Short trips from Lucerne – Suggestions please

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 20:53:44 #812159

We may have half a day open on our trip. We are planning to go Mt Pilatus but was looking if anybody had suggestions for short must visit places/trips from Lucerne.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 June 2017 at 22:42:47 #864668

Hi Parikh17-

Have you looked here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 22:59:25 #864669

I did go through the site and since we are doing jungfraujoch and Mt Pilatus , was looking for something different which we could do for couple of hours .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 June 2017 at 23:04:38 #864670

Hello Mr. Parikh,

I think if you have half day in Lucerne I recimond taking a lake lucern cruise. If you have the Swiss passes in any class 1st or 2nd your cruise is included and it’s a very scenic route that showes the hidden beauty of Switzerland. You get cruises just opposite the lucern train station and according to me a must have. Enjoy your trip.

Megha

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 June 2017 at 1:32:11 #864671

I’d spend the time in –

The Bourbaki Panorama,

the Jesuit church,

the Lion Monument,

The Rosengart Collection,

a walk from the Transport Museum along the lake to the Schwanenplatz,

the Picasso museum in the Old Town,

and, for a longer trip, a visit to Schwyz and the Bundesbrief Museum, and Bethlehem Haus at the Ital Reding Museum, as well as the Ital Reding Haus itself,

and a long slow walk through the old town, with a stop to check out the engineering details of the Spreuerbrüecke.

Many of those are not normal tourist fare, but that is what I would do.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 June 2017 at 13:43:54 #864672

Echoing and building on Megha’s suggestion: any route on the lake (Vierwaldstattersee) is enjoyable, and one very doable option is get off boat at Weggis, take cable up to Rigi Kaltbad, after brief time there, cog rail down to Vitznau and resume boat cruise. Weggis and Vitznau are small, charming villages right on the lake.

I’ll add comment that, in my opinion, visit to Mt Pilatus is very weather-dependent–spectacular if a clear day but very limited views if too cloudy. If the former, you may encounter crowds.

I’m an American just back from fourth trip to Switzerland, using Luzern as a base for much of all of them. Hope you enjoy great weather and all the sights.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 15:07:49 #864673

Hi Jroger –

This link has a good deal of information and pictures, especially about the southern portion of the Vierwaldstätterse ( that is, the Urnersee).

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

I think thatthe southenmost part of the lake is the most beautiful, but, any part is worth a ride.

The issue in this case is available time. This may help:

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 June 2017 at 18:13:09 #864674

Hi Jroger –

Here are a couple of photos about Pilatus.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Short trips from Lucerne – Suggestions please’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.