SBB apps: seeking clarification on connections

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 November 2019 at 7:12:00 #824448

Hello, as it will be my first time to Switz using public transports, I am seeking clarification on whether I should be changing platforms on the route Zurich HB to Luzern, or just stay onboard all the way to Luzern. Attached is the screenshots of what were displayed on the sbb apps, the 1st is the standard view whilst the 2nd is a detailed view of the route.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

JaneEB
    Participant
    219 posts
    13 November 2019 at 9:53:08 #925026

Hi Shahidah63

Welcome to the forum.

For your information the name of the country is Switzerland.

Having looked at your screenshots.

If you catch the 9.32 train you have 1 change at Rotkreuz. This is shown by the dot on the line.

If you catch the 9.35 train there is no change. No dot on the line.

Hope this of help.

Jane

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 November 2019 at 10:08:22 #925027

Click on the train departures and they will expand to show you where the connections (if any) occur, how long you have between trains and which platforms you arrive and leave from.

In many cases you can also click to see a map of the station to show you where the platforms are.

Pick the direct (no change) train from Zurich to Lucerne.

The SBB mobile app is the greatest thing.

You can have a look at the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2019 at 1:16:55 #925028

To travel Zurich HB – Luzern, you should not choose any train that is not shown as 0 changes. Zurich – Luzern is virtually a shuttle service it is so frequent, and there are direct trains twice per hour throughout the day.

Trains depart Zurich HB at xx.04 and xx.35 minutes past each hour. The xx.04 is a few minutes faster than the the xx.35

This PDF might help you to visualise the schedule (you will see the trains I mention in bold type

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2019/660.pdf

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 November 2019 at 1:20:32 #925029

This discussion illustrates very well one of the downsides of online /computer journey planners. In this case the computer offers a service with a change of train even though a few minutes either side there is a direct train. In the past using traditional timetables one would never even bother to pick up on the train with one change.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 November 2019 at 2:06:31 #925030

This discussion illustrates very well one of the downsides of online /computer journey planners . . . .

No it doesn’t. Give me the SBB mobile app any day.

What are the other downsides you see in modern technology 1960man?

• The thread ‘SBB apps: seeking clarification on connections’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.