18 day trip to Switzerland December 2017 – part 1

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 9:18:38 #814034

First and foremost, a big thank you to “My Swiss Alps” which would have to be the most helpful website for travel in a specific country I have ever come across.

The following is a report that mentions things I think may be of interest to other travellers interested in visiting Switzerland in December. Our dates were 30th November through to 18th December 2017.

We flew into Geneva and after clearing customs and collecting our baggage we purchased train tickets for 6CHF each and headed off to Geneva city. In our 18 days of train travel not once did we have difficulty taking our bags on and off trains. There was always room for storage at the rear of each carriage and the bags were very easy to keep an eye on while travelling as well.

We purchased a 15 day Swiss Travel Pass (first class) a few weeks prior to leaving, but as we were travelling for 18 days, we used the local city transport pass from the Hotel for the first couple of days until our travel pass start date kicked in.

We purchased our Swiss Travel Pass online via Swiss Railways and it was emailed to us in .pdf format within minutes. We folded each pass and laminated a couple of copies each, just to give them some longevity while travelling and they were accepted on every occasion we were required to present it with no problems at all.

It is without question my opinion that the Swiss Travel Pass is worth every cent in terms of convenience and value for money. I had done my homework in terms of costings, figuring out what journeys we would definitely be doing and what journeys we would most likely be doing over its 15 day life, and even when purchasing first class passes, it worked out to be extremely good value for money in our case.

In regard to 2nd class versus first class, ours was purely a personal choice as I had chosen it in part as a special gift to my wife who had just taken a redundancy. However, personally I would do the same again as we noticed over and over that the first class carriages were always much less crowded and offered just that little bit of extra room and comfort and of course were always therefore a little more quiet in general.

Having said that, the times we travelled second class were perfectly satisfactory also and if your budget and calculations for your train travel don’t warrant a First Class pass, you will not be disappointed with 2nd.

We purchased a Salt sim from the store at the Geneva train station for 30CHF and the gentleman there was most helpful, installing it for us and setting it up. This had to be the best bargain of our whole trip as it came with unlimited 4G internet access, and there were only a few places throughout our 18 days that we could not get signal, such as when travelling through long tunnels, and a couple of times we lost signal travelling form Interlaken through to Lauterbrunnen as we passed through some narrow valleys. Otherwise it enabled us to keep contact with the family back home via Facebook Messenger and email, and most importantly it enabled us to use the SBB app to check train schedules and figure out our journeys. The SBB app is priceless, not only does it enable you to check train travel schedules and times, but it also gave us warnings a couple of times when our trains had been cancelled and it also offered alternatives. I totally recommend it.

We spent 2 nights in Geneva, did a little shopping and visited the Reformation Wall, and then went on to Montreux for one night to enjoy the Christmas markets there.

In Montreux we caught the bus (using the Riviera Card – free from Hotel) to the Chateaux De Chillon and spent a couple of hours walking around the castle. Personally, I found parts of it very “over done” tourist wise, and was disappointed at times with the lack of authenticity, but I think overall it is still worth seeing. We walked back to Montreux via the path along the lake foreshore, (4.5km’s) and I managed to get quite a few great photos looking back at the castle using this as a vantage point.

Had a lovely Chinese dinner at a small Chinese Restaurant in Montreux, lovely staff and great food.

The Christmas markets in Montreux were the best we encountered in our 18 day stay. We checked them out both during the day and at night. At night the crowds were extremely large and we spent several hours moving about the stalls and still didn’t get anywhere near seeing it all.

We had booked VIP seats on the Golden Pass from Montreux to Zweisimmen, and it proved to be one of the highlights of our trip. Sitting right up front of the train as we climbed out of Montreux and wound our way through the mountains and valleys covered from head to foot in snow was simply incredible. I took huge amounts of video as we travelled as I was able to point the camera directly out the front window of the train, and this has made for some amazing viewing since we have been back home. Definitely worth the small added cost when booking ( 20CHF – again, booked online and received .pdf tickets within minutes) Changing trains at Zweisimmen for Interlaken complete with 2 suitcases and backpacks was not a problem at all time wise, and there was no need to rush.

A quick word in regard to Panoramic trains. Personally we enjoyed them all, but with the exception of the Golden Line VIP seats, I have serious difficulty seeing that the view of the Panoramic trains is any better than any of the other trains we travelled on. In fact when in St Moritz, our Bernina Express trip to Tirano was cancelled due to heavy snow and once the line re-opened we boarded a standard train that in my opinion was not only far more comfortable than the Bernina Express train itself (Which we took from Tirano back to Pontresina) but we were able to board the very front carriage of the standard train and sit right behind the drivers cabin. The view through the window at the front where the driver sits was exceptional. This once again also enabled some great photos and very different video footage.

Arrived in Interlaken for a 3 night stay. I had read a few disparaging reports about staying in Interlaken, but we certainly found it to be the perfect location for access to the various mountains around about and would certainly stay there again should we return.

We kept a close eye on the weather every day in the hope of being able to plan our mountain trips, and the main thing I found was that even right up to one day before, the weather could change very quickly. Prior to arriving in Interlaken it was predicted that we would be encountering several days of heavy snow and our chances for a great view from Jungfraujoch didn’t look good. But on the day we arrived everything changed and we ended up with two full sunshine days that were simply perfect.

In fact our whole 18 day trip we only encountered rain on one occasion and that was in Lucerne and was just a couple of hours of light drizzle. All of our other days were either snowing or sunny, both of which were what we wanted. Maybe we struck it lucky, I’m not certain, but we couldn’t have asked for better weather in December from our point of view.

We spent our first day at Interlaken tripping off to Lauterbrunnen and then up to Murren.

I accidentally left my backpack on the cable car that went to Grutschalp. Never realised till I got off the train in Murren, so we told the driver who radioed through for us and we took the 30 minute round trip back to Grutschalp and back to Murren to retrieve it. The staff were most friendly and helpful. Murren was beautiful. Covered in heavy snow, sun shining, we walked to the Skyline Chill for a hot coffee and something to eat before walking back. Schilthorn was out of the question for the dates we were there, (we knew this) so we left that for another time. We also walked about Lauterbrunnen, the waterfall is such a picture.

Before leaving for Switzerland, my wife and I both purchased some waterproof footwear which I have to say was a great investment. Neither of us ever once encountered cold feet, and that was just wearing normal socks, and the extra grip these shoes gave us in the snow and wet, meant we only had a few near misses at slipping over during those times when one had to walk through a bit of slush and ice.

The trip to Jungfraujoch is awesome, the tunnels, the views, the whole journey is varied and interesting. Yes, it is expensive and if I returned to Switzerland, I would probably not do it a second time, but you have to do it at least once. The views at the top were amazing, though the outside viewing platform was quite crowded as it is not large. The extras such as the ice caves are interesting, I could imagine even more so for children, but overall I think worth doing even though it is rather expensive.

I have read a few times that people ask should they go to Jungfraujoch or Mt Titlis or Pilatus or some other mountain. To be truthful they are all unique in their own way and all worth seeing if one has the time. But if I was taking a whole family and the cost was an issue, I think that the journey to Mt Titlis is just as terrific and the sky bridge views just as spectacular. The Gondolas, Cable car and Cog Wheel rail at Pilatus along with the views is also quite exceptional as well and Pilatus is completely covered by a Swiss Travel Pass. That’s hard to beat.

I will post a continuation of this trip in the next few days. Feel free to ask any questions if it may help someone. My wife kept a journal of sorts and a collection of receipts that just may assist to answer your question.

A few pics attached below if you are interested.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 10:04:24 #874262

Hi longservice and thanks so much for taking the time to write up this report!

I’m sure our members will find it very useful for planning and some great images – Jungfraujoch looks tempting!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2018 at 12:43:16 #874263

I enjoyed your trip report, and you have plenty of good tips for other travellers.

Loved your photos too, and looking forward to some more as you continue with your trip report!

Alpenrose

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    15 January 2018 at 1:52:55 #874264

Hello and thanks for your detailed report. I will read part two shortly.

I noticed you used the SALT sim card whilst you were there and I have noticed that this card seems to be the one most used and recommended by Myswissalps members.

Whilst perusing the Apple site for a new Ipad I noticed Apple also can supply a Sim card to over 180 countries, including Switzerland.

Out of interest has anyone ever tried the the Apple card and with what success.

Regards Wallaby.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2018 at 10:41:01 #874265

Thank you Lucas, Alpenrose and Wallaby Bob. Glad you enjoyed something in there……..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 January 2018 at 20:30:34 #874266

Hi longservice

What a fabulous trip report – thank you.

I agree with you about the convenience of the Swiss Travel Pass – we usually buy 1st class because we travel in July and August when 2nd class is busy but have opted to still go 1st class this year though travelling in September for a change.

Our phones are too elderly and simplistic to cope with the sbb app.! Because we go for an extended visit (4 weeks) I take along my laptop so I can check weather, train times etc. the evening before when making the final decision on our excursions. I also have on a USB stick containing pre-researched train journeys and just make notes in a little note-book of times, platforms and changes of train to carry out with me!

Montreux Christmas market is also my favourite -its setting, the variety of goods, great food options etc. but on our trips in December 2010 and 2016 (just for markets) some of the small ones we found were very interesting because local craftspeople were there demonstrating their crafts and you could find unusual items that you don’t find on stalls selling mass-produced stuff.

Glad to read that you enjoyed your BEX trip. We did it in July 2016 as a last minute decision because we had had an unexpected snowfall overnight and we thought that route might be a bit special to see snow in July! We hadn’t reserved seats but a helpful member of staff told us that a couple of “regular” carriages had been attached to the front of the BEX and we could take seats there. We found seats easily in a small 1st class sector and they ran the BEX commentary through the tannoy to those carriages as well, meaning we had the whole BEX experience without paying reservation fee! So we set off with snowy vistas on all sides and ended up in Tirano on a hot sunny day! Brilliant!

I think the Swiss must be used to tourists leaving things on trains or in restaurants because we have also benefitted on more than one occasion from the efficient and kind way they manage to reunite people with their belongings!

Jungfraujoch is indeed awesome and we have done that trip twice despite the cost (mind you we have now visited Switzerland for the last 17 summers!) We have also done the Pilatus trip twice because we took advantage of it being free with STP last year! Still not been to Titlis!

Your photos are great – I particularly like Mürren in the snow – beautiful. Our 2 December trips to Switzerland were based on visiting cities as we were there just for markets so haven’t been to villages in winter.

I will reply to your other posts as well.

Thanks again, Maggie

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 January 2018 at 21:37:05 #874267

Hi Wallaby Bob,

The Apple SIM says “When you travel abroad, you can choose a plan from selected carriers or from a pay-as-you-go provider in more than 180 countries and regions. You can also install a local carrier SIM if that’s a better solution for you.” It is only supported by selected (by Apple) carriers.

In Switzerland you won’t find a better deal that the Salt Prepay SIM.

Wallaby_Bob
    Participant
    65 posts
    18 January 2018 at 22:04:23 #874268

Thanks for that Rocky.

I have noticed that the SALT sim does get a good write-up from quite a number of Myswissalps posters, so that is what we’ll do on arrival.

Don’t overheat down there today mate, temperature is on the rise over weekend too.

Regards Bob

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 3:58:39 #874269

Hi Maggie,

Thank you for your comments, and my apologies for the delayed reply.

We also travel with a compact Laptop that we use to keep track of all the researched information we have gleaned. We keep a spreadsheet to keep track on our budget and spending, use Facebook to upload photos and videos for the family back home, use Facetime to chat to the Grandchildren and of course the internet is so handy for finding and locating just about anything. This trip I also loaded up my photo/video editing software, so that often of a quiet evening I was able to already process a lot of my pictures and videos, saving me a lot of effort before we even eventually returned back home.

Yes, those small Christmas Markets often present some real gems that the big markets don’t, and we also were pleasantly surprised occasionally by something unique and special.

Sounds like your BEX trip was a beauty. 17 summers in Switzerland….. unbelievable…. But perhaps this just confirms my thoughts that to return is almost mandatory.!!

We first went to Pilatus in 2005 and did the lake cruise, then Gondolas and Cable car and returned via the cog wheel railway. That cog wheel journey remains one of my favourites, it was closed this time round that we were there, but remains in my memory as something extra special. The first time I was at Pilatus, I climbed the peak just to the left side of the buildings and entered into complete cloud half way to the top. At the summit surrounded totally by fog, I stood there listening to the sounds of those playing the alphorns down by the restaurant. It was calm and still, and as I stood there listening to the sound of those horns drifting up the mountain, a section of the fog parted revealing a mountain peak not too far away on which a loan cross stood stark against the background. (pic attached) The hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and it was a precious moment I have never forgotten.

Thanks again for your comments…

Longservice.

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    21 January 2018 at 7:27:50 #874270

Thank you for the report. May I know which photo/video editing app did you use? Looking for a easy-to-use app to edit photos and Go Pro videos. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 January 2018 at 8:17:13 #874271

Hi Uallin,

For photos I use both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop. For Video editing I use ProShow Gold. I’m afraid all of these are not cheap alternatives. However, for quick video editing while on the run, you could be surprised at how easy it is to use the free Windows 10 Photo app. (Pic attached) If you open this app, and locate the video file you wish to edit, select it, then click on the “ADD TO” icon, then select “VIDEO with MUSIC”, then give it a name, a completely new page of basic editing tools appears, including themes and music. Its basically a “drag and drop” app and very easy to use. In fact, it is one of the fastest and efficient processors of edited videos even for large format that I have come across. I have never personally used it for editing photos, only video, but on my last trip to Switzerland, I used it daily to do quick editing of video footage to upload to facebook for my family back home. Once I learned to stop moving too quickly and clicking the wrong X in the top right hand corner (which will abruptly end what you are doing without warning) and just click the X below to close the section I was working on….. it all started to impress me considerably as it is quite fast and very simple to use. And something I discovered the hard way eventually, is that when it did shut down, instead of needing to start all over, Windows Photo actually saves a copy that you can reload if you click on “ALBUMS” within the app itself. You can mute the sound of your video and add music from their selection, and easily clip and snip your videos with ease and play it back each time to see if you have it right or not.

Hope this helps somewhat…..

Regards

Longservice

Uallin
    Participant
    115 posts
    21 January 2018 at 12:25:35 #874272

Thanks, Longservice! Will look into it 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 10:20:46 #874273

Thank you for your amazing trip report. It helps us “newbie’s” a lot!

I am planning a trip for my parents of 60+ in December, and you have given me a lot of ideas!

I see it is mentioned a couple of times the Mt. Pilates is free on the STP. Is this still the case?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 13:40:11 #874274

>> I see it is mentioned a couple of times the Mt. Pilates is free on the STP. Is this still the case?

No – in 2018 the Swiss Travel Pass provides a 50% discount for the cogwheel train between Alpnachstad and Pilatus, and the cableway between Pilatus and Kriens.

The boat between Luzern and Alpnachstad, and the bus between Kriens and Luzern are free with the Swiss Travel Pass though.

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘18 day trip to Switzerland December 2017 – part 1’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.