Small mountain villages to visit near Luzern?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 October 2017 at 9:22:37 #871042

Thanks.

You are right. I do like those photos.

I recognize Bryce, and the slot canyon…. maybe Antelope Canyon?

Most of my photos from that area were taken 25-30 years ago and lack quality of various kinds. Poor photographic technique, some films that did not hold up well… We particularly liked the Queen’s Garden at Bryce.

I also have a couple of photos from Goblin Canyon, buried in some older files. Taken in 1990. Some film deterioration since then, so a re-scan needs a lot of work, if i could find the ‘chromes. These will do. I blurred the faces.

And, we spent time in Canyonlands and Capital Reef. The picture already posted, taken near Mexican Hat, was, of course in Utah. And, there is a good view of the Goosenecks of the San Juan just off Rte 261 near Mexican Hat.

The attached picture of Mexican hat was taken with my 6by7, which partially explains the poor depth of focus

Have you been on the Muley Point Outlook? Apart from the views, there are some interesting plants.

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    23 October 2017 at 22:31:05 #871043

Slowpoke, The slot canyon is Peek-a- boo in Escalante, very similar to Antelope but in the middle of nowhere with no signs or markers.The last picture is Angels Landing at Zion, to me a very unique hike. I am unfamiliar with Muley Point but where and how plants grow in the desert is remarkable. here is a photo of a tree growing in a very inhospitable place. It’s very impressive you can recall and locate photos taken so long ago in 35 mm film. I’m relatively new to photography as I started on an African safari in 2003, when digital photography was common. Often i’ll now take 1000 photos on a hiking trip and i have way more cameras than a sane person should. Un thinkable in days of 35 mm film. Since this is Swiss Alps website i included a photo of the Matterhorn at sunrise and some of those Swiss cows on Schynige Platte taken this past September. Mark

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 October 2017 at 23:40:15 #871044

<<“It’s very impressive you can recall and locate photos taken so long ago in 35 mm film.”>>

1990 was special year and a special trip. That helps with the memories.

I have some really nice ones from a trip to Switzerland in 1989, but the people’s faces make the images. I won’t post them, because blurring the faces will ruin the images.

All nice. I like the compositions a lot.

The tree picture seems over-sharpened, if you look at the foreground rocks…?

I downloaded it and put it into Photoshop. The problem became apparent immediately. Too small. Pixelated.Also, and this is a matter of personal preference, I like my images to be a bit less saturated.

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    24 October 2017 at 2:23:31 #871045

The tree photo was taken several years ago and I can’t remember how it was edited. Usually I try to avoid excessive cropping but its possible it was. I did export it for email in the lowest resolution jpeg, if that matters. My wife also says I like too much color saturation, oh well as you say personal preference.But I have no pretense of any special talent in photography. I do it to remember events and strictly as a hobby, although I’m not above trying to improve.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 11:43:40 #871046

Hi Slowpoke and Mark

You two may have gone way off subject but I have to say I have found your photographs fascinating – like nothing I have ever seen before! The colours in some of those rock formations are extraordinary.

Maggie

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 October 2017 at 14:46:14 #871047

Hi Maggie-

Thanks. It is definitely different from Switzerland. 😉

The country out there has a feeling of openness, different from Switzerland, much of the UK, and the the eastern part of the USA. Even if you’re not there for photography, you feel that difference. The great distances between population centers contribute. The rock formations are a bonus.

A good part of it is in the Navajo Nation. From Wiki:

<<“The Navajo Nation (Naabeehó Bináhásdzo) is a Native American territory covering about 17,544,500 acres (71,000 km2; 27,413 sq mi), occupying portions of northeastern Arizona, southeastern Utah, and northwestern New Mexico in the United States. This is the largest land area retained by a Native American tribe, with a population of roughly 340,000”>>

Switzerland covers 9 According to Wiki-

<<“Switzerland is a landlocked country geographically divided between the Alps, the Swiss Plateau and the Jura, spanning an area of 41,285 km2 (15,940 sq mi).”>>

The Navajo Nation covers 1.72 times as much territory as Switzerland.

Great Britain is about 3 times the size of the Navajo Nation.

Slowpoke

Mark
    Participant
    804 posts
    24 October 2017 at 15:55:06 #871048

Hi Maggi, Yeah we did get off subject or off the reservation so to speak. I’ve traveled all over the world and to me our southwest is unique and unsurpassed. I’m most familiar with southern Utah where there are vast areas like around Escalante that are virtually uninhabited. That’s why some day I hope to visit The Atacama desert and see how it compares to ours. I believe hiking, even if just day hikes, is by far the best way to visit. Of course, it’s always dangerous to compliment an avid photographer’s photos. You can be trapped viewing a bottomless pit Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 October 2017 at 21:07:24 #871049

Slowpoke

I would like to ask something. When I was in Switzerland last week, I realised something. Although the country is small , the travelling by trains take time even between close points. Please correct me if I am wrong. Is the reason that the country is mountainous, hilly. Also are the trains fast?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2017 at 6:28:47 #871050

Hi Traveller17,

Yes, traveling around Switzerland by train or car is a bit more time consuming due to the geography. While there are a lot of tunnels in the country, the roads aren’t quite as wide and fast as say Germany or the US.

Regional trains make regular stops but I’m not sure their speeds…maybe 100km/h at most. There are faster InterCity trains and the odd ICE train in some parts of the country and they travel a fair bit faster of course but only in some areas where it is possible.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 October 2017 at 8:32:25 #871051

Hi Lucas-

Amplifying your comments, there are very few long straight stretches of track in Switzerland that allow for very high speed trains. Where the tracks permit, the Swiss trains do hit high speeds. In the new Gotthard Basis tunnel is an example.

Speeds up to 250 km/hr are achieved, and new locomotives with that capability have been added to the rolling stock.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Gotthard_Base_Tunnel

And, on the mainline north of Bern, between Biel and Solothurn, the tracks have been rebuilt and made more suitable for high speed rail, so there are short stretches where high speeds are attained. Also, the fastest trains bypass many small towns and intermediate stops. That is one reason why the current route from Luzern to Geneva is faster than the old one through the Emmental, even though the new route goes all the way north to or almost to Olten, where it turns southwestward and picks up the newer, faster trackage. towards Bern.

The trip to Geneva is longer in distance, faster, and less scenic than the Emmental route through Langnau i.E.

And, of course, in the mountainous regions, mountain transport is inherently slower, not only because of the curves, but also the gradients, which are steep enough to require cograil traction.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 October 2017 at 9:41:46 #871052

Slowpoke Lucas

Thank you so much for your detailed explanations.

I am back to Istanbul but my mind is still in Switzerland:) I more curious about the geography,demography.. and I learnt many things .

From Lugano to Luzerne, I passed Gotthard Line (I think it should be Gotthard) and saw Wassen Church three times by selecting Goschenen stop in train selection:) It was amazing road but I regretted later I did not take on Gotthard Special Train.

Your nature is very beatiful , you can see green fields every day which we cant see in this city because of buildings . However Switzerland even small towns is too expensive to come back again 🙁 I think the prices are getting high in Summer (high season) .

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    26 October 2017 at 13:15:02 #871053

Hi traveller17 –

No question Switzerland is expensive.

We have helped travelers on tight budgets find places with relatively low costsin villages, and (sometimes) hotels give a discount card for free travel in a region or city.

Here is some more information on costs. https://www.myswissalps.com/hotels/budget

http://www.myswissalps.com/pl antrip/doityourself/sa vemoney

You might also be interested in Swiss democracy:

direct-democracy.geschichte-schweiz.ch/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Direct_democracy

This website has a lot of useful information:

http://www.swissinfo.ch/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Swissinfo

Demographics:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Demographics_of_Switze rland

http://www.cia.gov/the-world-factbook/countries/switzerland/

If you like to be out in the green countryside, this website is very helpful.

It does take a bit of work to get it to do what you want, but, it has a lot of information about various travel routes and places along them:

map.wanderland.ch/?lang=en&bgLayer=pk&sea son=summer&resolution= 500&E=2631750&N=118900 0

Slowpoke

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • The thread ‘Small mountain villages to visit near Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.