Panoramic cars on regional trains in Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 15:38:28 #876325

Hi dakr1234 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

You can indeed use the Swiss railways timetable to plan your trip. However the Bernina Express train does not stop in St. Moritz at this time of year. You’ll have to take a regional train between Pontresina and St. Moritz (15 minutes) and then the Bernina Express panoramic train between Tirano and Pontresina.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 February 2018 at 22:48:31 #876326

Or have a look here http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-express#info.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 23:36:29 #876327

Hi Lucas,

I was referring to searching for panoramic cars on the regional train. In the other thread, Alpenrose666 said you can search for “AW” (Aussichtswagen) on the regional trains but I wasn’t able to do this.

Is it possible that AW is not available on the 25-27 March?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 February 2018 at 23:57:10 #876328

They run until 9 May. http://www.rhb.ch/en/panorami c-trains/bernina-panorama-winter

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 2:18:44 #876329

>> I was referring to searching for panoramic cars on the regional train. In the other thread, Alpenrose666 said you can search for “AW” (Aussichtswagen) on the regional trains but I wasn’t able to do this. Is it possible that AW is not available on the 25-27 March?

That’s right, those are not the normal panoramic cars, rather the open panoramic cars, and they don’t run in winter (too cold!)

What you need to look for in the timetable for a trip on your travel dates are trains denoted BEX (the Bernina Express) or regional trains with panoramic cars attached (denoted PR in the timetable). There are plenty of the PR trains on both your travel dates. Reservations are compulsory on both the Bernina Express and for the panoramic cars attached to the regional trains.

If you get the Bernina Express, you will need to change to a bus at Pontresina for the short trip in to St Moritz. The regional trains with panorama cars attached go direct to St Moritz.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 8:00:08 #876330

Ah my apologies! I misunderstood – Alpenrose’s post should clear it up for you. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 16:37:34 #876331

Thanks Alpenrose666 and everyone. This is so much clearer. However I have some follow up questions please:

1) Alpenrose666: I searched on the SBB and RBH websites but couldn’t find the PR annotation, unless you’re referring to the blue train icon before ‘R’?. They only have ‘R’ or Bernina Express. However when I clicked on the information icon on the RHB website, some journeys have the following note. I presume these are the trips that have panoramic cars.

“This train operates with standard coaches and air-conditioned observation cars in both 1st and 2nd class.
    The panoramic windows offer splendid views along the UNESCO World Heritage Albula Line.
    Seat reservation is required for the observation cars.
    Reservation is not possible for standard coaches.
    For groups of 10 or more people it is also necessary to reserve seats in a standard coach.”

2) I can’t seem to find a way to book the panoramic cars when I tried to buy tickets on the RHB website. There is an option to select seating (coach 9, 25 March, departing 11AM) however it doesn’t say that this is the panoramic car. Total price for single adult came to CHF 37. Any hints on how I can book the panoramic seats?

Thank you.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 20:43:55 #876332

The RHB Bernina Panorama Winter timetable page says the 11:00 departure (Train 1644) “. . . run with two 2nd class panoramic cars. A reservation is required here too.”. No 1st Class on that departure.

Pretty sure if you can reserve you are in a Panoramic Car.

Attached is SBB timetable for 1644 showing PR.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 23:11:56 #876333

Previous screen grab from “legacy” SBB timetable fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/en). Below is from latest style timetable . . . .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 23:55:33 #876334

>> I searched on the SBB and RBH websites but couldn’t find the PR annotation, unless you’re referring to the blue train icon before ‘R’?. They only have ‘R’ or Bernina Express.

When you do a timetable search, and the list of possible connections comes up (see attached screenshot 1), you need to click on the connection you want to get further information about it (see attached screenshot 2).

I have outlined the relevant bits in blue on the screenshots. Please have another try using the SBB timetable, and let me know how you go.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> I can’t seem to find a way to book the panoramic cars when I tried to buy tickets on the RHB website. There is an option to select seating (coach 9, 25 March, departing 11AM) however it doesn’t say that this is the panoramic car.

As stated in the text from the Rhätische Bahn website that you quoted above “Reservation is not possible for standard coaches“. So if you can make a reservation for a particular train, this means it is in the panoramic car.

>> Total price for single adult came to CHF 37.

That is the price for a ticket (CHF 32) plus a reservation (CHF 5).

As it seems (from another thread) you have not yet decided whether to get a pass or buy separate tickets, I would suggest you simply make a reservation now and worry about the ticket later. Tickets do not sell out, and you can buy them any time up until boarding the train.

To buy a reservation only, after putting in how many adults and children are travelling, you need to select “Ticket available” in the “Tickets/Reductions” box. Then you will just get charged CHF 5 for each reservation.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 12:22:36 #876335

Thank you so much for all the detailed instructions.

Yes, I’ve finally managed to find the panoramic regional train. The SBB would not let me book the panoramic seat as the date is too far ahead. I managed to make the booking on the RHB website instead.

I am travelling Varenna-St Moritz on 25 March and returning to Varenna on 27 March, so we’re spending 2 night in St Moritz. I’m interested in getting the Engadin Guest Travel Pass because it covers the Rhaetian railway and St Moritz local bus. I will just buy single journey from Trenitalia for the Varenna-Tirano section.

Does the Engadin Guest Travel pass cover the Tirano-St Moritz section of Rhaetian Railway? The note said “All public transport sectors in the Upper Engadin”.

Also, can I purchase the Guest Travel pass online? I couldn’t find any link on: http://www.engadin.stmoritz.c h

Thank you again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 February 2018 at 16:25:14 #876336

Hi dakr1234,

Indeed there have been a few passes for the Engadin area over the years – constantly evolving I suppose you could say. 😉 There is some more details on passes you can get on our St. Moritz travel page here. As you’ll see there are a couple versions and some are offered with a multi-night hotel stay.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 5:59:15 #876337

>> Does the Engadin Guest Travel pass cover the Tirano-St Moritz section of Rhaetian Railway? The note said “All public transport sectors in the Upper Engadin”.

No, it doesn’t cover the whole area between Tirano and St Moritz, but on that route, it covers transport between Alp Grüm and St Moritz.

The area in which the pass is valid is defined as “all public transport sectors in the Upper Engadin as far as Maloja – Spinas – Cinuos-chel – Brail – Alp Grüm“. You can check the location of those places on Google Maps.

Please note that the Guest Travel Pass is valid on the following public transport in the area defined above, but not on any mountain railways (cable cars, funiculars):

• ENGADIN BUS services
    • Local bus services (Ortsbus) in St. Moritz
    • PostAuto postal buses
    • Rhaetian Railway

Here is some information about bus services in the Upper Engadin, which might be useful:

Local bus lines

engadinbus.ch/wp-content/uploads/2017/1 1/linienplan_engadin_m obil_17_einzeltickets. pdf

On the following page, you can click on each bus line to see exactly which stops it services:

engadinbus.ch/linienpl an

If you will have internet access while you are out and about, you might find it useful to download the app, which is available in English.

engadinbus.ch/oev-live

I haven’t used that particular app. EngadinBus had their own app when I was last there, which I found extremely useful and used constantly. It no longer seems to be available.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 12:58:08 #876338

Wow, thank you Alpenrose666, this is really helpful.

It doesn’t appear that there is a general pass that will cover my journey from Varenna-St Moritz-Varenna as well as within the St Moritz area. I will book single journeys instead and look for a daily bus pass in St Moritz. I’m only travelling in this area over 3 days.

Regards.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 3:04:49 #876339

>> It doesn’t appear that there is a general pass that will cover my journey from Varenna-St Moritz-Varenna as well as within the St Moritz area. I will book single journeys instead and look for a daily bus pass in St Moritz. I’m only travelling in this area over 3 days.

You might want to consider the graubündenPASS for the south zone of Graubünden.

http://www.myswissalps.com/gr aubundenpass

http://www.rhb.ch/en/leisure-travel-and-excursions/discover-graubuenden/graubuende npass#info

If you prefer day passes, there is information here about day passes. You buy them from the bus driver, but first need to determine in how many zones you will be travelling for the day.

engadinbus.ch/tageskar ten

As far as I can tell, the page is not available in English, but these words might assist:

• Tageskarten – all-day tickets
    • Einzeltickets – single tickets
    • Zonen – Zones
    • Kurzstrecke – short trip
    • ab 6 Zonen / alle Zonen – 6 zones or more / all zones
    • Gültigkeitsdauer – duration of validity
    • 2. Klasse / 1. Klasse – 2nd class / 1st class
    • Erwachsene ab 16 Jahre – adults 16 years and over
    • Kinder 6-15 Jahre, Halbtax und Hunde – children 6-15 years old, Half Fare Card and dogs

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 February 2018 at 12:09:38 #876340

Thank you Alpenrose666!

• The thread ‘Panoramic cars on regional trains in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.