Sight seeing in Grindelwald

• Jose
    Participant
    8 posts
    5 September 2014 at 0:55:00 #806623

I would like to get guidance about important sight seeing highlights in and around Grindelwald . My base station is Grindelwald and I have booked a hotel in Grindelwald in the first week of October. I already bought Swiss Card.

jose

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    5 September 2014 at 6:46:34 #840991

Hi Jose,

Tips can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/grindelwald/activities

All about the Swiss Card, including a map showing what’s included, can be found here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisscard

Jose
    Participant
    8 posts
    7 September 2014 at 1:46:38 #840992

Hi Arno,I am staying at. Grindelwald very near Grindelwald Bahnhof which I understand is the terminus. Will all the trains to Jungfrau from Interlakem halt at this station or do I have to go to some other station. I am finding a number of stations with the name Grindelwald, Grindelwald Grund etc.

regards

jose

Arno
    15484 posts
    7 September 2014 at 7:52:13 #840993

Hi Jose,

All trains end/start at the station that is simply called ‘Grindelwald’. So people change trains there on their way from Interlaken to the Jungfraujoch (unless they travel via Lauterbrunnen). There is only one other train station in Grindelwald and that’s Grindelwald Grund, the first stop after Grindelwald on the way to the Jungfraujoch. So you can board in Grindelwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2014 at 16:49:44 #840994

There are many things to do in and around Grindelwald. I’ll mention a few favorites. if you enjoy hiking, take the gondola to First. From there you can choose from a number of hikes of varying difficulty. Also a great place to watch para gliders launch. A short bus ride toward Grosse Scheidegg takes you to a working saw mill. Another bus takes you to the base of the Oberer Gletscher which offers a nice climb. Up the other side of the mountain is the Rodelbahn, a permanent luge. You can also hike to another glacier from this point. You can take a train or a gondola to Lauterbrunnen where you will find a lot of interesting things in the valley as well as on both surrounding mountainsides. Your problem will be too little time.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 September 2014 at 18:19:20 #840995

These are good tips FREDRGS. Thanks for sharing that!

Jose
    Participant
    8 posts
    12 September 2014 at 5:57:08 #840996

thanks for the information

stevemcdonald
    Participant
    42 posts
    18 September 2014 at 1:20:37 #840997

Just a comment along with those of FREDRGS about things to explore from Grindelwald and how much time is involved: We stayed in Grindelwald 3 nights in June 2012. It took a full day to do the following: walk down to the gondola near Grindelwald Grund that took us up to Mannlichen (great views of the Grindelwald area), where we switched to the tram down to Wengen (precipitous drop down into the Lauterbrunnen Valley – I think more beautiful than Yosemite here in California), then we caught the rail down to Lauterbrunnen, the tram up to Grutschalp, the train to Murren, and finally the tram ride up to the Schilthorn and the Piz Gloria restaurant for only about 30 minutes (another great view and of James Bond fame – Google it), and then back down to Lauterbrunnen, caught the train going up to Kleine Scheidegg and then caught the last train back down to Grindelwald. A very long day on public transportation, missed some transportation connections, but very rewarding. Don’t miss the Jungfraujoch – expensive but well worth it. Have lunch in Kleine Scheidegg staring up at the Eiger, Munch and Jungfrau. Would love to go back.

• The thread ‘Sight seeing in Grindelwald’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.