Staying in Zweisimmen in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 1:36:31 #810798

Dear friends,

I am thinking of using Zweisimmen as a base to travel between Montreux , Gstadd, Jungfraujoch in April for 10 days. Anyone has any idea about Zweisimmen? Is there much place for hiking around Zweisimmen? We don’t drive so we will be using the train mainly. Thanks.

Joannes

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 February 2017 at 6:57:55 #858963

Hi Joannes,

I’ve stayed in Zweisimmen for about 10 days a couple of years ago. It was late April, early May. Even though the higher hiking trails are inaccessible in spring throughout Switzerland, there is still plenty left to explore. We had a really good time and did all our day trips by train and bus.

You’ll find some ideas on myswissalps.com/simmen valley/activities, but I admit we need to list more options on that page. The waterfalls near Lenk, for example. We also enjoyed hiking to Gsteig after a visit to Glacier 3000. Quite a simple valley walk, but pleasant. Zweisimmen itself is not a major tourist attraction, but a good transport hub for that region (trains in 3 directions and a gondola, but that one might be closed in spring). It will be pretty quiet in April.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 February 2017 at 20:01:04 #858964

Zweisimmen is at 947 meters.

Probably some snow on the trails in erly April. Much less so in late April.

When do you go?

Slowepoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 1:59:39 #858965

Hi Arno, Thanks for the information. Is there a tourist office at Zweisimmen?

Joannes

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 February 2017 at 2:01:42 #858966

Hi Slowpoke, We plan to arrive on 15th April. I have thought of staying in Interlaken.

Arno
    15484 posts
    14 February 2017 at 7:03:02 #858967

You’re welcome! There was a tourist office on the main street: Thunstrasse 8. I’m not sure if it’s still there. You can check with the main regional tourist office: http://www.gstaad.ch.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 February 2017 at 14:33:31 #858968

Hi Joannes-

Even in late April, if you go up to Wengen at around 1275 meters, you’ll find a lot of snow. The cableway from Wengen up to Männlichen does not start to run until May 25th, and the wonderful trail from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg doesn’t usually open till about mid-June. Too much snow.

Lauterbrunnen at 970 meters doesn’t really get wide open trails until late April or early May. The deep valley cuts off the sun.

Interlaken, at around 570 meters, will be more Spring-like.

Lake boats on the Thunersee have a limited schedule until late May, I recall. Boats on Lake Brienz don’t run in the Winter. Not sure when they start up….might be in April or May.

Montreux is warmer…lots of sun.

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

Great train ride down that way, from about Montbovon onward.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Staying in Zweisimmen in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.