Munich to Luzern via Voralpen Express

• Rayne
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 February 2020 at 6:32:01 #825065

Hi, hoping I can get some advice to clarify thoughts for our trip to Switzerland this April/May. We will be leaving Munich in the morning and staying in Luzern that evening – I have seen online a trip that is:

München Hbf to St-GallenEC 196

07:14

München Hbf

10:53

St-Gallen

3h 39m

10m transfer time

St-Gallen to LuzernD 2018

11:03

St-Gallen

13:21

Luzern

2h 18m

Can anyone tell me if the St-Gallen to Luzern journey would be on the Voralpen Express, or do other trains also run on this route?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    1 February 2020 at 7:10:08 #929167

Hi Rayne,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

Yes, the 11.03 from St Gallen to Lucerne is the Voralpen Express. If you look at the SBB timetable, the train is clearly indicated as a panoramic train (PE).

There are also regional trains running on this route.

Here’s the link to the timetable: http://www.myswissalsp.com/timetable

Regards,

Anna

Rayne
    Participant
    3 posts
    1 February 2020 at 8:06:16 #929168

Thank you Anna – I appreciate your clarification 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 February 2020 at 1:22:55 #929169

All direct St Gallen xx.03 – Luzern trains are Voralpen Express. There are no regional trains that do the whole route, so if you are at St Gallen station and you see a train destination Luzern on the departure board it will be a Voralpen Express.

For the 2020 timetable, the Voralpen Express has just been changed from upgraded old 1960s vehicles to new unit trains. The new trains are the same as will operate on the Gotthard route when SOB railway takes over passenger services on that route next year. Like most modern trains they are glorified ‘regional’ type unit trains.

Attached is my picture of one of the brand new trains (dubbed ‘Traverso’) at Arth Goldau just when they were introduced in December . They are branded ‘Voralpen Express / Treno Gottardo/ Aare Linth to reflect the three routes they will eventually run on.

Rayne
    Participant
    3 posts
    2 February 2020 at 2:51:09 #929170

Thank you 1960man, all of this information helps build the plans for how we will spend our time.

• The thread ‘Munich to Luzern via Voralpen Express’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.