Timetables Lake Lucerne boats

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 April 2016 at 23:01:18 #850704

Hi Shreya-

Try this link for lakeboats on the Vierwaldstättersee (Lake Lucerne).

http://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/ timetable-fares/timetable/

It may be clearer.

Watch out for seasonal changes in schedules.

To get from Luzern to Interlaken, the best way is to take the train.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

However, the best scenery near Interlaken is further south in the Lauterbrunnen Valley, at places such as Wengen Grindelwald, Mürren and thereabouts.

Much of that area has very different accessibility and services depending on the time of year when you go there. Weather, climate, and conditions on the ground are also highly dependent on altitude. Much less so near Luzern, but, still, an issue.

http://www.myswissalps.com/be sttimetovisit

When will you or your parents be there?

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 April 2016 at 8:35:41 #850705

Dear Slowpoke,

Just to confirm, does the time table show boat/coach bus timings as well or just train schedules?

My parents are coming this Sunday, April 17th until Wednesday April 20th. They land in Zurich around noon on Sunday and their flight is in the evening on Wedensday. I was thinking they can get to Lucerne on Sunday and explore the town. Monday, I was going to book them a dinner cruise in the evening so just wanted to see what can be planned during the day on Monday and Tuesday. I was thinking either a trip to Mt. Pilatus or Rigi one day so they can have the cogwheel train experience as well. And then if a trip to Interlaken is worth it, then plan that for a day. Are the places you mentioned Wengen and Grindelwald easily accesible from Lucerne?

Also, do you have any suggestions for things to see/do in Zurich near the airport if they want to spend Wedensday there?

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

Shreya

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 April 2016 at 12:09:41 #850706

The timetable shows all modes. It probably can be set to show only trains or only buses.

In April, the Jungfrau region is between seasons. It is actually late winter up there at the highest elevations, but spring on the valley floor.

Check the links I sent you .

Many, but not all services and hotels are closed. The scenic cograil from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and on to Grindelwald is running.

Check this map:

map.search.ch/?x=-23256m&y=-28416m&z=32

As for Wengen, etc. use the time table. If they have the time, they might enjoy a ride in from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen, then up to Wengen and return. Scenery. No guarantees about weather and visibility in in April, however.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 April 2016 at 8:33:00 #850707

Hi Shreya-

I forgot to mention that the lake boats on Lake Luzern have different schedules in different seasons.

Please check the seasonal offerings as noted by scrolling down the link i provided. In April, the schedule may be light. Since it still does not stay light long into the evening, a daytime cruise might be more rewarding.

And, it is not necessary to book ahead. Just buy tickets at the pier and get on board.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 9:20:07 #850708

Dear Slowpoke,

Thank you for clarifying regarding the seasonal timings. I’m still having trouble figuring out their trip to Rigi. The winter day card (even though the dates don’t cover April) that is mentioned here: http://www.rigi.ch/Travel-Information/Prices/Ind ividual-tickets-winter

Does that card cover the boat trip from Luzern to Vitznu, the cogwheel train up to Rigi, back down to Arth-Goldau and then train back to Luzern?

Thanks

Shreya

Annika
    7122 posts
    16 April 2016 at 13:13:05 #850709

Hi Shreya,

The Tell Pass may suit your plans. It includes transportation in the entire region, Rigi as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/ tellpass. More about Mount Rigi is here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ rigi.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 April 2016 at 15:24:08 #850710

Hi Shreya-

<<“Thank you for clarifying regarding the seasonal timings. I’m still having trouble figuring out their trip to Rigi”>>

In addition to the link that Arno gave you, which is likely to answer your questions, the Tourist Information Office in Luzern Main Station by the railhead for track #1 is invaluable. They really know their stuff.

Since the boat dock is a 3 minute walk from the railhead, right out the main front doors of the station and across the plaza, it can supplement what ever you learn ahead of time.

The critical timing will be to catch a boat early enough to do the trip. The boats have a more limited schedule than the trains.

See attached.

After that, all the connections will be “automatic” in that there will be a train available fairly frequently to go up the mountain, to come back down, and to go onward to Luzern from Arth Goldau. It is very likely that the train up from Vitznau will be scheduled to match the ararrival time of the boat. The boat landing and the train stop are only a minute or two apart.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 16:13:40 #850711

Dear Arno and Slowpoke,

Thanks for the fast response. Will the Tourist Information Office in Luzern sell the Summer Tell Pass? And is it open on Sundays? My parents arrive tomorrow and I’m wondering if it is best if they buy the pass there instead of buying it online. The only disadvantage is that the Tell Pass won’t cover their trip to and from Zurich.

Also, does the winter day card cover the full trip from Luzern to Rigi and back? http://www.rigi.ch/Travel-Information/Prices/Ind ividual-tickets-winter

Regards,

Shreya

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 April 2016 at 16:27:23 #850712

Hi Shreya-

I don’t know much about rail;passes….Arno or Annika are the experts.

My best guess is that the tourist office does not sell the various passes, although they are open on Sunday. The rail services are on the balcony over the railhead, which is where they would likely buy them if they buy in Luzern. 2 minutes from the tourist office. The tourist office can tell them where to buy tickets….

Absent better information atthis time, I’d suggest that when they land in Zürich that they should go to the train station across the street from arrivals (follow the signs) and look for the Travel Office to the left of the ticket counters.

(The luggage carts available free in the arrivals hall at Zürich Airport can go up and down escalators with luggage on them. or, there are elevators.)

Go in, take a number from the machine for the correct category of inquiry, sit down and wait a few minutes, then when the number shows up on the overhead screen, go to that position and ask questions, explain their travel needs, including the trip to Luzern and back, and take the recommendations there, and buy there. They can calculate the cheapest options.

( There are trains to Luzern every 30 minutes (one is direct, the other requires a change at Zürich main station.)

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 April 2016 at 17:08:20 #850713

If they arrive tomorrow it’s too late to buy online. They can try to buy the pass at the airport rail station. It does cover part of the ride to Lucerne. They can get a ticket for the non covered leg there as well.

• The thread ‘Timetables Lake Lucerne boats’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.