Timetable to Bernina Suot via Uznach & Samedan

• charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    4 July 2018 at 16:19:58 #817072

The last connection says Samedan Bus #701 are the buses located at the train station. We have 5 minutes from our train arrival to connect to the bus.

Would there be any better option than the one I posted here?

Train: Luzern/Uznach, Uznach/Sargans, Sargans,Landquardt, Landquart/Samedan, Samedan/Bernina Suot Departure time 12:39 arrive 17:18…..4 hr. 42 minutes.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 0:44:20 #890201

You shouldn’t need to use a bus from Samedan on that itinerary. Suggest check your online timetable query again. But note that the computer is giving you the fastest service, which for your itinerary is indeed the direct bus from Samedan.

Rest assured that connecting Swiss buses always leave from right by the station

To see trains available from Samedan to Bernina Suot (change at Pontresina), see this PDF:

http://www.fahrplanfelder.ch/ fileadmin/fap_pdf_fiel ds/2018/950.pdf

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    5 July 2018 at 9:46:46 #890202

With the above itinerary we would leave lucerne at 12:39 with three stops before we would arrive 16:57 at Samedan. The next train is at 17:48, bus is at 17:02 and would arrive Bernina Suot at 17:18. (Trains I saw depart for Pontresina to Bernina Suot at 15:48, 16:48 and 17:48…bus’s run 15:02 and 17:02.

12:39 lucerne/14:15 Uznauch

l4:18 Uznauch (tight – 3 minutes connection – WOW) arrve 14:58 Sargarns

15:03 Sargarns arrive 15:11 Landquardt

15:20 Lanquardt arrive Samedan 16:57

Bus 701 Depart Samedan 17:02 arrive Bernina Suot 17:18.

Does anyone see any other options…..I think this is our fastest option/route…..

1960man – appreciate your attachment, however, my depth of knowledge of the train system is inadequate to understand your attachment. Thank you.

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    5 July 2018 at 17:49:34 #890203

Help on final leg of itinerary….

With the above itinerary we would leave lucerne at 12:39 with three stops before we would arrive 16:57 at Samedan. The next train is at 17:48, bus is at 17:02 and would arrive Bernina Suot at 17:18. (Trains I saw depart for Pontresina to Bernina Suot at 15:48, 16:48 and 17:48…bus’s run 15:02 and 17:02.

12:39 lucerne/14:15 Uznauch

l4:18 Uznauch (tight – 3 minutes connection – WOW) arrve 14:58 Sargarns

15:03 Sargarns arrive 15:11 Landquardt

15:20 Lanquardt arrive Samedan 16:57

Bus 701 Depart Samedan 17:02 arrive Bernina Suot 17:18.

The hotel tells me that the business doesn’t leave from Samedan – that it starts in Pontresina. However it doesn’t appear that way to me on the timetable…

Would someone be kind enough to put in the timetable Lucerne to Bernina Suot via Uznauch with the 12:39 departure headed in the direction of St. Gallen and tell me what you find for the Samedan to Bernina Suot option….

Appreciate it very much

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 22:55:23 #890204

The itinerary the computer has given you is perfectly fine.

The bus is indeed the fastest option from Samedan, as you are correct in that the trains from Samedan depart at 48 minutes past each hour. The reason you don’t have a fast change in Samedan between trains is that the 48 minutes past each hour trains are designed to be convenient connections from the traditional main line route Chur – Samedan – St Moritz (the Unesco rated ALBULA railway). Whereas your itinerary is via the Vereina tunnel route Landquart – Klosters – Samedan.

ps to understand the PDF I posted, look at it again, you will see the page number at the top left (1849). Scroll down to the second page (1850) and on the 7th line down on the timetable grid you will see the departures of trains from Samedan towards Bernina including the 17.48

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 July 2018 at 23:06:34 #890205

An alternative journey is:

Luzern 11:39 E 2575 Schnellzug Richtung: St. Gallen(CH)

St. Gallen(CH) 14:26 RE 4875 Regional-Express Richtung: Chur

Chur arr 15:48

Chur dep 15:58 IR 1153 Interregio Richtung: St. Moritz

Samedan arr 17:45

Samedan dep 17:48 R1953 Regionalzug Richtung: Pontresina

Pontresina arr 17:55

Pontresina dep 18:08 R4653 Regionalzug Richtung: Poschiavo
    Halt nur bei Bedarf (Bernina Suot –> Bernina Suot)

Bernina Suot arr 18:21

key to German words:

richtung = towards aka in the direction of

Halt nur bei bedarf = request stop

zug = train

so therefore…

Schnellzug = fast train aka express train

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 1:58:25 #890206

>> The hotel tells me that the business doesn’t leave from Samedan – that it starts in Pontresina. However it doesn’t appear that way to me on the timetable…

You are correct. Your 17:02 #701 bus from Samedan to Le Prese is an official connection at Samedan with the 15:20 train from Landquart. However, it’s the last bus of the day from Samedan to Le Prese. The next bus does in fact leave from Pontresina rather than Samedan.

If for any reason you happened to miss the 17:02 bus at Samedan, you could wait for the next train, which leaves Samedan at 17:48, arriving Bernina Suot at 18:21.

Alpenrose

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    6 July 2018 at 10:23:37 #890207

Thank you…..Alpenrose666 and 1960man your feedback and the schedule have been amazing helpful. Couple other questions if I may; is the bus easily located outside the train station in Samedan, is the cost for the bus covered with my Swiss Travel Pass and the connection at Uznuch which is only three minutes from platform 1 to platform 3 – is this difficult to make?

Appreciate everything.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 7:01:32 #890208

>> is the bus easily located outside the train station in Samedan

Yes, please see attached screen shots. I’m not sure which direction is served by the pictured bus stop, so just check if there is another bus stop across the road for your direction. There should be information at the bus stop about which buses stop there.

>> is the cost for the bus covered with my Swiss Travel Pass

Yes.

>> the connection at Uznuch which is only three minutes from platform 1 to platform 3 – is this difficult to make?

The SBB timetable only generates connection times that are achievable, but this is indeed a tight connection, given that you have to get from platform 1 to platform 3 with luggage, and aren’t familiar with the station.

It’s a small station, and there is a ramp for transferring between platforms, so you won’t have to deal with steps. You will go down the ramp on platform 1, under one set of tracks, then up the ramp for platforms 2 and 3. You should be OK – just be ready and waiting with your luggage at the train door shortly before the train pulls in to Uznach.

If you still are concerned with the short connection time, in the timetable you can click on Advanced search, then scroll down and change the Duration of transfer option from Standard transfer time to 10 minutes. Then the timetable will generate a new series of connections to get you from start to finish with longer transfer times.

By the way, Bernina Suot is a Stop on request station, so if you end up getting the train there, you will need to press a button inside the train to get the train to stop there. If you are getting the bus, you will probably also have to press the button for the Bernina Suot stop. There is a large display in the front of the bus showing upcoming stops, so you can press the button when the display shows that Bernina Suot is the next stop.

Stop on request is Halt auf Verlangen in German and Fermada sün dumonda in Romansch. (In that area, Fermada sün dumonda might be spelt slightly differently, as there are several varieties of Romansch.)

Alpenrose

charwinelove
    Participant
    53 posts
    7 July 2018 at 11:13:48 #890209

Thank you for all your help; appreciate your indepth knowledge….We leave Sunday for our trip; know that your insight and others on this group have helped so much. Next stop Zurich on Monday and then to Schauffhausen followed by Lucerne, Engadine area, Zermatt via Glacier Express, Lauterbrunnen, LaVaux Vineyard….can’t wait.

APPRECIATE EVERYONE’S GENEROUS SHARING OF KNOWLEDGE AND TAKING YOUR TIME TO HELP.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 5:58:28 #890210

You’re welcome! Have a wonderful trip!

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 23:54:02 #890211

The Uznach connection is a standard official connection in the Swiss taktfahplan. It is designed as a short cut, but my earlier suggested alternative to take the Voralpen express all the way to St Gallen removes the worry altogether. You would see a part of north East Switzerland that people often ignore, with views across to Austria and Leichstenstein along the way.

As with all Swiss bus connections, the bus from Samedan departs from immediately outside the station

• The thread ‘Timetable to Bernina Suot via Uznach & Samedan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.