Stargazing near Zurich, Interlaken or Luzern?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2018 at 11:34:43 #816110

Thank you in advance !

we will arriving around august 18, staying in Zurich, interlaken and luzern. Please advice what place would be great for stargazing ? Also wondering if there are converatory in that area ? Thanks NJfam.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7104 posts
    20 May 2018 at 18:44:24 #885872

Hi NJfam! If you want to enjoy the skies at night you should look for fairly remote places, to avoid light pollution from bigger cities like Zurich. You might consider spending a night at one of the mountain tops near Lucerne, such as Pilatus or Rigi. Please find some more ideas for hotels in the mountains at myswissalps.com/hotels /mountaintops.

I haven’t visited any observatories myself, but I know of this one. There seem to be guided tours, during night time as well. Les Pleiades might be a bit foo far off from your base towns. Another famous observatory is the one at Sphinx up at Jungfraujoch. Guests can’t spend the night there though.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    21 May 2018 at 14:30:01 #885873

Hi,

If you are in the Fribourg area (not far from Interlaken) on a Friday evening, visits are free at the Observatoire d'Épendes, about a 5 minute drive from the giratoire (round-about) in Marly, just south of Fribourg. I attach a map (courtesy of Swisstopo) showing its location (tip of red arrow) less than fifteen minutes south of Fribourg. Their website is in French, German, and English.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:55:24 #885874

Thank you very much !

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 May 2018 at 18:55:46 #885875

Thank you very much !

• The thread ‘Stargazing near Zurich, Interlaken or Luzern?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.