Request help to finalize itinerary & rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 April 2017 at 13:00:53 #811522

Thanks team, for the wealth of information on this forum. Hopefully I can also receive your good advise and be sure of making the right choices for a family of 5 ( 3 adults, 1 child – 8 years and 1 infant 1.5 years). From 4th May late evening to 9th May afternoon we are booked at a camping site near Interlaken west station.

PART 1 – HELP WITH FINALIZATION OF ITINEARY

In terms of places of interest, we are trying to fit the following in our 4 full days (5th, 6th, 7th & 8th) and 2 half days (4th evening and 9th morning) in Switzerland before we start from Basel for Paris on 9th May late afternoon.

1. Mt Titlis excursion from Interlaken 2. Jungfraujoch from Interlaken by train to and fro 3. One day at Interlaken including Boating on Lake Brienz 4. One day local Lucerne to and fro from Interlaken 5. Montrex to see the Chateau de Chillon.

The points are ordered in priority based on online research and our individual preferences, however the overall goal is to avoid a completely rush trip with family hence we will be flexible based on your informed opinion. I believe I might have to drop either one mountain excursion or skip lake Montrex. Alternatively we can combine local sightseeing at Lucerne and Mt Titlis excursion. Please help with your advise on this choice.

PART 2 – HELP WITH VALIDATION OF RAIL PASS CALCULATION EXCEL

Based on the final itinerary I would need to alter my rail pass calculation sheet. But need help with your validation on the current attached version that considers 4 days of travel to and fro from Interlaken to each of the above points with discount for both kids since they will always be traveling with family. Hoping to fit the boat ride on one of these days (don’t know which yet, may be the day that we do only Lucerne?) The obvious conclusion from the current itineary and pass calculation sheet will be to take a 4 day Swiss Travel Pass to retain enough flexibility on addiitonal trips if time permits and weather consideration especially for the mountain excursions.

PS: We probably took some decisions too soon but would be unable to change those now – these decisions include Our non refundable tickets from Italy to Interlaken on 4th evening and Interlaken to Paris on 9th afternoon as well as the 5 night accommodation at a single location – Interlaken.

Thanks a lot in anticipation!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 April 2017 at 5:18:45 #862052

Hi Rajdeep26 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We’re happy to hear you are finding the website useful!

Yes, I think you can combine a visit to Luzern on the same day as your visit to Mt. Titlis to help you get your itinerary to fit in 4 days. Go up to the mountain in the morning or afternoon (whichever looks sunnier that day).

I think going to Montreux and Chateau de Chillon is a nice idea – you can also combine this with a trip from Interlaken to Montreux on the Golden Pass panoramic train if you wish.

I agree, things change and so does the weather so the flexibility and ease of use for the Swiss Travel Pass (4 days) would suit your trip very well. Also, with the Swiss Travel Pass your 8 year old will travel free but you need to order the Swiss Family Card at the same time (also free). Your youngest is always free.

Note that the 4 day pass for 2 adults is 528chf on your excel sheet.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Request help to finalize itinerary & rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.