Regular trains on the Glacier Express route

• Boonkhim
    Participant
    8 posts
    17 October 2019 at 15:28:26 #824236

I will be traveling on 17 Dec from Zermatt to Zurich. The plan is to take the Glacier Express to Chur and from Chur to Zurich (it’s going to be a 7 hour train ride according to the SBB online timetable). Hence I am now trying to search up on doing the Glacier Express route via the regular train to do a comparison.

How should I go about inputting the details on the SBB online timetable to get the information I need to do a comparison ? I have tried putting ‘From Zermatt to Zurich via Chur’ , the results I have gotten is attached. It’s asking me to double back.

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Boon Khim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 October 2019 at 15:51:30 #923843

You need to look for Zermatt to Zurich via Andermatt and Chur. Regular trains won’t be quicker and you’ll have to change a few times. The Glacier Express runs straight through from Zermatt to Chur but you need to pay for seat reservations on top of the regular fare.

Anna
    6274 posts
    18 October 2019 at 4:05:32 #923844

Hi Boonkhim,

The Glacier Express is a direct train from Zermatt to St. Moritz. You can find a detailed description of the Glacier Express route on this page (including the various sections):
    Glacier Express route:http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/gettingth ere

There are regular train services on the same line as well. The regular trains are local trains, so you would have to switch trains multiple times to cover the whole route. To make a comparison using the SBB timetable, you would need to key in all the different sections of the route.
    SBB timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Hope this helps!

Anna

Boonkhim
    Participant
    8 posts
    20 October 2019 at 2:48:52 #923845

Thank you Rockoyster and Anna for your help.

It definitely help us in making a decision.

Boon Khim

• The thread ‘Regular trains on the Glacier Express route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.