Timetable help for planning Golden Pass route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2017 at 0:23:50 #813570

Hello!

Sorry for asking a possibly stupid question, I’m not sure how to use the time table.

I’m trying to take the Golden Pass Line from Luzerne to Interlaken and then to Zweisimmen. I put my Departure location as Luzerne and my destination as Zweisimmen via Meiringen and Zweisimmen. The schedule that comes up is 5 hours, this seems a bit too long and was wondering if I did something wrong..

Date of departure is Nov 7th and time I set was 10:00AM.

If it’s really going to be this long I think I’ll only be able to take 1 leg of the Golden Pass Panoramic Line 🙁

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    27 October 2017 at 2:37:45 #871277

Hi Dude,

I see 3:52 or 4:14. The problem is construction on the rail line at that time. There is a bus introduced into the trip which slows things down.

See bottom of attached.

Fastest time when construction not happening is 3:12 when searching the timetable.

Leg 1 of Golden Pass route is Luzern to Interlaken, leg 2 is Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen and leg 3 is Zweisimmen to Montreux. You don’t say how many legs you want to do but you can get to Zweisimmen via Bern in 2:19 if you plan to do leg 3 (which is probably the most scenic). Between Luzern and Interlaken is very nice but between Interlaken and Zweisimmen probably just regular (ie georgeous) Swiss scenery.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2017 at 4:21:14 #871278

Hi rockoyster!

Thanks for replying! It looks like I’ll only have time for the first leg (Luzern to Interlaken), but the construction seems to be putting a stop to that as well…

Do you have a suggestion for me for at least seeing part of the route? Perhaps I can just take the train to Brünig-Hasliberg (since it looks like construction is between here and Brienz) and then just stay there for a bit and then take the route back?

Right now I’m thinking we’ll take the train from Zurich (where I’m staying) to Luzerne early, maybe 8:30AM or 9:00AM, and then stay there for a few hours enjoying the sights. Then take the train over to Brunig. Spend an hour or 2 there and then take it back to Luzern and then take the next train back to Zurich. Do you think that’ll be a little worth it given how little time I have?

Thanks again!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    28 October 2017 at 6:04:01 #871279

Hi Dude,

Difficult for me to say as I don’t know what other things you have seen in Switzerland or how long your are there.

There is plenty to do in and around Luzern but if you want to check out some of the Golden Pass Line then I would suggest you follow the route in the attached rather than just going to Brunig-Hasliberg and going back the way you came.

I don’t know what there is to do or see at Brunig-Hasliberg. Not much I would guess.

The bus will connect you seamlessly to a train at Brienz. The train ride alongside Lakes Brienz and Thun are very nice and the whole trip from Luzern back to Zurich will take you less than 4 and a half hours.

You could also consider doing the circuit the other way round (ie Zurich – Bern – Interlaken Ost – Luzern – Zurich) then you will be more flexible with your time in Luzern.

If you haven’t been into the Jungfrau region then you could always take a detour up to Wengen (for example) from Interlaken Ost. There is some serious scenery up that way. If you did that you might have to skip a couple of hours sight seeing in Luzern. Depends how much stamina you and your mom have.

Arno
    15471 posts
    28 October 2017 at 7:13:29 #871280

From my perspective Brünig-Hasliberg is mainly a start/end point for hikes, but I also recall a restaurant, and there is an antiques shop too: http://www.bruenigsepp.ch. But if you can make it to Wengen as Rockoyster suggests, you’ll see much more of the region.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2017 at 1:32:28 #871281

Hello Rockoyster and Arno!

Thanks for the information and the responses both of you! Really appreciate it.

I think I’m going to take Rockoyster’s suggest and go from Zurich – Bern – Interlaken OST – Luzern – Zurich. I’ll arrive in Bern at 9:58, maybe look around a little and then take the train to Interlaken at 10:34. Stay there to look around and grab some lunch. Take the train to Luzern at 14:04 and stay there for some sightseeing and dinner. Train back to Zurich at 20:35.

Since we’re on the topic, any suggestions for food in Interlaken and Luzern. Would love a place with a view that serves some local cuisine. We’re not really on a tight budget so anything is okay.

Thanks for any replies!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 October 2017 at 1:46:03 #871282

Hi Dude,

Sounds good. Interlaken isn’t all that interesting so if you are not planning to head into the mountains I wouldn’t spend too much time there.

At Luzern try http://www.rathausbrauerei.ch

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 October 2017 at 1:53:35 #871283

Hey Rockoyster,

Hm okay, maybe I’ll take take the earlier train to Luzern then (around 13:00). Still need to stop by to eat, but I think we’ll be able to enjoy any sights worth seeing that way.

The restaurant you suggested looks great! That’s definitely where I’m going for dinner.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 October 2017 at 2:11:35 #871284

Enjoy!

• The thread ‘Timetable help for planning Golden Pass route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.