4 posts
    18 May 2016 at 6:14:51 #809235

Here’s our itinerary for Switzerland.

Day 1 – Travel from Zurich Airport to Wengen

Day 2 – Go to either Schilthorn or Jungfrau

Day 3 – Go to Lucerne and back

Day 4 – Go to either Schilthorn or Jungfrau

Day 5 – Go from Wengen to Florence

It seems like buying half fare card and 9 o’clock passes will be the way to go. What do you suggest?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 6:53:36 #852203

Welcome to MySwissAlps nnjajodia!

A Swiss Half Fare Card is a good idea. You can print it at home so it will be ready to use and you only need to get a discounted ticket from the machine at the airport.

I would not buy the 9 o’clock passes as they cost CHF 58 and you won’t be spending that much on regular discounted tickets. Remember that such passes do not get you to Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn for free. Those trips are still discounted.

So what you need is:

1. Swiss Half Fare Card. To print it, go to http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of that list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) so you can print it at home.
    2. A discounted ticket Zurich Airport – Wengen, to be purchased from the machine.
    3. A discounted ticket Wengen – Domodossola, to be purchased at any train station.
    4. A regular ticket Domodossola – Florence, to be purchased from any of the sites listed here.
    5. Tickets for day trips can be purchased on the spot.
    nnjajodia
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 May 2016 at 6:57:24 #852204

Thank you, Arno.

Should I consider buying the Swiss Transfer Combi?

Another question regarding travel to Italy: Will 19 minutes be sufficient to transfer at Milan station?

Regards,

Neeraj

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 7:12:38 #852205

Hi Neeraj,

The Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi costs about the same (in all CHF 2 or 3 more). The advantage is that it includes your incoming and outgoing trip, so you don’t need to buy any ticket at the airport. The disadvantage is that it cannot be printed at home. If your trip is not within a week that is no problem though. Please see here for purchase options and further details. Do select the Swiss Transfer Ticket Combi under “Rail product” and click “Show results”.

Yes, 19 minutes is plenty of time to transfer in Milan.

nnjajodia
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 May 2016 at 7:31:53 #852206

thank you, Arno.

Do you think I will benefit from buying Eurorail Italy pass?

I will be going to Florence from Domodossala, then next day going from Florence to Venice and back. Finally from Florence to Rome on the third day.

Arno
    15471 posts
    18 May 2016 at 8:33:51 #852207

Hi Neeraj,

Point to point tickets in Italy are, on average, not very expensive. You would have to compare ticket prices to the pass price of $184 for 3 days. I think the tickets will be cheaper, but you need to check:

nnjajodia
    Participant
    4 posts
    18 May 2016 at 23:41:37 #852208

Thank you, Arno.

Currently, I bought HAlf Fare Card for Switzerland and just a point to point ticket from Domodossola to Milan as I heard that I may miss the connection to Florence if the train is late.

I have 2-3 hours in Zurich on Day 1 morning. I will be staying near the airport. Do you have any recommendations for things to do there?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 May 2016 at 5:55:21 #852209

>> I have 2-3 hours in Zurich on Day 1 morning. I will be staying near the airport. Do you have any recommendations for things to do there?

Hi nnjajodia,

Something to consider would be to get the train or tram in to the centre of Zürich, walk through the Niederdorf area of the old city down to Bürkliplatz and catch a boat for a short round trip on the Zürichsee (Lake Zürich).

Start the walk at the tram stop called “Central”. Tram #10 from the airport stops here, but Central is also close to Zürich Hauptbahnhof (main station) if you come in by train.

From Central, walk along Niederdorfstrasse. This is a narrow pedestrian street with interesting shops, restaurants and cafes. Further along, it becomes Stüssihofstatt and then Marktgasse and then Münstergasse, but you basically keep walking straight ahead.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/niederdorf.html

When you get to the Grossmünster (church with twin towers), cross the bridge over the River Limmat and turn left down Stadthausquai in front of the Fraumünster church. Then go right in Quaibrücke to the wharf at Bürkliplatz to catch the boat (see attached map).

If you have time, visiting the Grossmünster and the Fraumünster Kirche is well worth doing.

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/grossmuenster-zuerich.html

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/fraumuenster.html

Take a “Short Round Trip” cruise from the wharf at Bürkliplatz. This will take about an hour and a half.

http://www.zsg.ch/en/short-round-trips-from-zurich.html

After the cruise, you can get Tram #11 (travelling in the direction of Zürich, Auzelg) from Bürkliplatz to Zürich Hauptbahnof (4 stops, 6 minutes) to catch the train to Wengen. The tram travels down Bahnhofstrasse, a famous (and expensive) shopping street.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ba hnhofstrasse

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass options Zurich – Wengen – Florence’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.