Scenic train routes from/to Geneva and Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 13:41:42 #813810

Hi. Thank you for providing a way for visitors to inquire about travelling to Switzerland. My wife and I will have the opportunity to travel to Switzerland from 3 February to 7 or 8 February. We have the option of arriving in Geneva or Zurich and then leaving (for London) from Geneva or Zurich.

While in Switzerland, we are interested in taking the scenic trains (possibly 2 such as the Golden Pass and the Glacier Express). I would like to ask for advice on how to best go about this from the following perspectives so as to maximize our experience- (I) What city should we arrive in, (ii) What city should we depart from (for London), (iii) Which train route should we take first and how do we get to or connect to the next train route, (iv) Do you recommend that we spend a night at any of the cities or towns along a particular train route. Thank you very much for your assistance and appreciate any and all comments.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 December 2017 at 17:17:14 #872829

Hi vnlllb, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Please have a look at the suggestion below. Where I think you can spend more time, I’ve suggested some activities. The words in blue are clickable and will give you more information so you can decide whether it fits your wishes or not.

Arrive on an early flight in Geneva and take the train to Zermatt. In Zermatt you could visit the Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn. Take the Glacier Express to Andermatt the next day. From Andermatt you continue on the Gotthard Panorama Express via Flüelen to Lucerne or you take a train to Wengen from Andermatt, quaint little village in the Jungfrau region.

Lucerne is ideally located to visit Mt. Pilatus, Mt. Rigi and/or Mt. Titlis. From Wengen you have access to the Jungfraujoch and other villages like Mürren and Grindelwald.

The Golden Pass runs from Lucerne (via Interlaken which is close to Wengen) to Montreux. Whether you decide to stay in Lucerne, Wengen or any of the other villages, you will have easy access to the Golden Pass. You could spend the night in Montreux and take a boat trip the next day for example, or go straight to Geneva airport.

I’m not sure how much information you already have about the train passes, but it looks like the Swiss Travel Pass is your best option.

I hope this information gets you started.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 1:37:11 #872830

The attached map of scenic routes in Switzerland might help with your planning:

The Wilhelm Tell Express is now called the Gotthard Panorama Express.

Travel times for the scenic routes (one way) are as follows:

• Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz: 8 hours 06
    • Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano: 4 hours 13
    • Golden Pass line (full) from Luzern to Montreux: 5 hours 08
    • Golden Pass Line (part) from Luzern to Interlaken Ost: 1 hour 50
    • Golden Pass line (part) from Interlaken Ost to Montreux: 3 hours 05
    • Gotthard Panorama Express (boat and train) from Luzern to Lugano: 5 hours 26
    • Palm Express (PostBus) from Lugano to St Moritz: 3 hours 48
    • Voralpen-Express from Luzern to St. Gallen: 2 hours 16
    • RegioExpress Lötschberger (full) from Bern to Brig: 1 hour 41
    • RegioExpress Lötschberger (part) from Spiez to Brig: 1 hour 08
    • Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola: 1 hour 46

If you want to calculate travel time for short sectors along these routes, you can use the Swiss Timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 22:42:25 #872831

Thank you very much for your helpful / informative information Chantal. We are reviewing your proposed schedule to see how we can adapt it to our schedule.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 December 2017 at 22:44:57 #872832

Alpenrose, I appreciate the information on the length of the train trips which I have been trying to look for, which will help us a great deal in planning.

• The thread ‘Scenic train routes from/to Geneva and Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.