Seating on trains for Jungfrau and Schilthorn

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 2:13:26 #809007

Hello,

Can you please recommend which side of the trains on which to sit for the journeys to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn to get the best views? I have seen recommendations of the right side for Jungfrau, although I’m not sure about Schilthorn. But is that when you are seated facing forward and ready to go that you are on the right side? Or when you are boarding the train and probably walking in the opposite direction than you will be when seated?

We are leaving from Lauterbrunnen.

Thank you.

Kind regards.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 2:34:28 #851188

Hi Projects-

The transport to Schilthorn is by cableways, not a train. (unlesss you go via Grütschalp, in which case the short train ride to Mürren may possibly be better on the left.)

Going up from Lauterbruunen, there is on special view on the right just as you approach Wengen.

If you are lucky, and have very clear weather, you can see the valley as in the attached image

From Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg, right side makes good sense. From Kleine Scheidegg to Jungfraujoch, I have no idea. I have never made that trip, believing that my limited funds were better spent elsewhere.

Let us know what you think after you have done it, remembering that you have to ride down again and can change.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 15:53:06 #851189

Thank you! So when you say left or right side, is that seated facing forward for the journey or going onto the train, which is probably the opposite?

Annika
    7116 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:05:24 #851190

Hi projects,

The journey is described here too. For Kleine Scheidegg-Jungfraujoch the side doesn’t matter much, as a large part of the journey is actually within the mountains. There are two viewing points along the way (Eigerwand and Eismeer); all passengers can get out there, shortly enjoy the views and then board again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:08:32 #851191

Yes, I have copied down all that information — very helpful! But it still does not answer the question about right side of the train — is it your right side when you are on the train seated and moving forward or when you are loading, which is probably the opposite. Thanks!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:11:49 #851192

<<“is that seated facing forward for the journey “>>

Yes.

Look at the direction that the train will leave Lauterbrunnen….away from the railhead . Sit on the right hand side as if you are facing in the direction that the train is traveling.

However, many of the cars have about half and half seats facing in either direction. Whichever way you look when seated – toward the front or the back of the train – sit on the right relative to the forward direction of motion of the train. You may end up facing either way.

The train is meter gauge and the cars are small. You can see out both sides fairly well.

Also, as the train leaves Lauterbrunnen for Wengen and starts its climb, the views on the left, over the valley are best. Once the train turns, then the views on the right are better, and the best one is that view southwards that I posted, taken from just below Wengen. It only is there for a few seconds.

If you miss it, you can get off in Wengen, walk about 5 minutes to the lookout near the church, and maybe down the hill just a little bit. That is where I took that picture from.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:14:43 #851193

Wonderful! Thanks very much!

It’s a gorgeous photo. I appreciate your time.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    25 April 2016 at 16:25:34 #851194

Hi Projects-

Thanks-

A look at a a map will help you visualize the journeys.

http://www.swissholidayco.com /Public/Assets/User/fi les/Map-of-Jungfrauregion1.jpg

And,

map.search.ch/?x=-23676m&y=-28712m&z=64&poi=zug

I selected train stations using the tools under “Points of Interest.”

The map is obsolete.. There is only one train track into Wengen from below, although the roadbed may still be visible to a satellite camera….I think that they have removed all of the old one which was on unstable footings. The picture was taken from very close to where the old and new track routes merge just as you come into Wengen.

If you want hiking trails, there is another very complex and detailed map on the SwissTopo web site.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 April 2016 at 1:08:19 #851195

Thanks again!! All very helpful.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    26 April 2016 at 17:57:47 #851196

As an FYI, when traveling on Swiss trains the right/left direction is always cited as when seated facing the front of the train (direction of travel). This is important to know in larger train stations when instructions are given to disembark on either the right or the left side platform.

• The thread ‘Seating on trains for Jungfrau and Schilthorn’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.