Recommended list of Swiss chocolate brands

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 June 2017 at 17:12:38 #812107

Hi ,we are going to have a trip to Switzerland in August. We will like to search the chocolate products and try various brands apart from those available in Hong Kong. Can you provide the names and availability in common resources such as supermarket or snack shops ?

thank you

ms LAI SO FUN

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 9:35:36 #864406

Hi,

Lindt and Cailler are easily found in supermarkets and shops around Switzerland. Sprüngli is very popular but you often have to buy them at their own stores (which are common in larger towns like Zurich).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 10:07:42 #864407

Hey Lucas!

Are there any popular chocolates without eggs? Vegetarian or vegan, both suggestions would do!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 10:27:44 #864408

Hi Jay!

Dark chocolate is often vegan (but always check to make sure) and many of them are even organic. The largest selection of vegan, organic and fair trade chocolate is found in an health food store like “Reformhaus” or a “Bioladen”.

I’m not sure if you can find vegan or vegetarian/vegan chocolates at Sprüngli or other shops (I wouldn’ e surprised though so you might have some luck. If you are in Zurich check out Hiltl restaurant (there are 2) which serve only vegetarian options and will have lots of deserts for you to choose from!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 10:36:26 #864409

Wow you’ve made it so much easier! Thank you so much!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 13:59:16 #864410

Thank you Lucas for your kindness . The information is useful.

is there a bland called Freg because some friends of mine recommend it . Grateful if you can check it for me?

MS LAI SO FUN

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2017 at 15:35:15 #864411

Yes, it is called ‘Frey’ and it is a good brand of chocolate as well!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 June 2017 at 22:57:18 #864412

When I was much younger and going to school in Neuchâtel, I must admit that almost every day I would stop at a MIGROS and buy a Frey chocolate bar. They are the store brand of the MIGROS cooperative. I also bought the occasional Suchard as they were made right in Serrières and we could even smell the chocolate on the way home. But I don’t buy Suchard any more as I believe it is being produced outside of Switzerland.

I recommend the COOP brand “Qualité & Prix“. It is made in Switzerland and, unlike all the major brands like Cailler and Tobler and Lindt, it is only sold in Switzerland at the COOP stores. There is a huge variety, my favourites being Orange, Yogourt Fraise, Giandino Noir. The prices are more than reasonable and if you are lucky you will see them on special wrapped in packs of three or five (really good deal). The COOP stores are everywhere, just look for the large orange C and O and yellow O and P.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 1:29:14 #864413

Thank you Peterli

surely,I will try these brands which are 100% locally produced..wish that I can locate those special signs when I travel in Grindelwald, Zermatt, St.Moritz ,Zurich .

Ms LAI So Fun

I

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 June 2017 at 5:30:50 #864414

Don’t worry about locating the COOP and MIGROS stores. They are all over Switzerland, and not just in big cities. You can’t miss them. See the attached photos. The large orange MM stands for Migros-Markt. By the way, if you want to buy some of the internationaly-known brands of chocolate bars, they will be there as well. But these days, I stick to the Coop Qualité & Prix ones. The name says it all: Quality and Price ! Here is a video produced by COOP Suisse about their fair trade chocolate: https://youtu.be/psuech7yFSI

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2017 at 9:29:49 #864415

Wow!, It’s great to have such detail guidance. Absolutely I Will find it. Thank you for your assistance Peterli. I’m indulged with this information even there is still have 2.5 more months to go.

Ms LAI So Fun

• The thread ‘Recommended list of Swiss chocolate brands’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.