Timetable for Lake Thun cruise in early April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2020 at 14:33:31 #825375

Hi,

I am planning to take Lake Thun Cruise on 1st of April 2020. I found time table for Lake Thun Cruise at this URL:

http://www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrplaene/schiff/fahrplan-schifffahrt-2020.pdf?la=en&vs=1

Not all the the information is in English and hence I am unable to fully understand it, however, the Lake Thun Cruise time table for 1st of April is in English. As per the time table, there is only one daily cruise from Thun to Inerlaken west before 4th April!

As per my understanding (based on the time table), on 1st of April the boat only runs from Hünibach (see) to Neuhaus (Unterseen) (see). There will be a bus from Thun (11:32 a.m.) to Hünibach (see) . From Hünibach (see) the only scheduled cruise will depart at 11:51 am. Apparently, I do not want to miss it.

To catch a bus from Thun at 11:32 am, I must reach Thun before 11:32 am. I will be travelling from Beatenberg Hubel to Thun. If I start my journey from Beatenberg, Hubel at 10:22 am (via interlaken west) I can reach at Thun station at 11:32 and will certainly miss the only scheduled cruise (through a replacement bus connection to Hünibach (see)).

If I start my journey from Beatenberg, Hubel at 10:32 am. via Beatenbucht (Beatenbergbahn), I can reach at Thun, Bahnhof at 11:39 am and certainly will miss the only scheduled lake thun cruise. On the same trip from beatenberg, Hubel to Thun, I will be going (via) from Beatenbucht to Thun, Bahnhof through bus 21.

on this route, there are three bus stops Hünibach, Stationsstrasse (11:28), Hünibach, Chartreuse (11:30) and Hünibach, Seematte (11:31) . That seems like a good option to get off and take Lake Thun cruise from Hünibach (see) scheduled to depart at 11:51 am .

I have couple questions.

(1) Out of 3 bus stops, at which bus stop at Hünibach should I get off? How far is the boat dock from the bus stop ? The Lake Thun cruise will depart from Hünibach (see) at 11:51 am.

(2) Can I purchase Lake Thun Cruise ticket from Hünibach (see) ? or Do I have to go to Thun to purchase a cruise ticket and hence reach Thun boat dock before 11:32 am. Then take (replacement) bus that will take me to Hünibach (see) for 11:51 am only scheduled cruise time.

Thank you.

GpOz

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    29 February 2020 at 16:30:46 #930966

Hi GpOz,

You might want to think about taking the boat from Oberhofen am Thunersee instead of Hünibach, if you don’t want to stress and miss your cruise. Your route could be as follows:

10.32 am Bus from Beatenberg, Hubel to Beatenberg Funicular
    11.08 am Bus No. 21 from Beaterberg Funicular base station (direction Thun)
    11.24 am Get off at Oberhofen am Thunersee, Dorf
    short walk to the boat dock (500 m)
    The boat leaves from the Oberhofen dock at 12.03
    It is the same boat that leaves from Hünibach at 11.51

Maybe this is a better option?

Be sure to read this: http://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun/gettingthere

Regarrding ticket purchase, in spring, summer and autumn, all tickets and combined tickets can be purchased aboard the boats and at the boat landing stages in Thun, Spiez and Interlaken West. You can also buy your tickets in advanced and online here: bls.trekksoft.com/en_GB

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 February 2020 at 19:46:13 #930967

Hi GpOz,

To answer your specific questions.

1. Get off the bus at Hünibach, Chartreuse. Google maps shows it is 290m from the dock (see attached). The SBB timetable will tell you the nearest stop to your destination which in this case is Hünibach (See). You certainly don’t need to go all the way to Thun to join the “cruise”.

2. As Anna says you can buy the tickets on board or you can buy using the SBB mobile app or website. Using advance search set the mode of transport to “Ship”.

Lake Thun boats are really just another form of public transport.

Pro Tip: Get yourself the Google Translate app. 😉

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2020 at 23:33:18 #930968

Anna and Rockoyster , thank you for your reply. Indeed very helpful and answers my questions.

Rockoyster, I will go with your suggestion to get off the bus at Hünibach, Chartreuse. Less walk from bus stop to boat dock and will allow me to stay a little bit longer to enjoy Lake Thun Cruise.

One more question, this is regarding buying tickets with swiss half fare card. I know there are a lot of information in forum threads and online. However, there is still one thing that I still find personally confusing.

I will be in Swiss for 9 days. 3 days in Zurich, 3 in beatenberg, hubel and 3 in Geneva. I will be taking multiple trips on some days and my journey involves to use mix of train, bus, funicular and boat. Initially it seems that swiss travel pass is a better choice (based on online suggestions). However, i decided to think explore other options too, i.e. swiss half fare card.

As I know places I will be travelling during my stay, using sbb.ch site, i try to find cost of travel for each anticipated journey (which will include multiple connections in some cases including changing from train to bus, bus to funicular etc.) then calculated cost of tickets (using half fare card) . Also, considered cost of lake cruises (Lake Zurich, Lake Lucerne, Lake Thun and Lake Brianz etc.).

In my case, it seems that swiss half fare card will be little cheaper than swiss travel pass (for 8 days), however, swiss travel card does not require to buy tickets and hence no need to spend time at ticket windows to buy tickets and in case I change my travel plan, i.e. take different route or change time of travel, i.e. take early or late train/bus, the swiss travel pass will be a good option.

What I want to know is if I buy swiss half fare card (as it will be little cheaper in my case),

(1) Do I have to buy a ticket before each journey from ticket window at train station or bus stop?

(2) Can I buy the tickets online (using swiss half fare card) in advance to save some time?

(3) If my journey (from point A to point B) involves change of transport, i.e. from train to bus, bus to fanicular, bus to boat, can I still buy a single ticket that covers entire journey in advance or do I have to buy separate ticket when mode of transport changes?

(4) What about return ticket, can it be bought when buying ticket for the journey from point A to point B where return ticket will be from point B to point A. In my case the return journey form point B to point A may be through a different route and hence may involve different modes of transport.

(5) Finally, with swiss half fare card, can I buy return ticket from point A to point B that works for whole day and allows to take different route?

Thank you for reading the post with a lots of questions.

GpOz

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    1 March 2020 at 1:53:41 #930969

Hi GpOz,

1. Not necessarily. My first visit we used the Swiss Travel Pass. Our most recent visit (last September) we used the Swiss Half-fare Card. I bought all tickets using the SBB mobile app. See http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/checking-train-timetables. We had a Salt SIM which provided internet access wherever we went for CHF2/day effectively.

2. Yes.

3. Tickets apply to routes so for example from Hotel to funicular to bus to Hünibach you can buy a single ticket if the SBB app/site offers you that route (it does). I can’t figure out how you could force it to include the boat because the boat is always going to be much slower than the bus. You have to buy the boat separately.

4. Return tickets apply to the route. You have to go and return the same way.

5. No you can’t take a different route. Pricing is based on the route not A to B.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 8:51:10 #930970

Hello GpOz,

Thanks for your questions! It would be helpful if you download the SBB app on your smart phone. All the information is updated real time with potential platform changes, etc:

You would purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card once and it’s valid for one month. You will need to purchase a ticket prior to each journey either on the SBB app or by touch screen ticket machine found in each train station or in person at the SBB train stations in the major cities.

You may also purchase the Swiss Half Fare Card from the below link:

You can purchase the tickets online with the SBB app, it’s saves you time and it’s quick. Or try http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/switzerlandhalffare.

Normally you would purchase one ticket prior to the journey and it covers all the transfers. When you are at the SBB connection timetable it will ask you to enter. “From” and “To” and “Via” When you enter all the transfer stops in the corresponding windows, the ticket purchase should cover all the transfers.

When you purchase a return ticket you have to go the route you purchased the journey for. Any changes in routes you will need to purchase a ticket for it. The Swiss Half Fare Card simply does what it reads….”half fare card” If you would like the flexibility of changing routes along with the discounts, consider the Saver Day Pass. You have unlimited travel throughout Switzerland on the date you choose. You may have considerable savings along with the Swiss Half Fare Card. However, it’s better you purchase the Saver Day Pass well in advance because they do sell out. Please read the links for your reference. I have attached a link to purchase the Saver Day Pass in case that is what you are interested in:

I have included links about wifi to provide internet services while you travel in Switzerland:

From there look into http://www.travelerswifi.com

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 9:41:30 #930971

Thank you for your informative replies rockoyster and Suzanne. After reading your replies and going through all the links that you guys provided, I could figure out best option for myself.

For me, the best option is to buy Half fare card with SBB mobile app. This will give me best value of money as well as convenience.

Again, thank you very much for your help and guidance. I really appreciate it.

GpOz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 10:18:26 #930972

Hello GpOz,

I am happy to know that you’re coming along with your travel plans in Switzerland and have figured out the best option for your train travels.

You will find the SBB mobile app practical and you’ll definitely use it throughout your time here.

I wish you all the best during your time in Switzerland!

Suzanne

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 11:06:01 #930973

Thanks Suzanne.

I have one more question. I hope someone answer it.

Is it possible to travel from beatenberg (station) to Niederhorn summit via cable car/funicular/train during early April. I cannot find any mode of transport from beatenberg to Niederhorn on 1st or 2nd April 2020 on sbb.ch.

GpOz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2020 at 15:19:35 #930974

Hello GpOz,

You can go from Beatenberg to Niederhorn by cable car. Unfortunately the SBB timetable cannot let you do a search that far ahead. There are cable cars running every 10 mins, and it takes 18 mins to reach Niederhorn.

Please take a look at this Beatenberg to Niederhorn search box link to get some interesting reads!

Good luck!

Suzanne

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2020 at 2:19:45 #930976

Thank you for your reply suzanne and rockoyster.

I hope that cable car from Beatenberg to Niederhorn will be in operational during April 1st and 2nd 2020.

GpOz

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 March 2020 at 2:44:30 #930977

Sorry GpOz, I didn’t;t look at the timetable carefully enough.

It says from 12 March to 20 April “Beatenberg – Niederhorn (cable car) is closed due to revision.”

My bad. 😞

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2020 at 3:05:47 #930978

Is there any alternative mode of transport (bus/train/funicular) that runs between Beatenberg to Niederhorn when cable car is closed?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    2 March 2020 at 5:01:14 #930979

I don’t believe so. It’s a peak, hence the cable car. 😞

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 March 2020 at 7:46:45 #930980

Hello,

In case others are reading this thread who will be in the Lac Thoune area later this year, I suggest that they consider the Niesen (2362 metres), which is pretty well directly across the lake (to the SW actually) from the Niederhorn (1950 metres). I mention the Niesen because I very rarely see it mentioned on this forum. It opens for the 2020 season on April 18 (sorry, too late for GpOz) and stays open until November 15. There are two stages here, where you take one funicular from the base station in Mülenen to Schwandegg and then in the same building transfer to another funicular that goes up to the top, Niesen Kulm. The full price of a return ticket is CHF 59 and there is a “hiking” ticket for CHF 48. With the hiking ticket you walk one of the four stages (you choose which one). I was there two years ago, and we bought the hiking ticket, having decided to walk down from the top (Niesen Kulm) to the mid-station at Schwandegg. All I can say is that people who are not in good shape should not do this. By the way, both the prices I have mentioned are reduced by 50% for people with a pass or half price card, so then the prices go down to CHF 29.50 and CHF 24.00. We came to Mülenen in cars and were not entitled to a reduction, and so we decided to go for the hiking ticket. If I had to do it over, I would have coughed up the extra CHF 11 ! If I ever do the walk again, I’ll make sure I have a walking pole (or two). The nickname for the Niesen is ‘the Swiss Pyramid‘.

• The thread ‘Timetable for Lake Thun cruise in early April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.