Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 9:46:52 #815557

Hi friends

Myself Dr Manish Juneja a cardiologist from India

I would be travelling to Switzerland from 25may2018 to 29may 2018 i.e 4 nights. My itinerary would be Zurich to Interlaken, stay in Winderswill for 2 nights, then from Interlaken to Lucerne, stay in Lucerne for 2 nights, then back to zurich on 29th.

From Interlaken and Lucerne we would be travelling to the respective mountains (Jungfrough and Titlis)

I was wondering whether buying 2nd class swiss pass is worth or i should buy a half fare card? what do you all suggest?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 April 2018 at 11:00:04 #883366

Hello Dr Manish and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Whether one Pass or another (or any) is good for you depends entirely on your itinerary.

The official advice is to read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math.

However for a 4 day visit I think that is a bit of a chore. Just consider a Swiss Half Fare Card costs you CHF240 before you save a cent. The 4-day Swiss Travel Pass costs CHF270 and you rarely have to worry about buying a ticket. Just hop on public transport and go.

At the end of the 4 days your trip Lucerne to Zurich is only CHF 30.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 April 2018 at 12:38:00 #883367

Thank you for your feedback rockoyster

I saw swiss half rate card on the website at 120 CHF

Screenshot attached

If this is true then whats your take. Still will you advice for swiss pass

Arno
    15471 posts
    27 April 2018 at 15:04:58 #883368

Hello Dr Manish,

I’m not very familiar with the website on that screenshot, but the price is correct (find recommend sites including the official SBB site here: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard/price).

Rockoyster meant that buying the Swiss Half Fare Card is just to get started. On top of that you’ll have to buy discounted tickets for at least CHF 120, so a total of CHF 240. Otherwise you won’t save money compared to regular tickets of CHF 240.

In your case with the expensive Jungfraujoch ride included you will for sure save money. But the 4-day Swiss Travel Pass might be just as good or better, and in any case more convenient: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass. Doing the math as explained in Rockoyster’s link will reveal what’s the best deal price wise.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass or Swiss Half Fare Card?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.