Swiss Travel Pass vs. Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 18:51:26 #815860

Hello,

We will be in Switzerland from July 29th to Aug 4th and plan to cover Golden Pass from Montreaux to Interlaken and then stay 3 nights in Interlaken and 3 nights in Lucern. In Interlaken we are planning to do Jungfrau, , cruise on Lake Thun and day trip to Bern. In Lucern we will go to Mt. Titlis, Basel and then visit various attractions in Lucern. I did the calculation for Point to Point ticket as well as 8 day Travel Pass vs. Half Fare Card. I also referred to the spreadsheet in the forum. According to my calculation Half Fare card is proving to be MORE ECONOMICAL / CHEAPER. Am I missing anything or doing some calculation incorrectly ? I am attaching my spreadsheet with calculation.

Can you confirm that Half Fare Card is the best option for my itinerary.

Thanks

Kris

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 May 2018 at 22:31:49 #884756

Looks about right based on your itinerary.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 1:49:34 #884757

It can definitely be the case that the Swiss Half Fare Card is the best option for your itinerary – one of the rail passes has to be. 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:09:25 #884758

Thanks Lucas and rockoyster.

I will wait a little while to see if any promotion comes up for Swiss Pass before I buy it. Any idea how early I can buy the train tickets if I go for half fare card ? I think I was checking for July 30 and it says that “Your date of travel is not within the advance booking period”.

Thanks

Kris

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:32:21 #884759

If your train doesn’t require reservations (only panoramic trains require them) then you can buy tickets online when you like (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare/price) or at the station before boarding the train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:39:26 #884760

Lucas,

i have already bought reservation for Golden pass train for July 29 @3.44 pm from Montreaux to Interlaken. Do i still have to buy train ticket in advance or can i buy it the same day if i have Half Fare card already bought ??

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 2:44:20 #884761

Same day purchase is fine if you already have the reservation. Tickets don’t sell out – only seat reservations.

• The thread ‘Swiss Travel Pass vs. Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.