Rail tickets/passes to and from Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 4:53:46 #811951

Good morning,

I will be travelling to Lucern from Venice on 6th October and to Paris from Interlaken on 12th October. For movement within Switzerland I am preferring Swiss Travel Pass. Any suggestions where to look at on booking the tickets to and from Switzerland? Also since we are planning to buy swiss travel pass what part of the journey will be covered? I would really appreciate some suggestions here.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 9:53:23 #863803

Hi DJIndia,

You can read about the Swiss Travel Pass here. It has sections on where/how to buy and what is covered (including a PDF map) so you can see exactly what is and isn’t covered – almost all train travel in Switzerland are covered.

You can book your tickets to and from Switzerland here. You just need to buy tickets from Venice to the Swiss border town (most like Domodossola) and the Swiss border town (Basel) to Paris.

Cheers!
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 13:40:23 #863804

Thanks a lot.

What about booking tickets from Switzerland to Paris? What would be a reliable link?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 14:18:50 #863805

Hi,

The one I posted above – just click on the country you want tickets to or from (France is listed as well as Italy and others).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 May 2017 at 15:49:48 #863806

Thank you so much! Really appreciate it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 17:57:32 #863807

Hello Lucas,

A few follow up questions as I do not want to do mistake with the bookings and I would really appreciate your time if you can help me with this questions:

1. If the travel data is 6th October from Venezia Mestre to Lucern, then when should I book the tickets? Should I try at 7th June?

2.Since I intend to purchase Swiss Travel Pass, what do you suggest my border stop be Chiassio or Domodossola from Venezia Mestre?

3. I have a little confusion on how to buy the points to point ticket. For ex – see below

Screen shot 1: I will click on Rail Europe India since I will be purchasing from India and then click on Check Price. Is the link and step correct?

Screen shot 2: For ex: say I want to travel on 2nd October from Venezia Mestre to Domodossola. Is the link correct?

Screen shot 3: For 2nd Oct, I can see 2 trains till Domodossola and only flexible fares. Why are there no Best fares? Am I on the correct link?

Also for the further tickets from Domodossola or Chiassio to Lucerne, how do I do the booking? Should I buy a ticket directly from Venezia Mestre to Lucerne (screen shot 4) or I have to break the journey to Chiassio or Domodossola to enable my Swiss pass to kick in? Please help me

Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 9:33:24 #863808

Hi DJIndia,

1. There is no rush to buy these tickets – you are at the end of the tourist season, a few weeks ahead will be more than sufficient.
    2. You can’t choose the border stop. From Venice the train will travel through Chiasso via Milan most likely. You can search for train schedules with SBB here to see the exact route of your train. Hit the + sign to show the towns it passes through.
    3. Screen shot 1: Yes.
      Screen shot 2: Yes, you should use Venice St. Luzia (it is the main station in Venice).
      Screen shot 3: Yes, best fares aren’t always available – they come and go.
    4. No need to book anything from Chiasso to Luzern – you have the Swiss Travel Pass to cover this route (you can buy the Swiss Travel Pass here and have it emailed to you for printing at home).
      Reservations are extremely uncommon in Switzerland and often not available anyway except on panoramic trains.
    5. You may be able to buy a ticket from Venice to Luzern in one go online, but only if the website lets you enter that you have a Swiss Travel Pass so you get a discount.
      If you can’t enter that information just buy a ticket to Chiasso on the train that travels all the way to Luzern (so you don’t need to get off at Chiasso). When asked for your ticket after Chiasso show them your Swiss Travel Pass.

I hop that all makes sense for you!

• The thread ‘Rail tickets/passes to and from Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.