3 day trip to Lucerne: tips and comments

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 April 2018 at 20:24:56 #815180

Helloe everyone. It has been an incredible trip so far, thanks to all the sugestions from the expert of this awesome forum. Things that Ive learned:

• Migros is your best best for food. I wanted to try a typical suisse food and I was so disappointed with the quality, and it cost me 55Fr. I find that the street food like sausages are way better.
    • With your STP mount Titlis, Schilthorn and Pilatos are 50% off, I dont understad why I thought they were included and didnt have to pay anything. Among all those Ive done Pilatus and Titlis and the last one has been the best experience of my life, amazing views and surprisely the food is not THAT expensive and very good quality.
    • There isnt munch to do in lucerne (but I think all towns are like that), everyhing closes around 5- 6 pm, so I recomend you to get out early.
    • In these 3 days i was able to: go mount Rigi, take a boat on lake lucerne, mount Titlis (also theres a small cheese factlry near by), mount Pilatus, visit Bern and Thun and walk around lucerne.

Tomorrow we a heading off to Murren and the Montreux, I’ll keep you guys posted.

Oriana

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

shuchirumit
    Participant
    25 posts
    7 April 2018 at 2:46:27 #881223

Thanks for the tips. Its v helpful

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 7:06:43 #881224

Glad it sounds like you are having a good trip!

• Yes, Migros is a great inexpensive option for food!
    • Do note that Schilthorn is most definitely 100% free with the Swiss Travel Pass – I hope you didn’t pay for the trip? Pilatus and Titlis are indeed only discounted 50%.
    • Yes, most shops except a few larger ones will close by 6 typically.
    • Awesome! Looks like nice weather for the next week too!
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 17:57:13 #881225

Hi Lukas. Today we went to the Schilthorn and it was indeed covered 100%. So even better. The weather was amazing and food on top of Piz gloria on the revolving restaurnat was very nice and not that expensive.

• The hotel that we are staying is amazing, its called Panorama Alpina, and the view of my window is incredible and breakfast is included.
    • The hotel in Lucern was amazing as well, the location was across the train station and with an excelente breakfast buffet included.

I’ll attached some pics from today. If you have any questions let me know.

Thank you again for all the help from this great forum.

Oriana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 April 2018 at 20:30:55 #881226

Hello Oriana,

Your pics need to be less than 1Mb each in size otherwise they won’t load.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 20:50:33 #881227

Thanks rockoyster. I’ll try to do it. They look amazing.

BTW thank you for convincing me about not renting a car. Hehehe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 4:11:44 #881228

Hi Rockoyster

Thanks for posting whole of lots information. Could you please help with some specific information related to my trip. We (me and my wife and my kid ) will be traveling from Paris (23-june, departing at 6 AM) to Lucerne (arriving around 12.30 pm) . We planned to arrive in Lucerne on 23-june-2018 around 12.30 PM. On the same day from 2 pm to 7 pm we would like to visit Mount Pillatus. Could you please advice whether this plan would workout, Is it possible cover the Pillatus trip from afternoon till evening 7 pm.

And the next day 24-june-2018, early morning we would like to visit Mount Titlis (from 8 AM to 3 PM). And around 4 PM will take the Goldenpass line to Interlaken.

Best regards

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 5:16:04 #881229

Hi Jadesh.

That was exactly what I did when I arrived to lucerne. It is totally doable, however you have to take into consideration the weather. I was extremely lucky because it was sunny both days but if its cloudy or rainy I wouldn’t recomend going up.

I would suggest keeping that as a plan A and having a plan B in case the weather is not good.

The other thing that I noticed is that the mountains close early. Around 5 oclock so keep that in mind too.

Hooe this information helps. Im not an expert but I just did that itineray a couple of days ago.

Good luck!

Oriana

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 5:37:15 #881230

Hi Jadesh,

Oriana has answered your questions I think.

To make sure the timing of various trips will work for you make sure you check the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) to plan your travel. If you haven’t used it before it will pay to read the instructions at bit.ly/2IwxrEV before delving into the timetable. The timetable doesn’t only cover trains but boats and buses and cable cars as well.

It will tell you the last cable car from the top Pilatus back to Kriens departs at 17:30. The last cog-wheel descent to Alpnachstad is as 18:45. Read about how to get to and from Pilatus here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:06:03 #881231

Hi Oriana

Thank you so much for the suggestions and updating me about the mountain timings. You are doing great, I have been reading your travel tips, since couple of days. Yes, I agree, it all depends on the weather conditions. We are traveling summer June and I hope will get good weather. Do you think, I should change it to 2 night stay (ie, so that I will have 23rd half day, 24th full day and 25th Half a day). Currently I just make hotel reservation for 1 night only, which gave me two half days. Mainly I want to see Pilatus and Titlis, and If time permits Mount Rigis (for this one I am not sure, whether I will have enough time). Your advice is welcome.

Best Regards

jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:22:37 #881232

Hi Rockoyster

Thank you very much for the advice on train schedule (specially about last cable car and cog-wheel). Could you please let me know on Eurail pass. I purchased the 3-country select pass for 2nd class (covering France, Switzerland, Italy).

1). May I know, whether this Eurail pass covers the journey on goldenpass line from Lucerne to Interlaken ?, if yes, that’s good. And where I can make seat reservations only (on which website). Will I be able to pay for my E-tickets from here (Singapore) and receive the E-tickets for seat reservations only by email.

2). Is this Eurail pass be beneficial for me any part of the journey( cable car, dragon ride, cog-wheel, boat…) to Mount pilatus and Mount Titlis or any other attractions.

3). Do you think, I need to buy these packages from here , well in advance or Do you suggest, I can explore it individually after reaching Lucerne.

Your suggestions/advice are most welcome.

Best regards

jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:20:53 #881233

Hi Jadesh,

You can see the coverage areas for the Eurail Select Pass here to see what is or isn’t covered.
    Golden Pass tickets and/or reservations can be made here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:50:59 #881234

Hi Jadesh. I’m glad all this i formation helps.

I do recomend at least 2 nights, i find that mount Titlis takes quite a bit of the day because you have to travel to Engelbert and thats like a 1 hour ride, plus going up and spending time up there, then some time going down and the trip back to lucerne. We like getting there as soon as possible so we left lucerne at around 7:10 am. I think we were back at around 3 pm to lucerne and we had time to go up to half way to Mount Rigi, but honestly after going to Titlis the mount Rigi (only to half way) wasnt as impressive.

I will post more about my next town, Murren, absolutely gorgeous.

Cheers

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:56:03 #881235

By the way, I stayed at this hotel: hotel waldstätterhof luzern and the location is amabecause is right acrross the train station and breakfast was inckuded and it was excellent.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 April 2018 at 9:01:45 #881236

Hej !

<< Migros is your best best for food. >> If you can’t find a Migros you can always go into a Coop, which is just as good. Attached is their logo. You will see it everywhere.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 14:27:09 #881237

Dear Lucas

Thanks for the website links and information. I did went through these websites earlier and had confusion on the Eurail pass coverage, in the website it is mentioned that “Train from Montreux to Lucerne: free”. ( please see the attached screen shot from myswissalps page ) . But I am traveling other way, from Lucerne to Interlaken, so I would like to know whether this part of the journey (Lucerene to Interlaken) is covered by Eurail pass . I got into this confusion, since it is not mentioned Explicitly.

Can you please provide more information on this.

Regards

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 14:31:40 #881238

THank you Oriana,

Have fun, keep posting,

cheers

Jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 14:33:49 #881239

Hi Jadesh,

It’s part of the route Montreux – Lucerne, so it’s covered by your pass as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 2:02:21 #881240

Thank you Chantal.

Best regards

jadesh

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 2:40:16 #881241

Hi Everyone

Please help me by reviewing my following plan. I am traveling along with my wife & kid and planned to spend 5 night stay in switzerland and 1 night in Rome. Days are planned as follows. Let me know is that planned properly , or any changes are welcome. I purchased the 3 country select Eurail pass for France-Swtizerland-Italy.

17- 23 june_stay at Pris: I Will be attending work related conference in paris and of course will go around paris for these days.

23-June: @ 6.40 AM , Train from Paris to Lucerne and reach Lucerne around 12.00 Noon.

23-june_ Lucerne: From afternoon (1.30 PM to 6.30 PM) planned to visit Mount Pilatus

24-june_Full day in Lucerne: Trip to Mount Titlis, Any other excursion do you want t0 suggest !!

25-June: 8AM, Departing from Lucerne to Interlaken, by Goldenpass line

25-June_ Interlaken: @ 12 PM, Afternoon onwards ,Any other excursions do you want t0 suggest !!

26-June_Interlaken: Full day Trip to Jungfrau

27-June_Interlaken: Full day Trip to Schilthorn

28-June: @ 7.30 AM ,Take train from Interlaken to Rome and reach Rome by 2.00 PM

28-June_Rome: From afternoon on wards visit Rome colosseum and Roman forum

29-June_Rome: Visit Vatican city and sistine chapel And around 6 PM heading to airport take a flight to Singapore.

Your suggestions are most welcome.

Best Regards

Jadesh

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    10 April 2018 at 2:48:52 #881242

Hello,

I don’t quite understand why your trip is not a separate thread, but here goes anyway:

For June 24, I would suggest a boat ride on Lake Lucerne. http://www.luzern.com/en/boat -trips

For June 25 in the PM, I would suggest going up to the nearby Harder Kulm. http://www.interlaken.ch/en/e xcursion-harder-kulm.html

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 38 total)
  • The thread ‘3 day trip to Lucerne: tips and comments’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.