Reservations for classic train on Golden Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 14:04:52 #814686

My sweethearts and I are planning on traveling from Montrex to Lucerne in May and I very much want to make sure we experience the Classic car. I contacted Rail Europe and the charge was almost $50 US without a guarantee of any particular seats . How and where can I reserve exact seats at a more reasonable price? And are there any suggestions on the best times to do this during the day?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 March 2018 at 17:48:36 #878257

Hi Joysicle and welcome to MySwissAlps!

It is difficult to plan that trip this spring due top construction on the line between Montreux and Zweisimmen (you get off the train and take a bus between Montbovon–Château-d’Oex, about 10km)

This is the section of the Golden Pass route that has the Classic panoramic train “Belle Epoque” in the Swiss railways timetable.

These classic cars are currently in and out of service due to renovations until June as well. You may luck out and you may not. The timetable should note the train as Belle Epoque if the classic train is running.

Technically the 08:53 and 13:44 departures should be the classic trains (see attached PDF) but there isn’t a way to guarantee it this Spring (reservations are not possible either).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 March 2018 at 21:07:25 #878258

Reservations between Montreux and Zweisimmen are simply not possible in May. Reservations from Zweisimmen to Lucerne are unnecessary.

From the official bulletin: “The GoldenPass Classic will be undergoing renovations from 8 January to 29 June. From 30 June, the three Belle Époque coaches will be put back into operation and the name of the train composition will change to GoldenPass MOB Belle Époque . During the conversion period, a scheduled train operates with conventional coaches.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 2:57:38 #878259

Thank you so much for your replies to my post. All I can say is Super Bunmet!

i So Wanted to experience the Classic train!

If anyone has any suggestions on how to have that experience such a train-since were starting in London and going all around Europe and Eastern Europe.’- Please do tell!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 March 2018 at 7:35:37 #878260

I haven’t come across a similar train in my travels around Europe yet – it is fairly unique as a refurbished heritage train. You may luck out with it as I’ve seen them running on the line sporadically (attached to other trains) but they are in for refurbishment until June technically. I have a feeling they are testing them empty when they are attached to other trains.

Maybe the Orient Express? 🙂 https://www.belmond.co m/trains/europe/venice -simplon-orient-express/

Arno
    15484 posts
    11 March 2018 at 12:39:57 #878261

Hi Joysicle,

You’ll find some really nice train rides on http://www.rhb.ch/en/world-of-railway-experiences/steam-nostalgic-rides, but these are excursions that can only be booked a few days per year typically.

• The thread ‘Reservations for classic train on Golden Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.