Reaching Grimentz same day of my arrival in Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 June 2017 at 21:13:43 #812227

Hi All

We will be arriving at Zurich on 6-7-2017, we will be landing at Zurich Airport at 2:00 PM. My main concern is

1) How long it takes to complete the immigration?

2) If catch a train from Zurich Airport towards Sierre and then Bus from Seirre to Grimtentz

Can reach on time or AM I going to miss the last bus? As the last bus is at 19:12 Hours.

Since I am not familiar how transportation works there in Switzerland I need some guidence?

Cheers

Trends

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 3:25:07 #864974

Hi trends-

Welcome to My Swiss Alps.

Time to pass through customs and immigration depends on whether you come from a Schengen country ( no passport control) or other countries.

Assuming the reasonable estimate for time to get from the plane to the train, of roughly one hour,

you could catch a train at 1540 or 1618 and reach Grimentz by bus at 2004. You will have 3 or 4 connections on your journey

I got these numbers from the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Please note the screen grab attached. You will need to access the timetable for details.

If you learn to use the timetable, your travels in Switzerland will be a lot easier.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 22:51:23 #864975

Hi Slowpoke,

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, really appreciate your nice gesture.

Cheers

Trends

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 June 2017 at 1:15:15 #864976

Hi trends.

<<“Thanks a lot for your suggestions, really appreciate your nice gesture.”>>

Thanks. Glad to help. That is why we are here.

Please learn to use the timetable; then you will not have to thank me again. 😉

Slowpoke

hockeyfan
    Participant
    162 posts
    13 June 2017 at 15:05:31 #864977

I would suggest you keep in the back of your mind a plan B. In 2001 we had your exact same plan but our plane was 10 hours late arriving in Zurich. Of course we could not make the last bus. We left Zurich and spent the night in Kandersteg. Have a great trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 22:49:12 #864978

Hi hockeyfan,

Yeah you are right, we changed our plan now I am looking for a nice place which falls in between Zurich and Grimtentz , also we thought of going to Zermatt as its connected well however again we felt its not worth to visit Zermatt spend night and explore Zermatt next day and leave to Grimtentz by 5:00 PM.

Cheers

trends

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 June 2017 at 23:12:06 #864979

Hi trends

I always plan my inter-continental travel to allow for up to 2 hours delay. You could possibly still make that work, but it would be awfully tight. Ten hours can’t be managed, of course.

After doing this for 37 plus years, I’ve simply resigned myself to staying the first night near my arriving airport when I fly to Europe. In this case, it is not a problem, because I have come to know Zürich and nearby cities, and thus enjoy the forced layover.

Grimentz looks like a really nice Valais village ( although I’ve never been there). Is there special reason to go there in July that I’m missing? I think that the annual migrations stopped in the 1950’s…?

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Reaching Grimentz same day of my arrival in Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.