Scenic train from Zurich to Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 11:58:43 #812991

Good day,

I would really appreciate your assistance. We have been looking at ways to get from Zurich to Zermatt by train in 1 day, but I’m really confused. Can we take Gotthard Panorama Express which includes the boat trip from Lucerne to Flueten and then the Gotthard Panorama Express train to Zermatt?

Regards

Jeanne

South Africa

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 15:26:14 #868492

Hi Jeannem and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can’t take the Gotthard Panorama Express all the way to Zermatt – it ends in Lugano. It is possible to combine parts of the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express in one day. The Gotthard Panorama Express stops in Göschenen. From there, a short ride in a cogwheel train gets you to Andermatt, which is a stop of the Glacier Express. This would be quite tricky if not impossible to do if starting the day in Zurich though.

You could, however, take a train from Zurich to Chur and then take the Glacier Express train on its full route to Zermatt. Use the Swiss railways timetable here to plan your trips.

Read more about the Glacier Express here, and the Gotthard Panorama Express here.

Lucas

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 August 2017 at 23:01:36 #868493

Hi Jeanne,

I wonder if you mean get to Zermatt and back to Zurich in a day? The SBB timetable will show you the fastest route from Zurich to Zermatt which will take just over 3 hours. Not super scenic though.

Assuming you are asking about a one way trip . . . if you want to include the Gotthard Panorama Express route boat ride from Luzern to Flüelen then you can still get there in a day if you can get to Luzern in time to catch 9:12 am ferry. Then from Flüelen you can catch connections to pick up Glacier Express at Andermatt to get you to Zermatt by 5:10pm. See screenshots from SBB mobile app attached.

A very nice boat ride and two scenic trains all in one day. Depends if you mind all the changes along the way.

You could also go via Chur as Lucas suggests or for a different route altogether via Luzern, Interlaken OST, Kandersteg and Brig combining parts of the Golden Pass Route and the Lötschberger Express and the Glacier Express route Brig to Zermatt.

There are always many ways to get from A to B in Switzerland. Enjoy your trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 August 2017 at 6:06:18 #868494

Thank you for the very helpfull info Lucas and Rockoyster. Looking forward to our trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 August 2017 at 15:47:40 #868495

I have been looking at mountains to visit but please I need your assistance. Would you visit Jungfrau, Matterhorn, Titlis, Gstaad – Glacier 3000 and Gornergrat? One of the mountains must have snow and basic snow activities as we do not have snow in Johannesburg.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 7:41:01 #868496

Hi Jeannem,

Are you trying to decide on just one of those mountains during your trip?
    Essentially the higher the mountain, the more likely it will have snow (in the summer) When are you visiting Switzerland?

Jungfraujoch always has snow – and there is a now park there in the summer for you to enjoy. That would be my first choice.
    The Matterhorn has snow but you can’t actually visit the mountain top. You can visit Gornergrat or Klein Matterhorn for views of the Matterhorn and/or some activities. Definitely choose one while in Zermatt.

Mt. Titlis is quite high as well and should have snow – but not a snow park to play in like Jungfraujoch – worth a visit if you are near Luzern.

I don’t know if the Glacier 3000 is on your planned route when in Switzerland- if it isn’t I wouldn’t go out of my way to go there if you have visited the other places above, but if you are in Gstaad and you have time of course its a nice trip.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 August 2017 at 10:23:57 #868497

Thanks so much Lucas that helps a lot. We are flying to Switzerland on the 14th of September 2017. Can’t wait!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 10:43:03 #868498

Hi rockoyster,

Am I correct in presuming that the boat from Lucerne to Fluelen that departs at 9:12 is a ferry and is not part of the Gotthard Express.

Regards

Jeanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 August 2017 at 10:45:17 #868499

Hi rockoyster,

Apologies my question relates to your reply

Hi Jeanne,

I wonder if you mean get to Zermatt and back to Zurich in a day? The SBB timetable will show you the fastest route from Zurich to Zermatt which will take just over 3 hours. Not super scenic though.

Assuming you are asking about a one way trip . . . if you want to include the Gotthard Panorama Express route boat ride from Luzern to Flüelen then you can still get there in a day if you can get to Luzern in time to catch 9:12 am ferry. Then from Flüelen you can catch connections to pick up Glacier Express at Andermatt to get you to Zermatt by 5:10pm. See screenshots from SBB mobile app attached.

A very nice boat ride and two scenic trains all in one day. Depends if you mind all the changes along the way.

Thanks

Jeanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 August 2017 at 20:36:04 #868500

Hi Jeanne,

You are correct but the 9:12 ferry follows exactly the same route as the official Gotthard Panorama Express which has only one departure per day from Luzern.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 4:38:27 #868501

>> Am I correct in presuming that the boat from Lucerne to Fluelen that departs at 9:12 is a ferry and is not part of the Gotthard Express.

>> (from rockoyster) You are correct but the 9:12 ferry follows exactly the same route as the official Gotthard Panorama Express which has only one departure per day from Luzern.

Even better, the 9:12 boat is also a steamship with a restaurant, so the experience will be identical to the boat-trip sector of the official Gotthard Panorama Express 🙂 Just perhaps less crowded!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 5:48:13 #868502

Great!! Thanks so much.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 August 2017 at 7:57:49 #868503

Does my Swiss Rail Pass cover the ferry from Lucerne to Fluelen? How do I book seats on the ferry?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 August 2017 at 8:14:46 #868504

Hi Jeanne,

Yes the trip is free with the Swiss Travel Pass. You don’t (in fact can’t ) book seats. There will be plenty of seats and room to wander about.

If you want to access the upper deck and you are travelling with a 2nd Class STP you will need to buy a Class Upgrade to 1st Class. The dining room is upstairs.

You can buy a class upgrade at Luzern Station or via the SBB Ticket shop on-line or via the SBB Mobile App. Cost is half the difference between the 1st Class and 2nd Class fares.

• The thread ‘Scenic train from Zurich to Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.