Is late May a good time for 4 nights in Murren?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2017 at 22:31:51 #811316

Hi,

We will be arriving in Zurich on 5/23 and have 4 nights to tour Switzerland before heading back to Zurich. We are excited to tour Gimmelwald and the Berner Oberland area. However, I am concerned that it might be too early in the season to hike (less strenuous hikes as we are of average or less ability) and to explore. We thought that we would find a rental in Murren as our base. Do you think this is a good idea? We really just want to experience the beauty of the region. We do know that we would prefer to not spend our time in the cities. Where would you recommend we spend our time in late May? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 7:58:57 #861126

May is certainly not the ideal time to visit Mürren and the Berner Oberland, but there will still be things to do and see. Probably not hiking though, unless perhaps along the Lauterbrunnen Valley below Mürren.

Mountain transport in the area that will be operating during your stay includes:

• Jungfraujoch (train)
    • Lauterbrunnen-Grütschalp-Mürren (cable car and train)
    • Stechelberg-Mürren-Schilthorn (cable cars)
    • Wengen to Männlichen (cable car)
    • Grindelwald to Männlichen (gondola – open from 25 May)
    • Grindelwald Firstbahn (gondola)
    • Grindelwald to Grosse Scheidegg bus
    • Harderbahn (Interlaken)
    • The Trümmelbach Falls in the Lauterbrunnen Valley should also be open.
    • The Allmendhubel funicular (Mürren) will be closed, as will the train to Schynige Platte from Wilderswil.

Many people would recommend Luzern/Lucerne, the Lake Geneva area or the Lugano/Locarno area as better for that time of year, but those places offer different experiences from the Berner Oberland.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2017 at 17:46:08 #861127

Thank you. I really appreciate your input.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 April 2017 at 21:41:17 #861128

Hi Grant29-

Alpenrose has provided a comprehensive answer about the Jungfrau region.

I can add that late May is “between seasons“…lots of snow or snow slides blocking trails above 2000 meters, and probably above 1500 meters. The snow is of poor quality for skiing. So, few skiers and few hikers. Therefore, many hotels and restaurants ( but not all) will be closed. As you can see from Alpenrose’s post, some of the mountain transport just starts running for the “Summer 😉 ” season when you arrive.

When I go to Switzerland in May, I go to the areas at lower altitudes. My favorite for pleasant hiking with mountain views is the area around Lake Lucerne.

Here is a description of some walks around the southern end of the lake; it includes part of the “Swiss Path” (der Weg der Schweiz). Also, several images in the thread. As noted, it is a very different experience compared to the Jungfrau region.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

Pilatus is close, and Titlis is accessible….there are some “decent” mountains. 😉

http://www.myswissalps.com/pi latus

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti tlis

The city of Luzern is nice, too. Especially the old town. Note that I use the German spelling…Luzern is in the German-speaking region, and that is what you will see on signs nearby. Pronounced the same.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Is late May a good time for 4 nights in Murren?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.