Small mountain villages to visit near Luzern?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 6:08:45 #871021

Also Gissbach waterfalls? In the same route?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 October 2017 at 6:22:58 #871022

Giessbach Falls are on the other side of Lake Brienz (Brienzersee) from Brienz. Need to catch a ferry from Brienz then funicular up to the Grand Hotel. Probably not practical for you given your time constraints. Ferry timetable up to 22/10/2017 is here http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/fahrplan-2017.pdf?la=en&vs=1

See recent trip report at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-part-8-brienz-geissbachfall.

Brienzer Rothorn train departs Brienz station and takes about 1 hour each way. Brienz is a stop on the Luzern – Interlaken Express which I think you will be taking on your way back to Zurich.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2017 at 7:48:49 #871023

Hi traveler17 –

<<“How can I go to Brienzer Rothorn from Brienz Train stat or anywhere else? How long does it take there?

I am coming from Grindelwald”>>

The answer to question like these is in the timetable:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It takes about 1 hour and 15 to 20 minutes from Grindelwald to Brienz, at xx41 and xx11.

Also, this map can help. Zoom in to see the train lines:

map.search.ch/?pos=647424,168480&z=8

map.search.ch/?pos=647312,180092&z=64

Zoom in further and switch to aerial view to see the two train stations:

map.search.ch/?pos=645874,178385&z=20 48

The train station for the Brienzer Rothorn is directly across the street from the main train station.

It is to the right of just a bit behind the hotel Weisses Kreuz.

A round trip from Brienz to Brienzer Rothorn takes about 2 hour and 40 to 50 minutes, and includes about 30- 40 minutes up top between trains.

You may not have time for it.

Use the timetable.

Once you are back down, it takes just under 3 hours to get to Zürich airport from Brienz. To be precise – 2 hours and 48 minutes. Trains from Brienz to Zurich airport leave Brienz once per hour at xx25.

If you leave the top at 1220, you will be at the airport at 1713

If it is a cloudy day, don’t go up. You go up for the views, although the train ride is an interesting experience.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 8:21:06 #871024

I took off in the wrong station because of conductor so I don’t have time any more.

Now I can go to Lungern…Do you have another advise to see the view from top?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2017 at 8:31:41 #871025

No.

Lungern is a nice place. Bit of a climb down to lake and back up to station.

The restaurant at (near) the train station ( the Bahnhöfli) is good.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 October 2017 at 11:21:30 #871026

I catched the train and took Rothorn but it is too cold:( no special view after Luzern or Grindelwald.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 October 2017 at 11:52:16 #871027

<<“I catched the train and took Rothorn but it is too cold:( no special view after Luzern or Grindelwald.”>>

Yes, it does get cold at high altitude.

How were the views from the Rothorn?

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 October 2017 at 2:08:52 #871028

Hope you got to Zurich in time for your plane @traveller17.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 7:54:37 #871029

Yes, traveller17 I am at home , Istanbul now 🙂

But I still think about I should have spended time effectively:) Your country is very beatiful , green, you live in the nature …

Slowpoke , yes the views were so beatiful but when it is cold you cant enjoy. However I went to First one day before but at Rothorn I saw the mountains from up:) also when going down the views are so beatiful. I think in Spring and Summer it is better to see

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2017 at 11:48:12 #871030

<<“Slowpoke , yes the views were so beatiful but when it is cold you cant enjoy. However I went to First one day before but at Rothorn I saw the mountains from up:) also when going down the views are so beatiful. I think in Spring and Summer it is better to see”>>

Sorry to hear that you did not come prepared for the cold.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Glad you got to to see what a wonderful ride that is. There used to be a cableway/chairlift connection from Schönbuhl down to Lungern. The hike from Rothorn to Schönbuhl is beautiful. But, at that altitude, I don’t do that hike anymore, because the cableways are not running, and I’d have to return on the same route. Too much for me at 2300 meters.

And, the weather up there can change quickly. Once we went up starting in sunshine, and at the top is was snowing and sleeting.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2017 at 18:55:30 #871031

<<“But I still think about I should have spended time effectively:) Your country is very beatiful , green, you live in the nature …”>>

Hi traveller17.

I agree that Switzerland is a beautiful country.

And, I also agree that my country is very beautiful. I live in the United States of America.

Some of the more beautiful parts of the USA are not green. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 19:31:05 #871032

Slowpoke .. I would like to ask something. When I went to Grindelwald First (about 2300 m) it was not cold contrary hot and windy so I became red:) but in Rothorn klum, it was too cold . What is the reason?

Also the weather change made me depressive:(

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    22 October 2017 at 20:59:57 #871033

Slowpoke, I agree some of the most beautiful parts are not green. For me the Fiery Furnace in Arches,Chesler Park in Canyonlands,HooDoos in Bryce, and the many slot canyons in Escalante immediately come to mind.However for most of my 64 years of hiking, mountains have had a special hold on me. But I’ve been reasonably open to most all mountains. Personal favorites include Tores de Paine in Chile, Denali, Milford Track, Amalfi, the Rockies esp around Jasper, and of course Yosemite and Jackson Hole. Well come to think of it I can’t think of any mountain hike I didn’t like. I discovered the hiking around Wengen only recently, 3-4 years ago. To me it’s world class, not necessarily better but definitely just as good and definitely civilized for a 64 YO with previous back and knee surgeries. Last, I must confess to my personal prejudice : I live 20 minutes from The Great Smokey Mts National Park and there’s no place like home. P.S. esp if you know how to avoid the regular tourist sites Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:39:58 #871034

<<” Slowpoke .. I would like to ask something. When I went to Grindelwald First (about 2300 m) it was not cold contrary hot and windy so I became red:) but in Rothorn klum, it was too cold . What is the reason?

Also the weather change made me depressive:( “>>

I referred you to this information before:

http://www.myswissalps.com/we ather

I quote from that link:

=========

The weather in the Alps: anything is possible

Nowhere the weather is more changeable than in the mountains. The Swiss Alps are the border between the cooler Northern European climate and the warmer Southern European climate. Therefore it often forms the separation between different kinds of weather. At the same time, cooler and warmer types of weather can be found in Switzerland.

At a regional level this is a known phenomenon too. While the sun is shining in one valley it may be raining at the other side of the mountain. The weather may also clear up very fast. A cloudy, drizzly morning does not necessarily have to be a sign for a full day of bad weather. There may be a cloudless sky within the hour. It goes the other way round as well, and on a beautiful day it may suddenly become cloudy and rainy. This certainly is something to take into account.

Temperature

Temperatures vary a lot by season, location and elevation. Still, Switzerland’s climate may be classified as mild. It is strongly influenced by the relatively nearby Atlantic. Winds from the Atlantic transport moist and mild maritime air into Switzerland. This results in a relatively mild climate. On average, the areas north of the Alps are cooler than the areas south of the Alps. South facing slopes receive more sunshine and are warmer than north facing slopes. Wide valleys and lakes receive more sunshine than narrow valleys. Elevation is what influences the temperature most. Every 100 m (328 ft) of gaining height causes temperature drops up to 1 °C (1.8 F). On mountain tops it may be chilly even in Summer and you may encounter thick layers of snow. In low sunny areas like Lake Geneva and the Rhône valley in the Valais, there is a Mediterranean climate in summer. Palm trees can be found in the sunniest region of Switzerland: the Lago Maggiore in Ticino.

Warmest months: July and August;

Warmest areas: Lake Geneva, the Rhône valley up to Brig, and the valleys of Ticino. All low elevation areas around lakes and rivers from the West to the North East (Geneva – Zurich – St. Gallen) are pretty warm as well;

Coolest months: January and February;

Coolest areas: all places high up in the mountains and the Engadine.

=================================

This MySwissAlps website has a lot of information that is useful to review before you visit Switzerland. If you return, look it over before you come back. It will help you plan better.

If it was hot and windy at First, you may have been experiencing a weather phenomenon called the “Föhn.” It is common in the Swiss Alps.

From Wiki-

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Foehn_wind

<<“A föhn or foehn is a type of dry, warm, down-slope wind that occurs in the lee (downwind side) of a mountain range.

Föhn can be initiated when deep low pressures move into Europe drawing moist Mediterranean air over the Alps.

It is a rain shadow wind that results from the subsequent adiabatic warming of air that has dropped most of its moisture on windward slopes (see orographic lift). As a consequence of the different adiabatic lapse rates of moist and dry air, the air on the leeward slopes becomes warmer than equivalent elevations on the windward slopes. Föhn winds can raise temperatures by as much as 14 °C (25 °F)[2] in just a matter of minutes. Central Europe enjoys a warmer climate due to the Föhn, as moist winds off the Mediterranean Sea blow over the Alps.

In some regions, föhn winds are associated with causing “circulatory problems”, headaches, or similar ailments.[3] Researchers have found, however, the foehn wind’s warm temperature to be beneficial to humans in most situations, and have theorised that the reported negative effects may be a result of secondary factors, such as changes in the electrical field or in the ion state of the atmosphere, the wind’s relatively low humidity, or the generally unpleasant sensation of being in an environment with strong and gusty winds.[3]”>>

Besides the possibility of the Föhn, you may have had a sunny day at First and a cloudy day at Rothorn Kulm.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:41:17 #871035

G’day Slowpoke,

Nice photos.

We have a totem pole too – just not as dry as yours. unusualplaces.org/tasm anias-totem-pole-a-climbers-best-challenge/

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:48:31 #871036

G’day Rockoyster –

At least if you fall of of yours, you have some chance at a soft ( wet) landing.

Spider rock is a bit taller – approx 230 meters.

Many of the places I showed are in the Navajo Nation. They may have religious significance ( Shiprock, for example).

Climbing is generally not permitted. Some areas are off limits. You cannot get to the Totem Pole with out a Navajo guide.

You would not want to climb Spider Rock. The Spider Woman lives on top and eats small children. I doubt that adults get a pass. 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:52:34 #871037

Thank you so much Slowpoke for such detailed information 🙂

Actually I cant come again in short time..maybe in the future but I will give advise to whom intends to go to Switzerland ..

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:58:18 #871038

Hi Marki –

I know most of those and like them as well.

As long as this thread is drifting, I’ll go with the flow. One of the moderators can tell us to stop if they wish. 😉

Do you know the Bisti?

The “Fun with Rocks ” picture was from there.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2017 at 21:59:55 #871039

<<“Thank you so much Slowpoke for such detailed information :)”>>

You’re welcome. Hope it is useful —someday. 😉

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    23 October 2017 at 2:07:17 #871040

Thanks for the pics Slowpoke, I’ve never had the pleasure of hiking in New Mexico but it looks like a great place to visit. It reminds me of the Valley of Goblins near Moab, also a great hike.(see attachment). One place on my bucket list to visit some day is The Atacama Desert. An Explora Lodge is there and if as good as one in Patagonia, then would be first class. Any experience? I realize has nothing to do with Swiss Alps so won’t beat this to death. Mark

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • The thread ‘Small mountain villages to visit near Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.