Swiss Travel Pass Centovalli Express and to Brig

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2017 at 19:55:27 #812704

Hello

Just want to verify my Swiss Travel Pass will cover the following trip on 1/09/2017. Centovalli Express from Locarno to Domodossola, and then boarding another train onto Brig.

Also, if a station has baggage hours listed but nothing else (locker availability, storing fees for suitcases), I’m assumming that means I can stow my suitcases for a few hours at a fee. Is this safe to assume?

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 3:24:38 #867232

Hi traveler000,

>> Just want to verify my Swiss Travel Pass will cover the following trip on 1/09/2017. Centovalli Express from Locarno to Domodossola, and then boarding another train onto Brig.

Yes, that’s right. If your Centovalli train has panoramic windows, the conductor will collect a small surcharge on board: CHF 1.50 or 1,50 Euro. The departure board mentions “supplemento” for the panoramic trains.

Another option for getting from Domodossola to Brig is to take the PostBus over the Simplon Pass. This is a very scenic journey and takes 1 hour 48 minutes. The train is faster of course, because it goes through the Simplon Tunnel, missing the scenery. Both train and bus are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

If you are interested in considering the PostBus trip, you can see a description and some photos in my post titled Saas-Fee to Locarno on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-late-august-to-mid-october-2016

>> Also, if a station has baggage hours listed but nothing else (locker availability, storing fees for suitcases), I’m assumming that means I can stow my suitcases for a few hours at a fee. Is this safe to assume?

Maybe 🙂 What station exactly are you referring to?

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 July 2017 at 16:31:37 #867233

Hi Alpenrose

Bus to Brig sounds awesome but I can’t find it on SBB. There is a bus going towards Iselle that takes only 55 min (not 1 hr and 45 min). My date is 01/09/2017 around 1-4 pm.

lm looking for lockers in Stein am Rhein on 27/08/2017.

i would like to use express luggage service from St Moritz to Tirano on 31/08/2017. Can I drop off luggage that morning in St Moritz and pick it up later in the day in Tirano or does it need to be dropped off the evening before?

Thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 July 2017 at 0:21:59 #867234

Hi traveler000,

>> Bus to Brig sounds awesome but I can’t find it on SBB. There is a bus going towards Iselle that takes only 55 min (not 1 hr and 45 min). My date is 01/09/2017 around 1-4 pm.

Avoid the bus to Iselle!

There is one connection that day that might suit you:

Depart Locarno on Centovalli 12:50

Arrive Domodossola 14:36

Depart Domodossola on PostBus 631 14:50

Arrive Brig 16:31

(See attached timetable screen shot)

To get this connection, you need to input the following into the timetable (use advanced search):

To: Brig

Via: Domodossola (I)

Via: Simplon Dorf, Post

>> lm looking for lockers in Stein am Rhein on 27/08/2017.

There are 12 small lockers available for CHF 4. The size is 24.8 cm x 42.0 cm x 75.0 cm. Perhaps you could look for a bigger station in the area to leave your luggage if those lockers are too small. As for baggage services, 27 August is a Sunday. According to the SBB website, baggage services at Stein am Rhein are only open Monday to Friday.

>> i would like to use express luggage service from St Moritz to Tirano on 31/08/2017.

Unfortunately, the Express Luggage service is not available to Tirano. For the full list of stations that participate in the Express Luggage service, see here:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/en/pdf/en_bahnhof -services/en_dienstleis tungen/en_gepaeck/Stat ionen_Reisegepaeck_Exp ress_EN.pdf

Alpenrose

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2017 at 10:01:50 #867235

Hi traveleroo-

Alpenrose gave you the answers.

If you need to look further for other stations, In general, you can find information about baggage services on the SBB website, by finding a station (under Stations and Services, and, after you have the page for that station, look in two places ….”Baggage” and, further down the page ‘Equipment and Mobility….”

Her is the link for Stein am Rhein:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/int ernet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof.6139.html

Schaffhausen has more facilities:

http://www.sbb.ch/content/int ernet/sbb/en/bahnhof-services/bahnhoefe/bah nhof-schaffhausen.html

To find baggage ofice hours, click on the icon with the umbrella and a tag. The hours for “Lost and Found” and “Left Luggage” are the same. Confusing, for sure.

Further down the page under “Equipment and Mobility, you can find 27 “large” and 60 “small” lockers.

The new website configuration for ease of use on smartphones has not got all the fine details worked out yet. Finding that information is not intuitive, for me, at least.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    24 July 2017 at 10:10:23 #867236

Hi Slowpoke.

You wrote: The hours for “Lost and Found” and “Left Luggage” are the same.

That is quite confusing, hilarious and a very handy hint all at the same time. 😇

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 July 2017 at 10:19:57 #867237

<<“Hi Slowpoke. You wrote: The hours for “Lost and Found” and “Left Luggage” are the same. That is quite confusing, hilarious and a very handy hint all at the same time. 😇”>>

I had to write to the SBB to find out how to get the hours for the Left Luggage Office. They pointed me to that icon, and offered esentially the explanation that I wrote.

I found it puzzling, but, perhaps logical. The icon could be better.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass Centovalli Express and to Brig’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.