Wengen to Como/Bellagio – fewest train changes?

• monicatravel
    Participant
    2 posts
    20 September 2017 at 20:36:58 #813314

Hello,

We are a family of 4(2 adults and 2 children ages 11,14). We need to travel via Train from Wengen to Bellagio. I’m confused about a few items regarding this journey.

1) What kind of train pass would be good( we are starting in Zurich to Lucern to Wengen).

2) I can’t find a train that has less than 5 changes of train type and over 6 hours for this journey from Wengen to Bellagio. Am I looking at the wrong sites? To much hassle moving kids/ luggage

3) Would renting a car be a quicker and easier option? all the way to Lugano? return car there then take a bus from Lugano to Menaggio with a ferry to Bellagio? Another option?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 September 2017 at 2:39:39 #870016

Hello Monica and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You have picked a tricky route. Unfortunately from Wengen you need to make at least three train changes, irrespective of which way you go, before you even start heading in the right direction (ie South) to get to Italy.

To answer you questions:

1. That depends on what your other plans are whilst in Switzerland. It is hard to say without knowing more about your overall itinerary. You can work out what travel pass is best for you by looking at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass A Swiss Travel Pass will only work up to the border with Italy. That would mean Chiasso if you go via Luzern or Domodossola if you go via Spiez.

2. The least number of changes (4) you can do is from Wengen via Spiez to Milan then on to Varenna (see attached example). You can check the timetable at http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable From Varenna it is a 15 minute ferry to Ballagio. If you choose to go via Luzern and Lugano then you need to go to Como San Giovanni from where a 1 hour bus ride will get you to Bellagio.

3. You would need to check the costs for car rentals. Most companies charge a very high premium for one way journeys. You should also read http://www.myswissalps.com/ca r I think from memory the buses from Lugano to Menaggio are not all that regular.

Hope that helps.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 September 2017 at 7:08:54 #870017

Hi Monica,

Depending on your budget, the car rental is quite an expensive option.

Now for the trains: I’d consider the Wengen to Interlaken Ost one leg of the journey, even if you have to change 1 time already (Lauterbrunnen). Nothing to do there, it’s the Swiss regional based train network.

Once arrived in Interlaken Ost, the best option (in fact, the fastest) is to take the IC towards Basel, change at Spiez onto the EC towards Milano Centrale, then take the RE_8 (italian regional train) towards Sondrio and get off it at Varenna (another 2 changes, as Rockoyster pointed above). So this is the “only four train changes” option. And the fastest one, at the same time. From Varenna, here’s the ferry timetable to Bellagio:

http://www.navigazionelaghi.i t/c_download/NLC_TRAGH ETTO%20E2017.pdf

They’re one each 40 minutes or so, up to 22.50 late evening, so no stress there.

Any other choice, you have to switch at least 5-6 times, be it through Zuerich/Luzern or the tunnels to Domodossola. Up to you to choose the best option that suits the whole family.

Have a safe trip.

Daniel

• The thread ‘Wengen to Como/Bellagio – fewest train changes?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.