Grindelwald best rail pass? First in the winter?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 November 2017 at 16:52:10 #871126

You’ll need to go to the Swiss railways office at Zurich airport. We have terminal maps on our airport page here. It is easy to find, following signs to get to the trains you will walk right past it before walking down to the train tracks.

Your link on your post above for the sledging runs indicates where it is. It states you need to hike up with your sledge…2.5 hours (yikes) for details on this and other sledging options (and a bus to take you part way) check out the Grindelwald bus website.

Where you change trains to Milan depends on the train that you take that day. From Grindelwald you will change trains a minimum of 3 times before getting to Milan. Use the timetable to check your options on the date you want to travel.

If you don’t have a rail pass then you need a ticket for the whole trip – but just one ticket.
    We have a list of retailers here to buy a ticket for Switzerland to Italy.

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    29 November 2017 at 3:49:18 #871127

Thanks! Is there any promotion on hiking and sledging pass? Any other channels that I can get a discount?

Given that the price for a hiking and sledging pass is just the same, no matter it’s bought in advance now on the website or will be bought later on the spot (ie Interlaken Ost), any difference eg in terms of the length of the queues for exchanging for tickets; and for buying tickets on the spot (ie Interlaken Ost)? Are there any separate queues for exchanging and buying on the spot (ie Interlaken Ost)? If so, then which queue is normally shorter, the one for exchanging or the one for buying on the spot (ie Interlaken Ost)?

Thanks!

MMANDBB

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 November 2017 at 7:24:26 #871128

Hi MMANDBB,

No there wouldn’t be different queues to buy or exchange. I can’t tell you with any certainty when the lines would be shorter. It may be 2 minutes or a tour group shows up in front of you and its 20 minutes. A bit of luck is required – I don’t think there would ever be very long line though (expect for said tour group bad luck!)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 14:53:48 #871129

I ve read through this thread & find that a lot of useful info for my trip too.

I’m planning to go to First (from Interlaken) on 21st Dec. In First, we plan to go for the cliff walk & then I would like to take my childrens for sledging.

Questions:

1. Do I need to take hiking & sledging pass or I could freely sledge there (in First)

2. How is sledging in First, or I should consider go to Bussalps? My family is not so adventurous only one – two hours of sledging will be sufficient.

3. Where do we rent the sledge & how do we carry it up to the First?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 December 2017 at 18:19:14 #871130

The Bussalp might be your best/easiest option as it leaves much less walking/ hiking up hill and you can avoid the sledging pass if you don’t think you will get full use out if it.

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 December 2017 at 15:39:23 #871131

Hi,

I attach my fare calculation spreadsheet, please could you take a look at it to see whether my calculation of discount is in order. If not, please correct it. A couple of legs I left them unfilled as I am not quite sure about the discount, please kindly let me know.

Thanks!

MMANDBB

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 16:19:44 #871132

Hi MMANDBB,

The 2 parts where you don’t have prices for the Hiking and Sledging Pass are partially covered only.
    It will cover you as far as Murren (via either Stechelberg or Grütschalp) but you will pay regular price from Murren to Schilthorn.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 December 2017 at 22:23:25 #871133

Either the 3- or 4-day Hiking and Sledging Pass, as well as the Swiss Travel Pass, will get you a 50% discount from Mürren to the Schilthorn. All those passes will get you free travel from Grindelwald to Mürren via Zweilütschinen and Grütschalp or Stechelberg.

Some of the sectors on your spreadsheet are lumping free travel sectors together with discounted sectors. You will get more accurate results if you separate free travel from discounted.

Alpenrose

MMANDBB
    Participant
    17 posts
    11 December 2017 at 15:04:59 #871134

Could anyone please advise of the name of the App which can show the details especially the name of the mountain when the device is pointed to it? Thanks!

MMANDBB

Arno
    15471 posts
    11 December 2017 at 15:22:07 #871135

Hi Mmandbb,

The one you’re looking for is PeakVisor. You’ll find it under “Public transport & activities” on http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/practic al/websites (many other apps are listed there as well.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • The thread ‘Grindelwald best rail pass? First in the winter?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.