Can I use the Swiss Travel Pass for gondolas?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 5:21:11 #814726

Hi Everyone,

I have a small query regarding the Swiss Travel Pass –

1. I would like to know whether i can use the travel pass for Gondola Rides?

2. Are cable cars and Gondola’s different??

Thanks in advance….

Best,

Prathik

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 6:06:14 #878523

You can use the Swiss Travel Pass for just about anything that carries you up a mountain if it appears on the Validity Map at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. What constitutes a gondola versus cable car is the subject of some discussion. I think of gondolas as small (2-4 passenger) cable cars.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 March 2018 at 6:49:41 #878524

Thank you very much for answering my query Rockoyster :).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 March 2018 at 21:45:18 #878525

Pilatus gondola flic.kr/p/WcXXdj

Pilatus Cable Car flic.kr/p/WsVDkx

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 2:27:56 #878526

>> 1. I would like to know whether i can use the travel pass for Gondola Rides?

Further to the info provided by rockoyster, I thought it worth mentioning that the Swiss Travel Pass will provide you with free travel on some gondolas and cable cars but only 50% discount on others. The validity map will show you whether the trip is free or discounted: as explained in the legend on the map, black lines are cable cars (and gondolas). Solid lines are free, dotted lines are discounted.

>> 2. Are cable cars and Gondola’s different??

“Cable car” is often used as a generic word for both cable cars and gondolas, but they are indeed different types of cabin, and are operated differently. Here are the key differences between cable cars and gondolas:

Capacity

• Cable cars can accommodate a large number of people (e.g. some can accommodate over 100 people).
    • Gondolas will usually accommodate 4-6 people.

Seating

• Most people stand in cable cars, but there is usually bench seating for 10-12 people.
    • All passengers in a gondola are seated on benches facing each other – 2 or 3 to a bench.

Driver

• Cable cars are usually operated by a driver inside each cable car, and run to a timetable, e.g. every 15 minutes. They “park” at the cable car station until the next scheduled departure, and passengers board and alight while the cable car is stationary.
    • Gondolas are occupied only by the passengers, as they are operated from a central location and circulate constantly on the cable. They slow down (rather than stop) for boarding and alighting. A new gondola arrives in the boarding area every few seconds, the previous occupants having already stepped out shortly beforehand in a separate alighting area. The doors open and close automatically at the appropriate times to ensure passenger safety.

Number of cabins on the cableway

• There is usually only one cable car travelling in each direction on the cable, so you will only pass one other cable car travelling in the opposite direction during your ride, and there will not be any other cable cars ahead of you or behind you on the same cable.
    • When travelling in a gondola, you will constantly pass other gondolas travelling in the opposite direction, and you will also see other gondolas in front of you and behind you travelling in the same direction.

I have attached some photos that illustrate the difference.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15483 posts
    13 March 2018 at 6:26:41 #878527

That is a thorough explanation Alpenrose, thank you. And all the best with your knee!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2018 at 11:53:40 #878528

Hi Alpenrose,

Thank you very much for the wonderful explanation:)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:05:26 #878529

>> And all the best with your knee!

Thanks Arno!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2018 at 2:05:59 #878530

You’re welcome!

• The thread ‘Can I use the Swiss Travel Pass for gondolas?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.