the Mülibach Falls, onward to where the trail passes Farnihubel ( see marked up map) there is a further substantial climb to the highest point of the trail.

(That is shown in in the height profile as point # 7 —

images0.schweizmobil.ch/files/WL_360_00_HP.pdf)

The climb is about another 100 meters.

Even though it is presumably on a good trail, it is a noticeable climb. You would need to consider it and your family/ strollers, etc.

That’s all for today.

There is a possible alternate by using a road up from Iseltwald with a more gradual slope, then catching the trail in the area noted in the second circled area on the first ( Switzerland Mobility ) map.

Slowpoke

PS – SwissTopo has an amazing 3-D viewer that ought to be helpful, but I’m just learning to use it:

help.geo.admin.ch/?id=28&lang=en#/

http://www.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/maps-data-online/maps-geodata-online/3d-viewer.html

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 January 2020 at 0:49:08 #928858

Also found this image-

http://www.picfair.com/pics/06985969-iseltwald-near-interlaken-aerial-view-switzerland

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 January 2020 at 23:07:36 #928859

Hi Suri-

I was working on map details for a route that takes a road out of Iseltwald and goes up more gradually to join the trail near Gool.

I’ll have to delay completing that till this weekend.

See Figure 4, attached.

However, while trying to figure out some of those trail conditions, or note which you should ask about, I had another thought.

Would you consider the following?

Bus from Brienz to Giessbach, stop named “Brienz BE, Abzw. Giessbach.

Bus at 1004 arrives at 1015. Walk the trail on the part known to be good for a few km, then turn back to Giessbach. Catch the bus at the same station, back to Brienz, departing 1304, via change at Brienz (arr. 1319, depart 1336), and arrive Ballenberg West at 1348?

The only problem that I can see is how to fit in lunch. There does not seem to be a restaurant or cafe at Ballenberg. You can ask. You can probably buy sandwiches at the Brienz station , but I’m not sure of that… Tourist Info is right there, to ask.. There are later departures from Brienz at 1406 ( arr Ball. West at 1415) and 1436 ( arr. 1448) but that might get you to Ballenberg too late.

At Giessbach that would give you a bit under 3 hours to walk on the trail. At a leisurely pace, maybe 3 km out and 3 km back……It would get you almost as far as Gloota ( see Switzerland Mobility map in the post yesterday, reattached to this post). Some of the trail would be wooded, but there are stretches through open meadows at about 2 to 2 1/2 km from Giessbach.

Your thoughts?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2020 at 5:43:34 #928860

Hi Slowpoke,

Your idea of taking bus from Brienz is really good. I think i would be more comfortable with walking known part of trail and we can always turn back if we don’t find trail stroller friendly. Carrying lunch along won’t be a problem for us.

Thank you so much for helping with this.

regards,

Suri

Anna
    6274 posts
    31 January 2020 at 10:35:00 #928861

Hi Suri,

You can find information about the Giessbach Falls-Iseltwald trail here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/giessbach-iseltwald/route

More details here: http://www.interlaken.ch/en/tour/an-idyllic-walk-along-the-banks-of-lake-brienz

Some parts of the trail may not be stroller friendly.

If you are pressed for time, I would recommend taking the bus as far as Grandhotel Giessbach. From there you can do a short 1km hike to the waterfalls across 2 bridges and a walkway directly underneath the falls. Once you are done admiring the views at the top, you can walk down to the hotel. There’s a playground and a place to picnic next to the hotel. From here you can walk the paved trail (ideal for strollers) all the way down to the lake to catch a boat to Brienz, and onwards to the Ballenberg Museum.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 January 2020 at 11:13:46 #928862

Thanks Anna.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 January 2020 at 12:19:46 #928863

Hi Suri –

<<“I think i would be more comfortable with walking known part of trail and

we can always turn back if we don’t find trail stroller friendly.”>>

Just want to be sure I understand. You plan is to walk partway along the high quality trail toward Iseltwald, then turn back to Giessbach as the way to finish the hike. You might also spend a little time around the Giessbach Falls themselves, if you wish.

If that is correct, please confirm and I’ll stop work on finding a suitable route for strollers down to Iseltwald at the other end of the trail.

I have found a couple of possibilities to accomplish that walk at the Iseltwald end , one of which connects directly with a road near the Gloota interchange of the autoroute, which road goes gradually down hill to Iseltwald. However, I am still trying to figure out if it is safe. The first section of it It is not a marked hiking trail. I have also found a marked trail connection that looks possible, with one short (250 meter) downhill section that might be troublesome for strollers, but probably could be walked by the kids if necessary on part that section.

Neither one of those routes is guaranteed for strollers, but it is possible for me to complete that work over the weekend and post marked up maps that you could use to ask at the tourist office in Brienz or even at the hotel Giessbach. I will do it only if you think you want to go all the way to Iseltwald. ( I don’t think you will have time, because you’d need to get a boat back to Brienz).

Please confirm – definitely do not want to walk all the way to Iseltwald..

Anna’s suggestion to take some time around the falls is at Giessbach could be a good one and can be included in the almost 3 hours you will have at or near Giessbach. However, note the attached map. There will be a steep climb near the falls. It may not be suitable for strollers or young children. You can see for your self.

The links that Anna provided are confusing. They mix up two different trails. Mostly, they discuss the trail along the shore, but at at one point, they say :

<<“There’s a bus stop near the top of the falls. From there, you can walk

down along the falls (follow the signs “Giessbach/See”) and start the

hike.”>> That could possibly be on the high quality path that we have discussed extensively here.

Most of the rest of what she linked is about the one along the shoreline and that is not suitable for strollers. I have not walked that one, but many such trails are a bit rough, as they navigate rocks and cross small streams That causes a lot of short ups and downs. I can understand why it could be a problem for strollers.

Slowpoke

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Mülibach Falls – Giessbach Falls trail’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.