Scenic route for travel from Lugano to Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2017 at 19:27:50 #810827

For travelling from Lugano to Interlaken in June this year, we would like to take scenic route via Gotthard Pass, Goschenen. While going through webpages we found that the bus route to Meiringen is very scenic and from Meriengen there is rail connection to Interlaken. Pl advise on various alternatives. Thanks in advance.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2017 at 8:53:27 #859054

Hi bhatws1,

The most popular option and the most scenic, would be the Gotthard Panorama Express. It travels from Lugano to Flüelen by train and then by boat to Luzern.

It only operates on Saturdays, Sundays and holidays in June but you could take it from Lugano to Flüelen and then either take another train to Interlaken or complete the journey by boat to Luzern and then train to Interlaken.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2017 at 2:59:38 #859055

>> For travelling from Lugano to Interlaken in June this year, we would like to take scenic route via Gotthard Pass, Goschenen. While going through webpages we found that the bus route to Meiringen is very scenic and from Meriengen there is rail connection to Interlaken.

Are you referring to the bus trip over the Grosse Scheidegg? For this bus trip to end in Meiringen, and connect with the train to Interlaken, it has to start in Grindelwald. This is out of your way if travelling from Lugano to Interlaken Ost.

It can be done e.g. alight from the train at Meiringen, get the bus over the Grosse Scheidegg to Grindelwald, then train Grindelwald to Interlaken Ost, but would make for a very long day, with 4-6 changes along the way. I have attached a sample itinerary from the SBB timetable.

To check your options, use the advanced search in the SBB timetable. Put in Lugano as your starting point, Interlaken Ost as your destination, and Göschenen and Grosse Scheidegg as “via” stops.

If you are staying in Interlaken, the bus trip over the Grosse Scheidegg is easily done from there by first taking a short train trip to either Meiringen or Grindelwald. If you have time, I would recommend this as the better option for seeing the scenery between Meiringen and Grindelwald.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2017 at 10:31:46 #859056

Hi Alpenrose666,

Thank you for your reply. As I will be staying at Interlaken for 3 nights I will definitely try to accommodate bus trip to Grosse Scheidegg. Thanks for the details provided.

However what I was searching for was somewhat like this:

1. Lugano-Belllinzona-Göschenen ( By Train)

2. Göschenen-Wassen-Innertkirchen (via Susten Pass), possibly by PostBus?

3. Innertkirchen-Meiriengen – Interlaken Ost (By Train)

This route via Susten Pass will bypass Luzern and should be more scenic. However I am not able to get any Bus connection via Susten Pass.Could you or anyone pl. help on this route?

The travel time will be in June. Thanks and regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2017 at 11:08:39 #859057

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your reply.

After looking at the map provided in the file ‘swisstravelsystem.pdf’, I had thought of the following route:

1. Lugano-Bellinzona-Göschenen (Train)

2. Göschenen-Innertkirchen via Susten Pass (Postbus?)

3. Innertkirchen-Meiringen – Interlaken Ost (By Train)

Is this route feasible?

Secondly, the timings of Gotthard Panorama Express are not convenient as I cannot start from Lugano before mid-noon. However, I believe I can still take Lugano-Bellinzona-Göschenen-Ersfeld train, catch another train to Luzern and then to Interlaken. Hope this will still cover the scenic route taken by Gotthard Panorama Express. Kindly let me know.

My first choice is still via Susten Pass if feasible. Pl. advise.

Thanks and regards

Annika
    7103 posts
    18 February 2017 at 16:14:52 #859058

Hi bhatws51,

If the Gotthard Panorama Express timings don’t suit you, that’s no problem. You can use any train and boat that fit your schedule along the route as described here to enjoy the exact same ride and scenery. So the Gotthard Panorama Express route is certainly an option for the ride you have in mind.

The bus alternative via Innertkirchen is definitely scenic too, but less easy to plan and not necessarily prettier than the Gotthard Panorama Express and the beautiful ride between Lucerne and Interlaken using part of the Golden Pass route – in my opinion though. Both options are just different.

The bus over the Susten Pass can be used between Göschenen and Innertkirchen or as far as Meiringen, which would be easier. The exact schedule can be found here. Note that it’s only valid from June 24!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2017 at 10:54:04 #859059

Hi Annika,

Based on your suggestions and also considering constraints like transfer of baggage, shortage of available time, I have finally decided to take the Gotthard Panorama Exp train route from Lugano to Erstfeld, Erstfeld to Luzern by regular train (via Arth Goldau) & Luzern to Interlaken by Golden Pass Route.

Thank you for the guidance and help.

• The thread ‘Scenic route for travel from Lugano to Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.