Which village in the Jungfrau region is best?

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    7 April 2018 at 12:17:26 #815193

Arrive inZermatt on July l4th via Glaciar Express, plan to see Gornergrat or Matterhorn on day of l5th and then later afternoon on 15th take train to get to the Jungfraujoch area. In a post in February, I asked about best places to stay and it was suggested that Wengen or Murren would be extra special because they are car free versus Interlaken, however Lauterbrunnen or Grindewald are options too. Which of these four options would be best based on trains to get us to one of these locations? (Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald or Lauterbrunnen) with the hope (depending on weather) to see the Jungfraujoch on 16th.

Additionally we are thinking of seeing the Schilthorn on 17th in morning unless this is more of just the same thing as seeing the Jungfraujoch? Your thoughts?

We want to keep two -three days to see the vineyards so our trip isn’t all mountains.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 13:51:07 #881313

I think the consensus would still be Wengen or Mürren – Mürren being easier for Schilthorn and Wengen better for Jungfraujoch. Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald can work too (slightly bigger towns and neither are car-free if that is important for the experience).

They are also all somewhat close to eachother so timing-wise from Zermatt the differences won’t be huge. You’ll need to go through Lauterbrunnen first before getting to either Wengen (by train) or Murren (bus and cable car or cable car and train).

If you have the Swiss Travel Pass then Schilthorn is free and therefore worth the trip 😉 It would be Jungfraujoch that you should then maybe consider doing. 🙂

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    7 April 2018 at 16:44:25 #881314

When I go to search for rail options using myswissalps.com travel by train section I get this message? How do I find out what the train options there are for July l5th in mid to late afternoon?

We’re sorry!

We couldn’t find any results for your search.

Here are the most common reasons why this happens:

The tickets you’re looking for aren’t yet available for booking.

The tickets exist but we cannot yet offer them on our platform.

There are no trains that service this route.

Find out more

Secondly would it just be more convenient to stay in Lauterbrunnen if we have to go there anyway to get to Jungfraujoch? Is Lauterbrunnen the start point to get to Schilhorn too? Or how is Schilthorn accessed?

How much time does it take to visit Schilthorn?

We want to leave a few days for visiting the vineyards and head toward Geneva and we leave on the 20th…..

Here is our schedule so far:

Arrive 7-9-18 in early am…. 7/9 and 7/10 Schauffhausen, 7-11 Lucerne, 7-12/13 Lucern to Pontresina,(staying at Bernina Suot Hotel, 7/14 glacier express to zermatt, 7/15 morning to mid day see zermatt and then travel to Jungrau Region (pick a village to stay in), 7-16 See Jungfraujoch (hopefully good weather), 7/17 see Schilthorn and then head to vineyard areas toward Geneva……depart on 7-20.

Thank you in advance for your feedback….

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 19:11:02 #881315

Are you using the timetable link we have? That should give you all the routes you need on any dates until early December.

You can read about getting to Jungfraujoch here.

All trains to the Jungfraujoch depart from Kleine Scheidegg. Kleine Scheidegg can be reached via Interlaken – Zweilütschinen – Lauterbrunnen – Wengen; or via Interlaken – Zweilütschinen – Grindelwald.

How to get to Schilthorn is noted here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/schilthorn/getti ngthere
    All cable cars to the Schilthorn depart from the town of Mürren.

Mürren can be reached via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Grütschalp;
    or via Interlaken – Lauterbrunnen – Stechelberg. We recommend to go up via Stechelberg and go down via Grütschalp.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    8 April 2018 at 11:36:16 #881316

Basic timetable – the quickest routes between major towns

Use this timetable for the quickest train routes between popular destinations. Some routes may not be available.

Tip: you’ll get a 50% discount on train tickets for Switzerland if you buy a Swiss Half Fare Card. After clicking the Search button, click “Edit search”, go to “Choose your passengers”, and select “CFF SBB – Halbtax” for each passenger who has a Swiss Half Fare Card or is planning to buy one.

There are two timetables on the link I used the basic timetable shaded a blue color; not the one shaded red.Posted above what it said. Tried it again today and get the same message. Am I using the wrong table?

Mark
    Participant
    794 posts
    8 April 2018 at 12:35:15 #881317

Hi Charwinelover

In my opinion

Wengen and Murren have the best views and ambiance. Murren hardest to get to but best access to Schilthorn

Lauterbrunnen is most convenient for travel but have to walk down the valley for views. Good selection of hotels and restaurants

Grindelwald has good views and good access to Jungfraujoch and good selection of shops restaurants and hotels

Overall my vote is for Wengen but honestly I think you would be happy with any of them. Mark

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 14:57:23 #881318

Use the one on the right – SBB (Swiss railways) it is the official timetable – best for just schedule searches.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    9 April 2018 at 21:15:30 #881319

I have attached our tentative travel. Arriving on July 9th via Zurich and departing July 20 via Geneva. We are trying to determine if we should purchase a Swiss Travel Pass, Swiss Travel Pass Flex and/or if we need a Swiss Half Fare Card.

Our trip is 11 days….Should I buy the 8 day SwissTravel pass and buy swiss half fare card for the other 3… Or should I buy the l5 day Swiss Travel Pass…. Not sure yet we are doing on July l3th if we will need a train or haven’t finalized the 18th and 19th but we do fly out on the 20th out of Geneva

What is the advantage of selecting first class on trains.

Do I need the SwissTravel Pass to make a seat reservation on Glacier express. I understand I can’t make the Glacier Express reservation until 90 days prior so we if want to travel on 7-14 90 days prior would be 4-14 . Is it best to purchase the seat reservation on line and what time of day does this open up……

Or do I need to finalize my plans more before you can advise? If I can wait to buy the Swiss Travel Pass and don’t need it to make my Glacier Express reservations then there is no urgency in your answer.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 7:57:29 #881320

Hi charwinelove,

You should read “How to choose the best travel pass”. A clearly mapped out itinerary is the basis for deciding which pass (if any) suits. Based on your itinerary you need to do the sums based on the cost of all your planned trips on trains, boats, cable cars etc. The page has a spreadsheet to help you.

You can use the Swiss train timetable to work out the fares for any trip. When you go to “buy a ticket” the fare you see on the right hand side of the page will normally be the half-fare price. Double it to get full fare. With a Swiss Travel Pass it is free provided it is shown as free on the validity map which you can download here.

Read here more about 1st class vs 2nd class.

You can make online seat reservations for the Glacier Express without having the Swiss Travel Pass or any other pass. You can do that 90 days prior to departure.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    10 April 2018 at 10:27:00 #881321

09:15 AM ST MORITZ

05:10 PM ZERMATT

7h 55m

Train 903

Show onboard services

Total price for 4 seniors

1st class

Exchangeable and refundable, with conditions Fare details

Payment in USD

TOTAL PRICE FOR 4 SENIORS

$308

$77

Why in high season is the cost for a seat reservation on the Glacier Express showing $77 per person versus the CHF 43 which would be about $45 US…..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 15:46:42 #881322

Which website are you using?

I see CHF 56,- with the retailer HappyRail which is listed on our website here: http://www.myswissalps.com/gl acierexpress/packages

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    10 April 2018 at 17:17:45 #881323

Do travellers use Happy Rail so they can get a seat now versus waiting the 90 days prior when booking direct with Glacier Express and get the 43 CHF

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 18:15:47 #881324

I didn’t realize you can make reservations with HappyRail this far in advance, but you are right. So that might be a reason for the price difference (CHF 56,- vs CHF 43,-). Frankly speaking, I don’t know what other travelers do. I would say that you would be fine with the 90 days as well.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    10 April 2018 at 18:21:18 #881325

Thank you I wasn’t sure what to do because I don’t want to miss out on getting a seat reservation and it is a Saturday, July l4th fromSt. Moritz to Zermatt and I thought it might be busy as its high season…..appreciate you insight not to worry about that.

Rail Europe wants 77 CHF and Happy Rail 56 CHF versus the 43 CHF on glacier express and I need four seat reservations so it adds up.

I am assuming since they allow you to make reservations before the 90 days out that they have access to a database that gets them advanced (before 90 day) seat reservations. Wonder how many other travel/booking agencies have this same benefit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 19:06:15 #881326

I personally would spend the CHF 56,- just to be sure to have a seat. You can save money by picking up a picnic (and a bottle of wine) at the Coop / Migros.

Not sure how many other travel agencies do have this benefit.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 April 2018 at 23:20:46 #881327

>> Do travellers use Happy Rail so they can get a seat now versus waiting the 90 days prior when booking direct with Glacier Express and get the 43 CHF

My understanding is that Happy Rail will accept your request for a reservation now, and charge you, but they cannot actually make a reservation on your behalf until the Glacier Express reservation system opens 90 days before the travel date.

There was a post here recently about this, from someone who made such an “early” reservation – see the post from bogbozo dated Mar 14, 2018 – 10:12 PM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/gex-reservations-am-i-guaranteed-seats

One advantage of booking on the official Glacier Express site is that you get to choose your own seat/s. Many people have commented that they have not been able to do that with other retailers.

Alpenrose

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    11 April 2018 at 22:12:40 #881328

I plan on purchasing a Swiss Travel Pass.

I understand with the Swiss Travel Pass I get a discount of 50% on the Jungraujoch exercusion.

When looking at their booking options which one do I choose if I am staying in Lauterbraunnen and departing onthis excursion from their?

Do I also need seat reservation

How do I apply the 50% discount which I am eligible for using the swiss travel pass.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    11 April 2018 at 22:40:54 #881329

Does the website become available for booking seat reservtions on April l4th and 12:0l AM your time in Switzerland. Or can you tell me what date and time it does become available for a reservation for July l4th….

We are in Wisconsin and are on Central Standard Time. Thank you

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    11 April 2018 at 22:45:19 #881330

A ticket for Jungfraujoch from Wengen or Grindelwald will attract a discount of 25% with a Swiss Travel Pass. You don’t need a ticket to get to either of those start points.

Reservations are not necessary. You don’t need to book. In fact it is best not to buy tickets until you are sure the weather is going to co-operate. You want to be able to see the vista not the inside of dense cloud.

From Lauterbrunnen, Wengen is closest. You can start there and then come down via Grindelwald for a nice circuit. Or go the other way round. Use the Swiss Train Timetable (goo.gl/PXbqWw) to plan your travel. If you are not familiar with the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions at bit.ly/2IwxrEV.

For un-discounted price list see bit.ly/2J5H92u. See “Jungfraujoch und zurück nach Grindelwald” for Wengen to Jungfraujoch to Grindelwald.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 April 2018 at 23:42:47 #881331

>> Or can you tell me what date and time it does become available for a reservation for July l4th….

If you are using the official Glacier Express website, it will be based on Swiss time. So use a world time converter to see what time that is where you live.

Count back 90 calendar days from your travel date, time it for just after midnight Swiss time and try a booking.

If it doesn’t work, keep trying at intervals over the following 24 hours until it does.

When you get to the screen where you have to fill in the personal details for each individual traveller, there is a box with a drop-down list of reductions passengers might be entitled to. If you will have a Swiss Travel Pass when you travel (whether or not you have already bought it), select that, and the fare will reduce to the cost of the reservation only. In July, this will be CHF 43 for a long journey or CHF 33 for a short journey per person.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 April 2018 at 0:04:36 #881332

>> Jungraujoch exercusion … Do I also need seat reservation

As rockoyster mentioned, you do not need a reservation.

However, July is peak period for the Jungfraujoch, and it will be extremely busy. If I were to do that trip in July, I think I would make a reservation. You would most likely get up there eventually without a reservation, especially if you started out early in the day, but might have to wait a long time in a queue.

Reservations are only available for the final sector of the trip, from Kleine Scheidegg to the Jungfraujoch, and must be made for a return journey. This then commits you to a particular train both up and back. A return reservation will cost CHF 10, and is not for a particular seat, but for the “reserved seats” carriage, which is separate from the carriages for people without reservations. There will be signs to direct you to the appropriate carriages depending on whether or not you have a reservation.

Reservations – once made – are not refundable and can’t be exchanged for another date or time. So don’t buy it any earlier than the day before, after checking the weather forecast and satisfying yourself that the weather will be clear. You can get reservations from any staffed railway station in the Jungfrau Region, e.g. Wengen, Grindelwald.

Weather can be checked here:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/live/weather/#jungf raujoch

Alpenrose

Viewing 20 replies - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • The thread ‘Which village in the Jungfrau region is best?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.