Swiss Pass extension ticket?

• Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    21 November 2017 at 15:45:20 #813710

This popped up yesterday on my SBB app. I have a Swiss Pass account (bought the half fare card) but I’m don’t know what an “Extension Ticket” is?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 November 2017 at 17:38:23 #872197

Hi Fritzrab,

You used to be able to store in the app whichever zones you had a monthly (for example) pass for. So if I had a pass for the 2 downtown Zurich zones I could easily buy an extension ticket if I was going outside those zones (as it recognized I had a pass already that covered part of the trip).

You can’t do that now. You can click on the screen as well to get more details on the notification.

I was under the assumption that only Swiss residents could get a Swiss Pass – I think you just mean an account on the SBB app?

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    21 November 2017 at 19:29:58 #872198

Thanks for the info. By the way, there is a Swiss Half Fare card for non-residents. It is 120 CHF per month.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 November 2017 at 21:15:45 #872199

Indeed http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard

When you said “ I have a Swiss Pass account (bought the half fare card) “ do you mean the Swiss resident’s half fare card? Are you a Swiss resident?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    21 November 2017 at 21:47:09 #872200

Ahoy Lucas,

Just out of interest I tried to see if I could buy a domestic half-fare card from Australia.

Got the attached warning message. Does this mean I can buy one if I fill out an order form? Unfortunately clicking on the order form link throws up an error repeatedly.

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    21 November 2017 at 22:01:19 #872201

I don’t know about Australia. I live in the US and had no problem purchasing the Swiss Half-Fare card for non-residents, which was sent to me in minutes via my email. Very easy!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 0:40:00 #872202

>> I have a Swiss Pass account (bought the half fare card) but I’m don’t know what an “Extension Ticket” is?

An extension ticket, as Lucas has mentioned, is a ticket that extends the validity of a ticket you have already bought. I don’t think it would be relevant to a Swiss Half Fare Card, as that will get you a 50% discount everywhere, even to the Jungfraujoch.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 0:49:07 #872203

>> I was under the assumption that only Swiss residents could get a Swiss Pass – I think you just mean an account on the SBB app?

The SBB has thrown a little spanner into the works with the use of the term SwissPass!

Even those of us who don’t live in Switzerland and are not eligible to have an actual SwissPass can now have a SwissPass account to buy tickets in the SBB Mobile app!

As an account holder with the SBB Ticket Shop, I received the following email recently, and now have a SwissPass account:

In the next few weeks, we will be switching our ticket buying feature on the SBB Mobile smartphone app over to the futureproof SwissPass login. In future, this single login will give you access to a wide range of offers from numerous Swiss public transport online shops – and you only need to remember one password.

The SwissPass login is free of charge and you don’t need a SwissPass card. (my emphasis)

From November 2017, you will only be able to log in to buy tickets on the SBB Mobile smartphone app with a SwissPass login.

So why not create your personal SwissPass login right away?

» Find out how easy it is to create your SwissPass login now.

Do you already have a SwissPass login? If so, you can link it to your existing login (your username: XXXXX) in the SBB Ticket Shop now to enable you to continue to access your settings and valid tickets after the switchover.

» Find out how to link your existing logins now.

By the way, you can of course also visit SBB.ch/en/login for answers to the most frequently asked questions about the switchover and the benefits of the SwissPass login.

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 November 2017 at 3:07:53 #872204

I think I might Pass on any further questions on this topic.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 8:59:20 #872205

Buying the Swiss Half Fare Card should be no problem for you or any non-Swiss.
    but not the Half Fare TravelCard which is for residents only (valid for 1 year and a little bit more expensive).

Previous to the changes on the SBB app (and naming issues now! haha) you could only get a Swisspass if you are a resident and then load onto that a Half Fare Travelcard.

Now with the name changes it seems you can get yourself a SwissPass account on the SBB website or App.
    Can’t hurt to have the account of course but not needed for most tourists I would think (unless you are planning to travel here regularly).

Glad you are all set for your trip! All the best.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 9:10:16 #872206

News to me about being able to buy the half fare travel card as a non-Swiss (or non-bordering country).
    Interesting about the idea that it says you could though (even with error message). I’ll touch base with SBB this week and let you know!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 November 2017 at 9:13:47 #872207

Hi Lucas,

I already emailed them but I suspect it is all just a wild goose chase triggered by some loose terminology.

Attached is what happens in Australia if there is a dispute on this sort of thing.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 November 2017 at 9:18:41 #872208

. . . . as you can see I’m on a mission to crack my 1000th post before Christmas!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 November 2017 at 9:48:14 #872209

Haha. I’m on holidays for a couple weeks in December – so you’ll get there if you want to!

No fighting birds here (nice pic!) Is that your view from home? Are you oceanfront or lakefront?

Fritzrab
    Participant
    45 posts
    22 November 2017 at 18:34:08 #872210

The Swiss Half Fare card info specifically says “This pass is only available to non-residents of Switzerland or the Principality of Liechtenstein.” See below:

The Half Fare Card allows unlimited purchase of train, bus, boat and some cable car tickets at half price* within the one month validity. The Swiss Half-Fare Card is especially beneficial to motorists.

This pass is only available to non-residents of Switzerland or the Principality of Liechtenstein.

* Over short distances (because of minimum fare), on urban public transport systems, on reduced tickets or for some combined offers with additional services, the discount with a Half-Fare travelcard may be less than 50%.

Prices

Swiss Half Fare Card CHF 120.00

Subject to change

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 November 2017 at 2:09:18 #872211

<<” . . . as you can see I’m on a mission to crack my 1000th post before Christmas!”>>

Once you have reached that quantitative milestone, will you graduate to adding quality to that quantity?

😉

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 November 2017 at 3:40:19 #872212

That will depend to a large extent on the quality of the questions. But thanks for the opportunity to register another “click”, cobber. 🤠

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 November 2017 at 20:18:54 #872213

Hi Lucas,

(Note to Fritzrab – what follows has nothing to do with the tourist Swiss Half-fare Card!)

(Note to Slowpoke – an attempt to improve my quality to quantity quotient)

You wrote “News to me about being able to buy the half fare travel card as a non-Swiss (or non-bordering country). Interesting about the idea that it says you could though (even with error message)

Well I was subsequently able to download the “order form” so emailed SBB to ask if in fact I could buy a Half-fare Card as a non-resident.

I now have a lengthy and very thorough email response which in summary says “yes you can”.

To quote from the response . . .

“If you’re a first time customer without an existing SBB customer number an online travelcard order is only possible, if during the automated process, the Webshop can verify your First and Last Name, as well as Date of Birth with a valid government issued photo ID and the respective countries have provided a verification process of some sorts.

Currently the following countries provide the technological means to do so: Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Liechtenstein, Switzerland (my emphasis in order to highlight ah ha moment)

If you have an ID or passport from a different country, the SwissPass Half Fare travelcard may be purchased only using these 2 options:

1) By post mail service: order form (including a copy of a valid government issued photo ID, as well a physical photo) and your handwritten original signature. It’s the same which is attached to this email.

2) Directly at any staffed SBB railway station ticket counter (payment in cash, Reka Checks or by credit card).

Notes:

For legal reasons we require your original handwritten signature, thus can’t accept email orders or the likes.

If during the purchase/order, the postal address of the contract partner is not in one of the above mentioned countries, the automatic renewal is deactivated by default and can’t be overridden and no SwissPass card is issued.”

Their final recommendation was . . . .

“My advice, if you’d like to have a Half Fare travelcard on the SwissPass, buy it directly at one of our train station ticket counters. All it takes is about 3 minutes.

That way there is no paper work, you just order, sign the contract, pay and are good to go right away.

It also allows you to upload the photo comfortably digitally, have any other questions you might have answered and also set up SBB Mobile for an easy to use, convenient travel experience.”

You live and learn.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 November 2017 at 20:27:12 #872214

Hi Rockoyster –

I am a resident of the USA and have had a Halb-tax for about 12-15 years.

I just renewed to the new credit card type in September. Now,it is a one year renewal. Previously, I bought 3 year renewals, to save a few CHF. If you want to know how I did it, you can get another click.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2017 at 7:27:23 #872215

ok well there you go. 🙂 Saves a lot of money for those who will be traveling for more than one month (at a time or within a year). I guess it acts as a discount for frequent travelers here.
    I would guess that isn’t too many people though.

If you are in the country for less than 1 month you will save money and time by buying the tourist Swiss Half Fare Card.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 November 2017 at 7:28:05 #872216

I thought I remember reading you have a Swiss address you use to order it?

• The thread ‘Swiss Pass extension ticket?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10720 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.