National Costume Festival (Trachtenfest)

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2015 at 16:58:15 #807281

Hello fellow travellers,

I have a suggestion for anyone who will be in the Bernese Oberland in late July. Travel up to Mannlichen on 26th July by gondola from Wengen or cable car from Grindelwald. There is to be an event starting at about 11 a.m. (weather permitting) called a Trachtenfest. It will involve Swiss Folk Dancing – the costumes are amazing – Flag Swinging, Alphorn playing, Yodelling and Whip cracking. Free to spectators this is a true taste of Swiss traditions. We plan to go this year as we enjoyed it so much when we went a couple of years ago.

Maggie

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 May 2015 at 22:08:45 #843369

Maggie-

Sounds great.

I expect to be in Wengen about one week later.

Could you please ask them to reschedule the event for me? August 2nd would be great. 😉

Just joking. Wish I could be there, There is usually a lot of opportunity for photography at such events..

( see below images from Jodlerfests many years ago.)

Slowpoke

Annika
    7116 posts
    24 May 2015 at 8:50:44 #843370

Hi Maggie,

That’s a great tip! Thanks a lot for sharing it here. I’m sure you’ll enjoy this festival again!

skibill
    Participant
    22 posts
    25 May 2015 at 11:56:28 #843371

Oh that would be fun to see! Anything of interest like that going on the earlier part of July?? thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 May 2015 at 13:40:26 #843372

There are a varity of Jodlerfests nad other local festivals all summer long.

Regional (cantonal) Jofdlerfests are good sized, but local one s are a lot of fun.

Evey three years there is an All-Federation Jodlerfest. Those pictures were taken at two of the All-Federation Jodlerfests. The most recent one was at Davos in 2014.

intransit.blogs.nytime s.com/2014/06/19/swiss-yodeling-festival-hits-high-notes/?_r=0​

trippingdifferently.co m/2012/06/22/jodlerfest-yodeling-festival/

Google search, see what you can find. Also, ask the local tourism office and your innkeeper.

Maybe the Swissinfo web site would have something.

• The thread ‘National Costume Festival (Trachtenfest)’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.