Need to make sure Swiss Half Fare Card is best

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 6:27:54 #816879

I attempted the Excel Spreadsheet and it looks like half card might be the way to go. But if anyone could confirm, I would appreciate it!

I have 2 adults, one 16 year old and one 14 year old traveling. We are coming from Basel to home base of Grindelwald for 3 days and going back to Zurich. Most of the short trips will be from Grindelwald to areas close by. I’m going to buy the half card but if you think 3 day pass would be better, let me know. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 12:28:57 #889390

HI Princess AJ,

Jungfraujoch should be a little cheaper…about 214 otherwise looks good. Keep in mind for an extra 30chf you only have 1 ticket to buy (Jungfraujoch) otherwise you can just hop on the trains and go without worrying about tickets – worth 30chf to some people.

Also, the Swiss Travel Pass allows you to change plans on the fly, travel on most city buses as well without needing tickets. Very convenient.

Note you’ll need either 3 Swiss Half Fare Cards and a Swiss Family Card (free) or 2 Swiss Travel Passes, 1 Swiss Travel Pass – youth and 1 Swiss Family Card.

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisshalffarecar d/price
    https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 21:09:40 #889391

Okay, thank you very much. That makes sense. Do you recommend I purchase online or at Basel. We arrive on July 10th.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2018 at 5:58:26 #889392

It would be more convenient to buy the Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card online (links above). They can be emailed to you and printed at home (saving you time at the airport and giving you a copy to print out again in case you lose your pass).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 5:54:22 #889393

I just realized I may have to get the 4 day pass. July 10, 11, 12, returning 13th. So it looks like I may just get the 1/2 card because now that cost went up. Also, I read that reservations should be made for top of Europe train at 10 chf each. Do you suggest that?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2018 at 10:24:32 #889394

Hi, I’m a little confused…you may get the 4 day Swiss Travel Pass and may just get the Swiss Half Fare Card – it sounds like you are thinking of getting both?

Jungfraujoch can get very busy in the summer so it is hard to choose between reserving seats (so no waiting) but then having to go up even if the weather is bad (or lose your reservation). If you make a reservation I’d wait until the day before if possible.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 June 2018 at 19:24:06 #889395

Okay, thanks again. I just got the half day card for the four of us. Thank you again! I will let you know how it went.

• The thread ‘Need to make sure Swiss Half Fare Card is best’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.