Panaromic vs normal Swiss trains on Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 15:58:41 #814806

I am planning to take this route Luzern – Interlaken, Interlaken – Zweisimmen and Zweisimmen – Montreux railway lines

The above route is called Golden Pass route which takes close to 4- 5 hrs. right ?

if i take this , both normal trains and trains with Panoramic windows operates on the same route . right ,?

normal train runs frequently and Panoramic trains runs infrequently in this route and every 1 hour the NORMAL train runs in this route , right ?

while return what is the shortest route from Montreux to Luzern?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 16:32:37 #878968

Pretty much. I replied to your other post about the Golden Pass train here and that might give more details.

The train from Luzern to Interlaken is panoramic with more windows than normal…but somehow to me not quite the same as the panoramic trains between Zweisimmen and Montreux. The trains between Interlaken and Zweisimmen are completely normal.

Normal, regional trains run this whole route (3 sections really) as well yes. The only option between Luzern and Interlaken (direct) is on the panoramic train so you’ll be on it if you travel to Interlaken at some point on your trip.

The timetable will give you the fastest options. This will change depending on your date and time of preferred departure. Essentially the route can be done as quickly as 2 hours and 45 minutes or so (with 1 or two connections).

Attached are pictures of the panoramic trains on that route. The train on the right of the last picture is the train you take from Interlaken to Zweisimmen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 15:11:28 #878969

Hi,

I always thought only panoramic trains go through Zweisimmen ;P So does that mean if I buy a train ticket via Zweisimmen on SBB website, that is for the normal train? How do I go about buying a ticket for the panoramic train (without seat reservations)?

What if I buy a Saver Day pass, can I board the panoramic train?

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 March 2018 at 16:39:07 #878970

Hi awankelabu, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

Other standard trains run on this line as well. The panoramic trains are noted on the timetable as MOB Panoramic. You can buy tickets using the timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable).

With a Saver Day Pass you can board the panoramic train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 3:19:07 #878971

>> I always thought only panoramic trains go through Zweisimmen ;P So does that mean if I buy a train ticket via Zweisimmen on SBB website, that is for the normal train? How do I go about buying a ticket for the panoramic train (without seat reservations)?

You haven’t told us which direction you are travelling in, or your origin and destination, so I will use the example of travelling Montreux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken Ost (or vice versa).

Any ticket you buy will be valid for a particular date, and not limited to one particular train. You can therefore use it on any train on that route during that day. That includes standard trains or those with panoramic windows.

Reservations, however, are tied to a particular train, and are not valid for any other train. They are not compulsory for the Golden Pass route.

Tickets and reservations are bought separately for the Golden Pass route.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 8:47:57 #878972

Thank you for your reply Chantal and Alpenrose666!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 March 2018 at 20:17:03 #878973

Thank you all !!!

• The thread ‘Panaromic vs normal Swiss trains on Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.