Rochers-de-Naye with Eurail pass from Lausanne

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 20:43:15 #821388

Does a Eurail pass work on going up the mountain to Rochers-de-Naye or is there another train or gondola you have to take. I see eurail ghoes there but I don’t know if it brings you to the scenic part. Also, if I go from Lausanne, is there anything else I want to see nearby or on the way.

Thank You

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 May 2019 at 20:47:54 #911310

Hi Soloindiatra

No Rochers-de-Naye is not covered by the pass, as you can see if you download the validity map for the pass here: http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y

It is well worth the trip though for the views, on a clear day. Be sure to check the weather forecast: http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye

Loads to do in Lausanne and nearby – how much time have you got and what are your interests? The Charlie Chaplin museum near Vevey is one idea.

Have a wonderful trip

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2019 at 4:17:00 #911311

Hi Maria,

The eurail train site has a train leaving Lausanne and arriving Rochers-de- Naye taking 1 hour 16 minutes. If you go to the eurail site and go to plan your trip and then find train times it shows a train from lausanne. Am I doing something wrong?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2019 at 12:05:52 #911312

Hi again,

Just because it’s showing doesn’t mean that it is covered by the pass… Did you have a look at the validity map for Eurail?

You can see more info on here: myswissalps.com/rocher sdenaye/tickets

Try using our timetable: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Maria.

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2019 at 15:26:21 #911313

Hi Soloindiatra,

Note that Eurail is a pass, not a train company. They don’t own or operate trains. The pass includes routes (see the first link that Maria gave you). The map shows Rochers-de-Naye as a grey line, so not included.

If you are a hotel guest in Montreux you will get a discount on this ride: http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux/hotels. But not if you stay in Lausanne unfortunately.

For things to do around Lausanne, please see http://www.myswissalps.com/la usanne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 May 2019 at 16:39:17 #911314

If you look at the Eurail site Plan Your Trip / Find Train Times the route is listed and does not indicate that it is not covered by a Eurail Pass which it does for other routes. Usually it is indicated as not covered by a red ticket symbol. Am I missing something? I thought if the route is listed with times and there is no red ticket it means it is covered by Eurail.

Thanks again

Arno
    15483 posts
    3 May 2019 at 17:12:15 #911315

Hi Soloindiatra,

I rarely use that train planner so I can’t tell you about it’s details, but it does say “The Eurail timetable also shows trains that aren’t covered by the Eurail Pass”. It is a timetable to check departure times, it’s not to check pass coverage.

For public transportation timetables in Switzerland you can best look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable.

For pass coverage within Switzerland, you can check our pass pages. In your case that’s http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y. Apart from that you can check https://www.eurail.com /eurail-passes/pass-benefits/benefits-switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2019 at 5:20:04 #911316

I do not want to be troublesome but eurail says any sbb cff ffs train is covered under a eurail pass and this company has trains to Rochers-de-Naye. It is important that info given to people who join this site is accurate.

Arno
    15483 posts
    4 May 2019 at 5:33:01 #911317

Hi Soloindiatra,

I refer to my previous posts, it’s not covered. SBB does not operate trains to Rochers-de-Naye. So be sure to buy a ticket. You can of course show your Eurail pass, but you would be very lucky if you got a discount 🙂 Do let us know!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2019 at 5:44:55 #911318

This is what I found on the Eurail site: Free train travel with many private railway companies

The main railway company in Switzerland is SBB/CFF/FFS. Your Eurail Pass is valid on all trains of this company.

Below you can find an overview of private railway companies that also accept your Eurail Pass for free travel.

When you go to SBB time table they list trains from Lausanne to Roches-de-Naye. They also list Lausanne to Gruyeres which does not show on the map.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    4 May 2019 at 6:11:56 #911319

The line between Montreux and Les Rochers-de-Naye does not belong to the CFF (SSB-FFS) but rather to Transports Montreux-Vevey Riviera, a private company.

As a follow-up to Arno’s mention of a discount for the train trip to les Rochers-de-Naye, if you stay overnight in a hotel or BNB or holiday apartment (even a campground in Montreux or Vevey), you will be offered a Montreux Riviera Card, which offers you many advantages. In the case of the line to les Rochers-de-Naye, the card gives you free transport as far up as Caux, which is further up from Glion and has wonderful views, and then a 50% discount on the remaining cost from Caux to the top. Please check the following website to see all that this card offers: http://www.montreuxriviera.co m/en/Z4845/montreux-riviera-card. Download the pdf on that page for complete information about this card.The attached aerial photo/map shows the entire line.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2019 at 15:18:19 #911320

This is what Eurail stated after I did an online chat:

[08:06:59] Ferran:

I am checking the connections and I don’t see why wouldn’t they be included in your Pass.

For example Lausanne to Rochers de Naye uses 2 trains, TRN train (included in the Pass) and Regional train (included in the Pass)

Then he said:

[08:12:16] Ferran:

Yes, if it shows in the Planner it means you can use the Pass. Please note some will require reservation (you can see that if it shows an R) and some trains (like some scenic trains) will show up but the Pass offers a discount not a free travel.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 May 2019 at 20:21:38 #911321

Hi Soloindiatra,

Please take the train and let us know your feedback, worst case scenario you have to buy a ticket on board.

Maria.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 May 2019 at 0:40:13 #911322

Will do. I will let you know. Eurail claims anything on their timetable is covered by eurail unless it has a red ticket. What they are saying does not match the map.

Arno
    15483 posts
    5 May 2019 at 7:33:40 #911323

Hi Soloindiatra,

Eurail passes are not valid from Montreux to Rochers-de-Naye. I am 100% sure and even double checked with the local train operator. You received incorrect information from Eurail unfortunately.

Again: just because a train is in a certain timetable does not mean that it is included in any pass. Passes cover routes, not trains. The map we referred to above for Eurail also shows that it is not included. I know you hoped for a different outcome but this is how it works.

You can indeed buy a ticket on board as Maria says, although I am not sure if they would add a “service fee” or fine in such a case. I’d recommend to buy it before you board as you will need a ticket anyway.

I hope you’ll enjoy the trip! It’s a beautiful route.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 May 2019 at 12:37:32 #911324

Hello once again,

I do not encourage you to board the train for les Rochers-de-Naye without a proper ticket. If you have the Montreux Riviera Card, which I have already mentioned, you will only have to pay for the part of the trip above Caux, and that will be at a reduced rate. If you only have a Eurail Pass, you will have to pay for the entire trip from Montreux. Be assured that this is not covered by the Eurail Pass, despite any false information given to you by one of their employees. Arno has double-checked and so have I. I have personally done this trip with some students and believe me, we paid for it, and this was BEFORE we boarded. So, avoid some embarrassment and fines and do it the right way. If you want to save some money, you can choose to walk down part of the route. Check some maps and ask some locals to see which part is the most do-able.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 9:01:28 #911325

I don’t want to beat a dead horse but this is the response from eurail:

Thank you for contacting the Eurail customer service team. Good to see that you are checking up on this.

When looking this up in the Eurail timetable, you can see that for this trip, a change is recommended in Montreux. You can see this yourself too, whenever you are filling in Lausanne and Rocher-de Naye in our timetable.

The first train that has to be taken is abbreviated by TRN. These trains are always included in your Pass. You can also look this up in the timetable of SBB, which is the national railway company of Switzerland. They will also give you this journey, and give more details into what kind of train it is. Their website for example shows that there is a InterRegio train operating between these two cities, which is abbreviated as IR.

The second train that has to be taken between Montreux and Rocher-de-Naye is a RegioExpress train, which is abbreviated by RE. This train will also always be included in our Pass.

You can also read this on our website, which says that the Eurail timetable RegioExpress trains are listed as “RE”, and Regio trains as “R”. InterCity trains are listed as “IC”, and InterRegio trains as “IR”. Regional and Intercity trains do not require seat reservations. Reservations are however recommended for Intercity trains during high season (May-September) and public holidays.

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 May 2019 at 14:13:05 #911326

Thanks for sharing that! The facts are still unchanged unfortunately. Lausanne to Montreux is indeed included, Montreux to Rochers-de-Naye is not. I suggest to go to the ticket desk in Lausanne or Montreux, show your pass, and buy your ticket there. They will only charge you for the section you need to pay for.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    7 May 2019 at 17:25:34 #911327

If the Eurail people are saying “The second train that has to be taken between Montreux and Rocher-de-Naye is a RegioExpress train, which is abbreviated by RE. This train will also always be included in our Pass.” they are very wrong. This is NOT an RegioExpres train, which you will clearly see once you are aboard. Somebody at Eurail is wrong, and I am sorry they have caused you so much uncertainty. They are in error, even in their spelling of Rochers-de-Naye (leaving out the s). Arno’s advice is 100% correct. I would suggest that you do this in Montreux.

You might want to read this: http://www.tripadvisor.ca/FAQ _Answers-g188108-d1633965-t3452172-Hi_Me_and_my_boyfriend _are_planning_a_trip_t o.html

This horse is definitely dead and needs no more beating, so I will stop following this thread, as well as the one about suggestions to improve this forum, which I feel has gone out of control.

• The thread ‘Rochers-de-Naye with Eurail pass from Lausanne’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.