Photography of the Matterhorn – best time of day

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2018 at 19:17:39 #816562

I was wondering if anyone knew the best time of the day to photograph the Matterhorn and it’s reflection in the lakes at Grinjisee and Stellisee. Does it pay to get an early start for those hikes? Are there any other lakes that you would recommend in that area?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    11 June 2018 at 2:24:29 #887933

I think the best time of day to photograph the Matterhorn is late in the afternoon when the light is a bit softer and not shining from directly overhead. The two sides of the mountain that are most visible face east and north respectively, so the mood of the mountain will change throughout the day as the sun moves.

As far as other lakes go, Schwarzsee is a popular destination becuse there is a gondola, and Riffelsee is on the path down from the Gornergrat. Both are quite impressive, Schwarzsee becuse it is at the foot of the Matterhorn and Riffelsee because of the backdrop behind it.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2018 at 7:55:17 #887934

In my experience the best times for photographing the Matterhorn are either at sunrise …or sunset . That said Matterhorn is always an imposing sight any time of the day .

If you are spending the night at the Gonegrat , the pictures of Matterhorn and its reflection are spectacular in the night as well..

Best rgds

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    12 June 2018 at 15:42:59 #887935

< Matterhorn is always an imposing sight any time of the day >

Yeah, well… See how it look like on 9-10 June 2018. In other words check the weather forcast before setting out…

That said, I wonder if taking the same picture as has been shot thousands of times is a real photographic challenge…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2018 at 17:40:04 #887936

I struggle with taking pictures of the popular places like the Matterhorn, Eiffel Tower etc. etc. but

There’s something weird about buying someone else’s photos though. I’d rather hang my own pics in my house rather than someone else’s…. even if it’s better than mine! 🙂

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    13 June 2018 at 19:23:05 #887937

Lucas, sure, I have never considered buying someone else’s photo to hang it on the walls of my house. I have also been to Niagara Falls in Canada, Skaftafell and Jokullsarlon in Iceland, and similar places, and, of course, I shot photos there too. But such photos, I feel, are not “compelling images”, they don’t awaken much emotions…

Now Keepfaith wants to do a trip, that will cost some money and a day or two of his or her life, to take a photograph similar, hopefully better, than the ones that have been in the National Geographic and in dozens of books and calendars. The holes for his tripod are already there. Considering that on the planned day, the weather may be cloudy, I just wonder if Keepfaith should not be encouraged to think it over again…

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 5:27:53 #887938

I agree. I have some cloud obscured photos of the Matterhorn I took – but it isn’t a big deal as I can find amazing photos of the Matterhorn online.

Buying one and hanging it up isn’t a consideration really… I’ll put my own up on a wall first but more for the memory as it isn’t the best picture. 🙂 It is all about trying to find a different composition for those photos…but it is difficult on the Matterhorn!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 June 2018 at 5:31:30 #887939

Sure the National Geographic has some handy photographers. Selfies, with the Matterhorn in the background, on the other hand . . . . . 😇

• The thread ‘Photography of the Matterhorn – best time of day’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.