Swiss Pass needed for Geneva-Grindelwald-Zermatt?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 10:12:54 #810059

Hi All!

Me and my boyfriend are visiting the following places in October:

11 Oct Reach Geneva Airport and stay in Geneva

12 Oct Geneva > Interlaken > Lauterbrunnen > Trummelbach Falls > Mürren > Winteregg > Grütschalp > Lauterbrunnen > Stay at Grindelwald

13 Oct Grindelwald > Jungfraujoch > Kleine Scheidegg > Stay at Grindelwald

14 Oct Grindelwald > Zermatt > Gornergrat > Rotenboden > Riffelberg > Stay at Zermatt

15 Oct Zermatt > Geneva > Geneva Airport

Is it worthwhile to get a Swiss Pass? If yes, which type ? Or daily pass will do? Thanks a million :o)

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 September 2016 at 12:02:18 #855800

Hi friend,

It is swiss half fare card.

Arno
    15482 posts
    8 September 2016 at 12:26:43 #855801

Hi HuiTeng,

Welcome to MySwissAlps! Without a pass this would be pretty expensive. A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass will work (Oct 12 – 15), or a Swiss Half Fare Card like dipchat995 suggested. Traveling within Geneva on the 11th is free.

These pages have all the details and help you choose between both options:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 8:44:14 #855802

Thank you 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 8:45:16 #855803

Thank you 🙂

Do you know where can I ski during October (I have never skied before)? How much is it? Thanks!

Arno
    15482 posts
    9 September 2016 at 9:12:07 #855804

Hi HuiTeng,

Ski season doesn’t start until mid December. As a beginner, you would need a week of lessons to get started. There are limited options in Zermatt and Saas-Fee all year round, but these are not the best places for beginners (thin air, difficult snow conditions).

You’d better come again in winter and take lessons to really enjoy skiing.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 September 2016 at 9:19:14 #855805

Hi Arno

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! =)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 September 2016 at 16:14:56 #855806

Hi Arno

I have done the homework 🙂 However, I am not sure about the discount for swiss pass (25% vs 50%) when I look at the map.

1. Could you refer to my attachment and help to take a look? Thanks! It seems that half day ticket is more suitable for us.

2. Besides that, do I need to take public transport when I do Geneva city tour? Are the attractions at walking distance?

Many thanks.

Arno
    15482 posts
    20 September 2016 at 18:19:02 #855807

Hi HuiTeng,

1. Sure! The 25% applies to the Jungfraujoch trip only, so you got that right. Other mountain trips are discounted by 50%: Gornergrat as well! And, note that Zermatt to Geneva is free (100% discounted). Once you’ve made these changes the Swiss Travel Pass will turn out cheaper than your current amount.

Note that you’ve listed 3 tickets for day 3, but in reality you can simply buy a return ticket Grindelwald – Jungfraujoch. It doesn’t matter that you get off the train and continue later. A return ticket is slightly cheaper: CHF 184 (full price).

2. That depends on what you want to see. Here’s a tour on foot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2016 at 1:02:23 #855808

Hi Arno! Thanks for your help! I have revised the % as highlighted in yellow. Anything other changes I need to make? I think I will buy Swiss Half Fare Card since it’s about CHF50 cheaper than Swiss Travel Pass 😀

Arno
    15482 posts
    21 September 2016 at 8:01:10 #855809

Hi HuiTeng,

Note that Grindelwald to Zermatt is free with a Swiss Travel Pass. It’s only the Zermatt to Gornergrat section you need to pay 50% for. So that trip won’t cost your CHF 70.30 but only CHF 22.50. The Swiss Travel Pass will cost you about the same as the Swiss Half Fare Card, but the Swiss Travel Pass is much more convenient as you don’t have to buy tickets all the time. And you can have additional trips and museum visits for free, if applicable.

You can print the pass at home for extra convenience and to save time: please visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) within 1-3 business days, so be sure to order in time.

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass needed for Geneva-Grindelwald-Zermatt?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.