Train from Lucerne to Bern & rail pass?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    11 April 2018 at 2:22:47 #880175

Hi Peterli,

I am hoping you can help me with our 1.5 days in Montreux. We only have a day and a half to spend in Montreux. You mentioned that there are a lot of nice places to see there but with such a short time, not sure what we can fit in our schedule other than the le Chateau de Chillon at Veytaux. You mentioned:

” No doubt you will want to go le Château de Chillon at Veytaux, and take the little train up to the nearby Rochers de Naye. Further afield, I would suggest a trip to Gruyères (c heese-making and a pedestrian-only cobblestone street leading up to the château) and Broc (Cailler chocolate). “

Can we do all of the above or that is too ambitious?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    11 April 2018 at 9:05:56 #880176

Hej !

At 5:01 on Mar 29 you outlined a revised and more complete itinerary. I am looking at it now and would like you to confirm that these parts of it are still what you are planning to do: Day 10 (May 15) Zermatt to Montreux, Day 11 (May 16) Montreux, Day 12 (May 17) Montreux to Geneva, and Day 13 (May 18) train from Geneva to Paris. Is this still what you have planned ?

I also have a few other questions. On May 15, when is your train from Zermatt to Montreux scheduled to arrive in Montreux ? Have you booked accommodations in Montreux for that night ? Have you booked accommodations for the next night (May 16) in Montreux ? When are you planning to go to Geneva on May 17 ? Have you already booked accommodation in Geneva for the night of May 17 ? When does your train to Paris depart from Geneva on May 18 ? Once I know the answers to all of the above questions I will be better able to give you some suggestions. It’s not much fun being in this area when it is raining so I hope you will have great weather. But there are indoor activities available and trains will keep you dry.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    11 April 2018 at 21:31:59 #880177

Hello Peterli,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes, that is still the plan:

Day 10 – May 15th Zermatt to Montreux – Scheduled to arrive in Montreux – Yes, we booked accommodations through May 16th.

Day 12 – May 17th – we leave Montreux to Geneva – Yes, accommodations booked for 1 night.

Our train departs Geneva to Paris at 9:30 AM on May 18th.

Really appreciate the time and effort you put into this.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:04:09 #880178

Hello again,

At what time will you be arriving in Montreux (train from Zermatt) on the 15th ?

When are you planning on going to Geneva on the 17th ? Any particular time ?

So it is two nights in Montreux and one night in Geneva. With such an early departure for Paris on the 17th, I can fully understand why you are staying the night of the 17th in Geneva.

As I see things, you have an unspecified remainder of a day (the 15th), a full day (the 16th), and a still unspecified portion of a day (the 17th) in Montreux ?

Is this correct ?

Things I am thinking of so far are the Château de Chillon, Gruyères (cheese), Broc (chocolat), and perhaps a lake cruise over to the French side of the lake (preferably Yvoire). What do you think ? Your full day and two partial days will go by very quickly so there is only so much that you can do.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    12 April 2018 at 1:48:54 #880179

Hello Peterli,

We plan to leave Zermatt early in the morning say at 7:30 (we have not booked our rail passes yet).

Yes, we have a morning departure from Montreux to Geneva on the 17th.

Yes, 2 nights (you are right, we only have 1.5 days including travel), and one night in Geneva.

Those are the places we are thinking of – Chateau de Chillon, Gruyeres, Broc and a cruise sound wonderful. These will do! Is Vevey that far from Montreux?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 April 2018 at 4:03:33 #880180

See the attached map, “Rivaz – Veytaux”. The scale at the bottom right shows you how close everything is. The train stations (gares) of Vevey and Montreux are just under 7 kilometres apart. From the Montreux gare to the Veytaux gare (where you get off to see the Château de Chillon), you will barely have enough time to sit down !

On this map you might also notice Chaplin’s World in Vevey, which could be of interest. http://www.chaplinsworld.com/ en

I am assuming that you plan to do Gruyères and Broc on your full day, the 16th.

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    12 April 2018 at 5:47:44 #880181

Thank you so much, Peterli. This helps a lot. We will do Gruyeres and Broc on our full day on the 16th. We will look into Chaplin’s World as it sounds interesting.

Would you recommend the Chocolate train?

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    12 April 2018 at 6:24:39 #880182

Regarding the Chocolate Train, I have not been on this so I honestly can’t say if I recommend it or not.

But I do hope you get some nice weather. You will enjoy walking the cobblestone streets in Gruyéres ! This video isn’t super, but it gives you an idea of the old village: youtu.be/JrBWMkrUPW0

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    12 April 2018 at 6:31:15 #880183

Just a note about the Chocolate Train . . . .

“The Chocolate Train runs again from 1 May. As a result of the construction works, guests are taking the bus in Montbovon. The bus takes them to Gruyères, to Broc and back again. This probably applies for the entire season until 31 October. “

Source : bit.ly/2JEzoRh

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    12 April 2018 at 21:37:50 #880184

Again, I cannot thank you enough for everything, Peterli. I really appreciate your time responding to all my inquiries.

Faye

MrsM19
    Participant
    29 posts
    12 April 2018 at 21:40:24 #880185

Thank you for the heads up, rockoyster! Appreciate you!

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • The thread ‘Train from Lucerne to Bern & rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.