Swiss Half Fare Card for Zurich and Liechtenstein

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 14:20:33 #813075

Hi

We are family of 4 (son age 7 and daughter age 17) travelling for couple of days in Zurich at end of this month. Based on research I find that the Swiss Half Fare card is the best option for us to buy specific tickets whilst we are there. My query is – do I need to buy one Half Fare card for all of us or should I buy separate for each of us?

As additional query – my wife will stay on for few more days and can the Half Fare card be used for train journeys to Lichtenstein as well?

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 August 2017 at 17:03:12 #868950

Hi jkbalaji and welcome to MySwissAlps!

So you and your wife as well as your oldest child will need to buy a Swiss Half Fare Card. You can then get the free Swiss Family Card that covers your youngest child (totally free travel everywhere).

The easiest option for you would be to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card online before you travel. This way it is emailed to your for printing at home (and you have an electronic back-up) and it is ready to use as soon as you enter Switzerland. The pass is valid in Liechtenstein as well yes – you can see a map of where the Swiss Half Fare Card covers here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 6:31:30 #868951

Hi Lucas

Thanks for the clarification. Another query. Can’t I book a Swiss Travel Pass online via SBB website. When I try to book, it tells me that the pass will be delivered to me by post.

Regards, JK

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 August 2017 at 6:40:24 #868952

Hi JK,

Once you fill in your address details you will be offered an on-line delivery option. You should then receive a PDF via email within a few days. You can print this at home. Best to print a few copies so you have backup in case you lose one.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 August 2017 at 7:59:01 #868953

Hi JK, yes, just as Rockoyster says you can do the online delivery option. The SBB website is the first option on my link above to buy your Swiss Half Fare Card.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 5:12:17 #868954

>> can the Half Fare card be used for train journeys to Lichtenstein as well?

No, it can’t be used for train journeys beyond the Swiss border, only for the PostAuto bus routes shown as yellow lines on the attached screen shot.

International trains coming from Switzerland don’t stop at any stations in Liechtenstein in any case. Trains that do stop in Liechtenstein are regional trains run by the ÖBB (Austrian Railways), and ÖBB fares apply.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 August 2017 at 6:49:37 #868955

Yes, that’s true, but you will get a partial discount on the train to Liechtenstein from Zurich (it’s just a discount on the Swiss portion of the trip as far as Sargans).

But you can’t use the Swiss Half Fare Card on trips within Liechtenstein that aren’t on a Postbus.

Lucas

• The thread ‘Swiss Half Fare Card for Zurich and Liechtenstein’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.