Train from Breisach, Germany to the Alps?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 February 2020 at 11:35:00 #825143

I will be on a river cruise in April and one of the last stops is Breisach. Is it possible to take a train from Breisach to the Alps? Maybe just to Thun or Interlaken? I don’t need the Glacier Express train tour…just want to see some of the Alps. Is a day trip possible?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    7 February 2020 at 11:53:50 #929700

Hi Jennhelms02,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes it is possible to make a day trip from Breisach to Interlaken/Thun. For tickets from Germany to Switzerland, have a look here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/germany

You can use the timetable to plan your journey: http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Be sure to read these too:

Regards,

Anna

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 February 2020 at 20:48:19 #929701

From Basel go to Lauterbrunnen via Interlaken. From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can easily visit Schiltorn (don’t miss The Thrill Walk at Birg) if you have time.

A Saver Day Pass would cover all your travel costs from Basel and back, apart from Mürren to Schilthorn. You will be amongst the Alps not just viewing from a distance.

If that is too much then go to Interlaken and visit Harder Kulm.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 0:46:18 #929702

But be careful because there is no train from Breisach

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 0:49:13 #929703

If you are reboarding the boat at Breisach I would not attempt this. It all depends on your boat schedule and what you are doing after Breisach.

Be careful because there is no train from Breisach, just a local bus, and this might not serve the river port in Breisach.

Breisach bus station to Interlaken takes about 4 hours with 3 changes so it is not all that easy if you are in unfamiliar territory

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 1:09:17 #929704

Thank you for the response! We will be going back to Breisach to reboard the ship. We are docked in Breisach until about 8-9pm but I wasn’t sure if there was a train from Breisach to interlaken or Thun. The train schedule is very confusing and this will be our first time in Europe.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2020 at 3:15:03 #929705

Hello,

Is “we” two people ? I ask this because in your initial post you used the word “I” twice.

Now, my next question is when does your ship arrive in Breisach, the night before your free day in Breisach ? I ask this as it would be good to know how many hours you actually have for your explorations. If you are able to disembark early in the morning, it would look like you have about 10 hours, is that correct ?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 February 2020 at 3:53:08 #929706

The DB timetable shows train connections from Breisach to Interlaken Ost in April. Change at Freiburg and Basel. It takes 3 hours 38 min each way. So I guess that rules out venturing too far into the Jungfrau Region. The train to Interlaken will stop at Thun. Harder Kulm opens 10 April so that’s a possibility if the timing works for you.

It looks like the boat docks are about a 15 minute walk from the station. I expect there is some other form of transport if you don’t want to walk.

Breisach is a 48 minute bus ride to Colmar which is probably where the rest of your boatload will head.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 February 2020 at 8:11:12 #929707

I suspect that Rockoyster is right about where many of the passengers from your ship will be heading. It is definitely worth a visit. Also, just over the Rhine from Breisach is an amazing place I’d be willing to bet they will also be seeing, Neuf-Brisach, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. I attach an aerial photo of this site.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 12:05:15 #929708

Says we can take a take a bus into the Black Forest passing through wine producing villages of Ihringen, Gottenheim and Bötzingen. After a photo stop, continue to the beautiful Hofgut Sternen hotel, a loyal keeper of Black Forest traditions. During your visit, you may choose your immersion into Black Forest culture: take a forest stroll, attend a demonstration of cuckoo clocks or glassblowing, or learn to make the decadent Black Forest Cake for which this region is known. After, you will return to your ship via Freiburg, a major university and ecclesiastical center. There is additional excursion options of Colmar in WWII Museums & Memorial or Medieval Village of Colmar. The ship is docked in every port from at least 6-7am until 10-11pm. Should have plenty of time to do a lot of sightseeing.

• The thread ‘Train from Breisach, Germany to the Alps?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.