One day in Switzerland from Lörrach

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 13:39:09 #814320

If we only had one day in Switzerland, what would be the best scenic trip from Basel and what would it cost? Would be grateful for any suggestions.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

pvonk
    Participant
    382 posts
    10 February 2018 at 18:45:12 #876045

When you say “one day” do you mean beginning first thing in the morning until evening? Or are you arriving by train/plane in the morning sometime, which involves time spent going through customs, get to local transportation (train or car rental), etc.? And when must you be done? Are you leaving the country. From where? And what time of year?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 19:04:29 #876046

Hi thanks for replying. We will be staying in Lörrach just over the border and would be going back there in the evening.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 February 2018 at 20:31:55 #876047

“Best” is a very subjective term but I would say a day trip to Jungfraujoch (http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfraujoch/gettingther e) if price is anything to go by!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2018 at 8:08:47 #876048

Will you travel by train or car? You are traveling in May I think? If by train use the Swiss railways timetable to plan the trip.

If train I’d be tempted to go to Lucerne for mountain scenery – like Pilatus. Jungfraujoch is doable but a long day. If you are looking for a scenic train ride and not intent on a mountain visit try going to Interlaken via Lucerne (part of the Golden Pass route) and maybe visit Lake Thun and or Mt. Niesen.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    13 February 2018 at 3:20:42 #876049

Hi.

One day ? Is this hypothetical or the real situation ? If it is indeed the real situation, I would agree with Lucas; a trip to Lucerne and back. You will have lovely scenery on the way, Lucerne is a real city but more quaint that Zurich or Geneva or Basel. It is at the outlet of a beautiful and oddly shaped lake (Vierwaldstättersee), surrounded by all kinds of interesting mountains, and has a very scenic old town. Having said this, I hope that you won’t linger long in Lörrach. If indeed you only have a single solitary day for Switzerland I hope that at least this one day will give you the desire to come back soon, and for a longer visit. See attached physiographic image of this area of central Switzerland.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 February 2018 at 3:26:23 #876050

What happened to the other 2 days you were originally considering at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-make-the-most-of-3-days-in-switzerland?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 10:21:14 #876051

Two things really. The fact that it seems many mountain trains and cable cars may not be open in the first week of May. And the unpredictability of the cost for 3 days including meals, drinks etc. I have found a day travel pass for CH 52 which seems to do the same thing as the 3day Swiss travel pass. So on balance I think we would be better coming next year at a later time. Is it likely to be still quite cold at the beginning of May?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 14:03:46 #876052

Hi Walkfan,

At lower altitudes spring will be in full swing. However, the daytime temperature range is 8 to 15 °C. Expect temperatures close to 0 °C on top of mountains. See http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather.

Be sure to check this:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2018 at 23:54:48 #876053

>> I have found a day travel pass for CH 52 which seems to do the same thing as the 3day Swiss travel pass.

The Saver Day Pass does not cover the same things as the Swiss Travel Pass. With a few exceptions, the Saver Day Pass does not cover mountain transport at all.

There is plenty of mountain transport open in the Luzern area in the first week of May, but the Saver Day Pass would only cover a trip to the Rigi or on the funicular to Stoos.

Pilatus cogwheel train and cableway – Cableway from Kriens will be operating; the cogwheel train from Alpnachstad may or may not be operating, depending on the weather. You can check operational status on your day of travel:

http://www.pilatus.ch/en/nc/l ive/

• Swiss Travel Pass: 50% discount
    • Saver Day Pass: not valid

Rigi trains and cable car – All modes of transport operating

• Swiss Travel Pass: free
    • Saver Day Pass: free

Stoos funicular (the steepest in the world) – Operating

• Saver Day Pass: free

Stanserhorn funicular and cable car – Operating

Titlis gondolas – Operating

• Swiss Travel Pass: 50% discount

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 February 2018 at 5:32:47 #876054

Hi Walkfan,

I wouldn’t have thought the weather in Switzerland would be much different from in Lörrach until you start heading into the Alps or up other mountains.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2018 at 14:38:00 #876055

Thank you for that. That’s really helpful.

• The thread ‘One day in Switzerland from Lörrach’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.