Stanserhorn day trip from Zurich

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2017 at 10:51:06 #812045

Hi Everyone,
    I thought I would make a quick trip report on my recent visit to the Stanserhorn the other day (late May).

I traveled from Zurich to Stanserhorn via Luzern.
    45 minutes direct train to Luzern. Then an easy 10-minute connection time at Luzern train station and about 15/20 minutes to Stans.
    From the Stans train station you have about a 5-7 minute walk across town (well-signed) to your first stop to board the funicular.

We arrived on a holiday Thursday (with very good weather!) at about 10am and there was no line up at all! On busy days they sell you a 5chf boarding pass for a specific time so you can wander the town a bit if there are long lines (this boarding pass can be used as a voucher at the restaurant or souvenir shop).

The Funicular takes you on about a 10 minute trip up the mountain where you switch to the “Cabrio” gondola; which has access to the roof for you to enjoy an ‘open-air’ ride to the top (about 1900 meters).

At the top, there is a large cafeteria-style restaurant with plenty of indoor and outdoor seating.
    We enjoyed a nice lunch at the top with some amazing views of nearby mountains (you can see all the big mountains of Switzerland from here if it isn’t too cloudy) and also Lake Luzern (Vierwaldstättersee).

We walked up to the peak (less than 10 minutes from the Gondola station) and enjoyed the views and took pictures. There are some nice walking trails around the top (short and very long) and you can hike up or down the mountain if you like! (5 hours estimated hike up and it is very steep).

All in all we spent about 2 or 2.5 hours at the top with lunch before heading to Luzern for an hour (it was 30 degrees that day) for ice cream on the lake, before heading back to Zurich.

It was a great trip and a nice, easy alternative to the more popular nearby mountains of Pilatus, Titlis and Rigi.

Pictures are attached – on a good day you can see the Eiger, Jungfraujoch and many others. Mt. Pilatus (pic “Pano2001”) is very close to Stanserhorn.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    30 May 2017 at 19:49:50 #864211

Hi Lucas-

Great pictures. I agree with your comment about what you can see up there. It really lets you se a lot of the region and the mountain chains. Your pictures show it, too.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 0:26:45 #864212

Hi Lucas

We planned this trip last summer but on arriving at talstation there were long queues and a lady selling these boarding passes was directing everyone to join the line – earliest ascent available to us was in an hour and a half! We didn’t fancy spending all that time waiting in line in the heat – no-one else was going for a wander just joining the queue so we assumed if we didn’t line up we would not be able to board at scheduled time as others would have got in line ahead of us. So we abandoned the idea and went off elsewhere! Sad because it was on our “haven’t done this yet” list!

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 1:29:39 #864213

Hi Lucas,

Loved your trip report and photos, especially the panorama shots!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:02:13 #864214

Hi Maggie,

I’m sure the tourists were paranoid about losing their spot as well (and maybe didn’t get explanations in English?) 🙂

You should have been ok for a wander and return later but now you have a new place to visit next time!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:02:35 #864215

Thanks Alpenrose!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 9:04:30 #864216

Yes, I wasn’t expecting to see all those mountains from there so it was a nice surprise!

I’m guessing a similar view from Pilatus is possible as well? I haven’t been there but a Swiss friend who has been living in Canada for 20 years went a few weeks ago and thought the cogwheel train itself was worth the trip.

Annika
    7103 posts
    31 May 2017 at 12:57:27 #864217

Hi Lucas,

Thanks for your report! Stanserhorn is great viewing point indeed. How did you like the Cabrio Open-Air gondola? I haven’t experienced it myself yet. It’s on my “must do list”, just like Maggie’s. Also thanks for sharing our beautiful pictures!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    31 May 2017 at 13:11:05 #864218

Hi Lucas –

from the forum.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 14:38:19 #864219

It was a pretty unique experience! Apparently there is something similar in Canada as well – but they only let you on the roof on the way up and not down – have no idea why.

It sounds like the gondola was refitted to have people on the roof and not designed like that in the first place – which doesn’t sound as…..good? haha

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 May 2017 at 16:14:59 #864220

Hi Lucas,

Great pics. After a heavy duty morning at the Swiss Museum of Transport this morning we caught the Luzern to Engelberg Express. Thought we might try Stanserhorn but when we got to Stans it was covered in cloud so we just continued on the Engelberg and returned. Very scenic roundtrip courtesy of the Swiss Travel Pass.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    31 May 2017 at 17:51:00 #864221

A question – in the area just before you enter the long tunnel that leads to Engelberg there are a series of small “sheds” which look as though they form the base stations for small cable cars. Are these private cable cars. They are situated out in farmland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 June 2017 at 3:02:03 #864222

>> A question – in the area just before you enter the long tunnel that leads to Engelberg there are a series of small “sheds” which look as though they form the base stations for small cable cars. Are these private cable cars. They are situated out in farmland.

There are a number of other cable cars etc in the area. Perhaps that’s what you saw. Some of them are described as “Buiräbähnli”, small alpine cable cars commonly used by local farmers. Apparently hikers can use them.

http://www.engelberg.ch/en/ca ble-cars/

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 16:56:26 #864223

wow. beautiful pictures. I cant seem to get off of this forum. lol

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 17:53:39 #864224

No worries. We’re happy to have you! 🙂

Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    10 May 2018 at 19:40:24 #864225

Hi Lucas,

I don’t know whether I can ask this question here or not. But while going through the forum I came to know about this place n after seeing the pictures posted by you it looks like a nice idea. Additional bonus is that it is xovered under Swiss pass. We are in Lucerne right now; finished My Rigi & Mt Titlis, yesterday & today. Planning to go to Pilatus tomorrow morning. I wanted to know will it be a good idea to visit this place in the late afternoon? Is it doable in few hours? The time table days from May 5th onwards the gondola will run till 10 pm. But no one here in our hotel seems to know clearly. Any additional information would be of great help.

Thanks in advance,

Shruti.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 May 2018 at 21:09:33 #864226

The SBB timetable might help.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

It looks like 45 minutes from Luzern to the top of Stanserhorn.

Twice per hour.

You should have plenty of time, but, try to go to Pilatus early, just to be safe.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 May 2018 at 3:20:37 #864227

Hi Shruti,

Thursday, Friday and Saturday the cable car runs to 10pm, the rest of the week it is 5pm. 🙂

https://www.stanserhor n.ch/en/travel/timetab le/

Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 May 2018 at 20:56:29 #864228

Hi Lucas & Slowpoke,

Thanks for the replies. We had been to Stanserhorn yesterday & the place is beautiful. The open cable car experience was very unique & very different from all the other cable car rides that I did in SwotSwitzer. The view from the peak were stunning & the best part was that the crowd was very thin when compared to the other famous peaks. The complete trip took 3 n a half hours from Lucerne. We did it in the evening after finishing the Pilatus trip n taking a short break. Overall a great experience. 🙂

Shruti.

Shrutihegde
    Participant
    13 posts
    12 May 2018 at 20:59:17 #864229

It’s Switzerland. Sorry for the typo.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 1:35:49 #864230

Awesome,

Glad you had a good time!

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • The thread ‘Stanserhorn day trip from Zurich’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.