Is train from Lucerne or Zurich to Chur scenic?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 September 2017 at 12:35:24 #813200

Hello, can you tell me if the route from Lucerne to Chur is more scenic than the route from Zurich to Chur? Having trouble deciding whether to go to Rhine falls, Schaffhausen, Stein am Rhine OR go to Lucerne for the day. Either way, we need to end up in Chur. Thanks for any help. Travelling there next week. This is a last minute idea.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7103 posts
    6 September 2017 at 14:53:16 #869520

Hi Stormy,

When heading from Lucerne to Chur some connections will have you travel via Zurich. The leg Lucerne-Zurich is pleasant but not spectacular, but the views certainly become scenic as you draw closer to Chur. There’s another slightly shorter route via Thalwil. A large part of it is the same as the route via Zurich, so I would say it doesn’t make much of a difference scenery wise. The timetable provides all options.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    7 September 2017 at 5:11:06 #869521

Hi Stormy,

As I understand it you will be starting from Zurich. So if you want scenic you could always go via Luzern and pick up the Glacier Express Route. See attached although this may have a few too many changes and take longer than you might prefer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2017 at 5:15:58 #869522

Thanks for your help. I think we will stick with leaving from Zurich and travelling to Chur.

• The thread ‘Is train from Lucerne or Zurich to Chur scenic?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.