Tellskapelle – how long is the walk?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2017 at 12:34:44 #810567

Hello. We were thinking of taking a boat from Fluelen to Weggis. The 12 pm boat from Fluelen stops at Tellsplatte. We were hoping to have time to walk to Tellskapelle and catch another boat on to Weggis. But it doesn’t appear that there is another boat that would stop by there for a number of hours. So…we were wondering about arriving at Fluelen 11:44am, taking a taxi (5 minutes google says) as close to Tellskapelle as we could get. Walking down to it then along the shore…looks like there is a path…to Tells platte and meeting the boat which leaves at 12:16.

Is this reasonable? Or does the boat get close enough (looks like it goes right by it) so that we would see most of what could be seen? Would we miss alot of gorgeous views from the boat if we did that one part by taxi? (train takes far too long and walking is over an hour).

Thanks for your input,

OHGeologist

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 January 2017 at 23:38:23 #858031

Hi Katie-

Seems as though you might have seen this?

http://www.wanderland.ch/de/r outen/route/etappe-01448.html

I’m trying to figure out what the objective of that walk would be. If it’s views, I’ll need to spend a little time with my photos to see if can help with that.

Certainly, my memory is that the boat gives you the same views at the walk would. Or, very close. That is because the lake is rather narrow there.

Still on the road; I’ll take another look when I have a more chance to look over the details and get my memory back in gear, early next week.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2017 at 3:37:43 #858032

Thanks, Slowpoke. We just wanted feet on the ground to see the chapel- up close if possible. The location looked so beautiful. I did hear back from your friends with the hotel in Rigi..they are not sure if they will be open that day or not. So we will wait and see. I know the 5 months until we go will move quickly. .I just wish time would slow down while we are there so we could soak it all in. Happy trails. As always..thanks for the maps..it looks like a very short 5 minute walk from the chapel to where you would meet the boat…but whether the rushing about would be worth it..rather than just taking it all in from the boat… Different subject: Have you done Gemmi Pass? OhGeologist

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    15 January 2017 at 23:06:12 #858033

Gemmi Pass.

Have not done it. It is an old trade route and a great hike. Can’t help with details. For some reason, my friends tend to start at the Kandersteg end.

Did you check on Switzerland Mobility? I’m sure it would be there. Let us know if you cannot find it.

Tellskapelle –

I’ve not stopped there. I have always thought it was a special location and worth a visit in its own right, but never fit it into our plans.

Your time plan is reasonable, but getting the taxi could be a delay for you. That could make it a bit rushed. I don’t recall a taxi line at Flüelen station, and we have been through there many times. Were not looking for one, however.

Judging the appeal of scenery is an inaccurate and potentially trouble some practice.

My opinion is that what you can see from the shore is not much different from what you can see from the boat. If you were taking schoolkids for a history lesson, you would want to spend time there.

I have done my walking on the other side, as noted previously in :

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/the-swiss-path-and-southern-lake-lucerne

We did walk from Morschach to Sisikon one time, well above the lake, and the views generally did not include the lake. I looked back at those, and nothing causes me to want to post the few that I took.

The view from Brunnen is worth some time, in my opinion.

I have attached three images of the eastern shoreline, taken from more or less above Bauen, and included a full res crop of the Tellskapelle location. Images 1, 2, and 3 overlap. The include Sisikon, Tellskappelle and go as far south as Flüelen in the haze. I considered building a panorama, but would have had to do too much work in Photoshop to resize the images.

A photo from the pier at Brunnen shows the eastern shore line somewhat; there is one profile recognizable in several images.

The entire southern end of the lake is sort of visible in one image in the Swiss Path link I noted above.

Two other attached images picked up on the internet may be helpful.

Personally, I’d stay on the boat, look at the scenery from the boat, and include Tellskapelle in another trip, after I had a look at what is there. And, it is considerably less rushed to do it that way. But, at the level of detail we are discussing, my opinion may not be relevant.

I also found some more images taken from the Bergsonne, which I shall post at another time.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    17 January 2017 at 2:03:46 #858034

H Katie-

<<“We were thinking of taking a boat from Fluelen to Weggis.”>>

Forgot to mention…it is Flüelen, not Fluelen.

Quite different pronunciation. My Swiss friends tell me that I still do not have it quite right ;-(

If you cannot do umlauts, the alternative is “Flueelen.” A bit awkward to spell.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Tellskapelle – how long is the walk?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.